Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Finally!--After all these years....

Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts

Hello! My name is Jen. I'm 37, a wife, mom of three, and full-time student (Holocaust/genocide, Peace Studies, Civil Rights, Human Rights,) sister, friend, daughter. . .
I have long toyed with the idea of dreads, always thinking I would eventually get around to doing it. In retrospect, like so many other things, I have not been ready--ready to ditch the hair care products, ready to ditch the combs and brushes, ready to take the time out for ME.

Last Spring I gave up shampoo almost completely--about once every third or fourth wash I add a dab of chemical free shampoo or baby shampoo to my baking soda mix. I wash my hair every 3-4 days, and use a lemon juice/conditioner mix (a few drops of conditioner with about 1/2 cup lemon juice, heavily diluted.) Yesterday was the last day I will mix conditioner with my LJ rinse!
About two months ago I was inspired to stop playing with my hair, or brushing my hair, frequently. I play with my hair often, especially sitting through classes, so this was challenging.

After much research and reading, I realize I am already well on my way to dreads. As I am being financially forced to take the summer off of school, I think no time is more perfect than now to begin this process, since I will not be so distracted and preoccupied with death and war. I already had plans to reconnect with my spiritual self over the summer; this creates an added bonus to the journey.

Today I packed up my hairbrushes and daily combs. Thursday/Friday I will ditch the conditioner.

I want to thank everyone here already. I seriously have spent the better part of my week thus far researching and reading, cross referencing advice between sites, and this is definitely the place I have felt the most comfortable with and trusting of. The atmosphere is friendly and inviting, and I feel I will be well supported on this new path in my life.

~Shalom!

updated by @nogawar: 01/13/15 09:25:04PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

black on black is hard to read

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ill fix it

--
Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts

Ahhhh, is it readable now? My phone was not being cooperative, so I typed it on my phone and emailed myself. :0)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok now that i can read it haha lemon might nit be the best wash i]option it soaks into the inner layers of the hair and damages it bleaching ittoo

since you got the summer off to dive into your spirituality you got to make your way to the rainbow gathering and stay there a few weks or a month orso

your dreads will dread like crazy whikle there

--
Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts
I know even heavily diluted baking soda irritates my scalp, so I mixed a small amount of coconut oil to the rinse (as well as the dab of conditioner) to counteract the irritation. Is there anything safe I can replace my rinse with?

soaring eagle said:

ok now that i can read it haha lemon might nit be the best wash i]option it soaks into the inner layers of the hair and damages it bleaching ittoo

since you got the summer off to dive into your spirituality you got to make your way to the rainbow gathering and stay there a few weks or a month orso

your dreads will dread like crazy whikle there

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

hows it iritate maybe your alergic?

if your not using the baking soda id recomend the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps or bronners if u dont got hard warer

--
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Welcome, Jen. Sounds as if you're starting at exactly the right time. Please post us some pics or vids now and again of your progress.

Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts
I love Bronners--but for household cleaning. I tried that at the beginning of my no-poo experimenting, and it's too strong, even diluted. ACV will work the same as lemon juice for me, my family can deal with the vinegar smell (I clean with vinegar just to aggravate them. Nice mom, I know!)I don't think it's an allergy to BS, just overly sensitive skin. It gets more sensitive with each passing year.

soaring eagle said:

hows it iritate maybe your alergic?

if your not using the baking soda id recomend the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps or bronners if u dont got hard warer

Nogawar
@nogawar
12 years ago
10 posts
I just took a bunch of pictures. I can't believe how many colors are in my hair--it's been months since I've dyed it and it's a rainbow of golds, browns, and reds!! I'll post them ASAP. :0)

hippiegal said:

Welcome, Jen. Sounds as if you're starting at exactly the right time. Please post us some pics or vids now and again of your progress.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form