Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I want my 3 years old daughter to have dreadlocks

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
Hello everyone :)I've been thinking about this for few weeks...I want my daughter to have dreadlocks.She has long, curly hair. She has TONS of hair for a lil girl. She hates her hair to be combed, cuz her hair gets tangled super easily. And dreads on its own! I think she as perfect hair for it.But of course, my husband doesn't want me to do that to her, and I bet everyone else will be pissed about it.But I think this will be great choice for her! She won't have to get her hair combed ever again! No more tears, or more pain!And I bet she will look beautiful with it!I don't know what I can do to convince them :(
updated by @lapis-angela-lazuli: 02/15/15 07:16:21AM
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
I've attached photo of her, so you can see how her hair looks naturally.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont convi98nce them ..leave it up to her to decide

if she wants dreads let her dread

explain the diference between natural and tnr explain what needs to be done to care for them (seperating)

explain that some ppl will be mean but many other will like it

and leave the choice up to her ..once she knows all she needs to know

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

awww shed be adorable with dreads and it would dread so easty yea sh e was born to dread its so thick too shed have some amazing drads

--
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
I hope she understand the difference.I think if she does want dreads, I'll do either neglect, or single twist. Since her hair separates itself very well.My mother keeps trying to convince me to cut her hair very short, which I won't do.And finding products that works for her hair is very difficult.
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
Thank you! :)I think she will be happier with her hair dreaded.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive known alotta kids who dreaded young and a few that dreaded from birth they all were such happy well adjusted kids

and im sure shed understand everything involved when u explain it all

--
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
Hope so! Thank you so much for your advice.
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

We're leaving my 2.5 year olds hair alone. His hair is silky and wavy though so you can't tell that we don't own brushes. He's unfortunate though in that everyone wants to touch his hair so it never gets a chance to knot up.

Explain to your husband that letting her hair dread isn't "Doing something" to her. Forcing her to have her hair combed IS and she obviously hates it. Why force her to endure something she doesn't have to? There's no reason for her to not have dreadlocks other than the opinions of other people and you know what? Other people are stupid as hell.

He loves his little girl right? He wants her to be happy as she can be? So why would he want to force her to do something that has no real benefit to her and only causes her pain? Dreadlocks are a legitimate hair style. Famous people, doctors, lawyers, people of all walks and ages have them so why shouldn't she? Especially if it will make her life easier?

He needs to focus on what matters. She needs to be clean. She needs to be healthy. She needs to be happy. Dreadlocks don't stop any of that from happening. Instead they help. Her hair will be cleaner without conditioners, her hair will be healthier if it's not being abused every day, and she will be happier because she doesn't need to sit through combings.

I remember being a little girl with a lot of hair. My hair was straight but it would break combs like nobodies business. My mom had to put leave in conditioner in my hair and braid it before bed simply so we wouldn't have to spend an hour brushing it out in the morning. I hated it. I hated bath time because it meant combing my hair. I hated getting ready for school because we had to deal with my hair. I hated my mom because she was the one who combed my hair. The only thing I hated worse than combing my hair was the idea of looking like a boy. I did NOT want short hair.

Are you the one "in charge" of her hair? If so, make your husband do it for a while. See what he says after a week of fighting her hair.

And really, how is choosing to cut her hair short any different from choosing to let it dread? They're both hairstyles that would make life easier for everyone. The only difference I see is that short hair has to be forced whereas her hair will dread on its own for free. And she can keep her long hair. Maybe I'm projecting but most little girls like to have long "princess" hair. Dreads will let her have that without having to brush it all out. (Speaking of princess hair...anyone else think Rapunzel should have saved herself some grief, locked her hair, and made herself a rope ladder? Yeah..that would have been too smart...)

As far as any fears of kids being mean to her...dreads won't change that. Kids are sometimes just mean and if they decide to be assholes they will find anything to make fun of and if they can't find anything they will make it up. I was called fat all through school. Even in elementary school. I looked through old photos recently and you know what? I wasn't fat. Not even slightly. Kids are nuts.

And you know...as far as kids go I'm pretty sure they think dreadlocks are pretty cool. I've never met a kid who got made fun of for having a mohawk, dreads, or funky dyed hair. Kids love that shit.

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
Thank you so much for your reply. That means so much to me! Someone that understand what I've been through.I had lots of hair as I was growing up too. I am biracial(mom is Japanese dad is black), and my mom had no clue what to do with my hair. She washed it everyday(that was a no no for my hair type), brushed the shit out of it, and braided my hair in two big braids. Over time, my hair was significantly thinner and fine. Which sucks major time.I do not want that for my daughter. I spend so much money for products, so much time combing or styling it, and I don't wanna cause her pain!I talked to my husband and he finally understand how this is gonna make things better significantly.Now I'll see what other relatives will say :/

Tied up in knots said:

We're leaving my 2.5 year olds hair alone. His hair is silky and wavy though so you can't tell that we don't own brushes. He's unfortunate though in that everyone wants to touch his hair so it never gets a chance to knot up.

Explain to your husband that letting her hair dread isn't "Doing something" to her. Forcing her to have her hair combed IS and she obviously hates it. Why force her to endure something she doesn't have to? There's no reason for her to not have dreadlocks other than the opinions of other people and you know what? Other people are stupid as hell.

He loves his little girl right? He wants her to be happy as she can be? So why would he want to force her to do something that has no real benefit to her and only causes her pain? Dreadlocks are a legitimate hair style. Famous people, doctors, lawyers, people of all walks and ages have them so why shouldn't she? Especially if it will make her life easier?

He needs to focus on what matters. She needs to be clean. She needs to be healthy. She needs to be happy. Dreadlocks don't stop any of that from happening. Instead they help. Her hair will be cleaner without conditioners, her hair will be healthier if it's not being abused every day, and she will be happier because she doesn't need to sit through combings.

I remember being a little girl with a lot of hair. My hair was straight but it would break combs like nobodies business. My mom had to put leave in conditioner in my hair and braid it before bed simply so we wouldn't have to spend an hour brushing it out in the morning. I hated it. I hated bath time because it meant combing my hair. I hated getting ready for school because we had to deal with my hair. I hated my mom because she was the one who combed my hair. The only thing I hated worse than combing my hair was the idea of looking like a boy. I did NOT want short hair.

Are you the one "in charge" of her hair? If so, make your husband do it for a while. See what he says after a week of fighting her hair.

And really, how is choosing to cut her hair short any different from choosing to let it dread? They're both hairstyles that would make life easier for everyone. The only difference I see is that short hair has to be forced whereas her hair will dread on its own for free. And she can keep her long hair. Maybe I'm projecting but most little girls like to have long "princess" hair. Dreads will let her have that without having to brush it all out. (Speaking of princess hair...anyone else think Rapunzel should have saved herself some grief, locked her hair, and made herself a rope ladder? Yeah..that would have been too smart...)

As far as any fears of kids being mean to her...dreads won't change that. Kids are sometimes just mean and if they decide to be assholes they will find anything to make fun of and if they can't find anything they will make it up. I was called fat all through school. Even in elementary school. I looked through old photos recently and you know what? I wasn't fat. Not even slightly. Kids are nuts.

And you know...as far as kids go I'm pretty sure they think dreadlocks are pretty cool. I've never met a kid who got made fun of for having a mohawk, dreads, or funky dyed hair. Kids love that shit.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form