Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How Do I Make My Hair Stonger As I Untangle My Dreadlocks?

Leonel
@leonel
12 years ago
10 posts

I haven't had my hair cut for more than 5 years now and they have been in locks for three years. I started with the crochet method and was foolish to think that using wax would help. They locked up great alright but they're not healthy. So I am thinking of untangling the lot and starting from scratch.

My problem though is that while trying to untangle one lock, I may be breaking plenty of strands. I understand that this because they have been in a cramped position for years due to the wax but is there a way I can make the hair stronger? This way, I can untangle all of my dreads (with plenty of congos to boot) and still have plenty of hair left for a natural run at dreading.

Thanks in advance!

updated by @leonel: 02/14/15 09:07:37AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well crochet broke alot then alots been shed as well every hair on your heads shed every 7 years so more then 1/2 of what u think is connected to your head isnt you will lose alot

but

to save as much as u can when brushing them out use alotta conditioner with protein and use a soft bristle brush as much as u can u might have to use a comb on the real tight spots but a soft brush wil do less harm

go slow and gentle

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Leonel
@leonel
12 years ago
10 posts

I was thinking of using any conditioner and now I'm glad I asked here first. I'll look for one with protein.

Thanks SE!

Follow up question:

Do you think I should untangle them all or should I keep the naturally dreaded part two inches or so from the roots?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm well its probly ok tyo keep the roots and give em a jump start

unless u want a fukll fresh starrt natural all the way

its up to u i guess

--
Leonel
@leonel
12 years ago
10 posts

Thanks again! I'll keep that in mind.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and cheapo conditioners maybe fine too but since the hairs kinda damaged already just thought somethng lil bwetter that nourishes and protects might not be a bad idea

--
Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

Jojoba oil may also help, it will help break down the wax too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

does it really? i didnt know that cause actualy jojoba is classified as a wax a liquid wax im not sure why since it doesnt have the properties of wazx ..being mailable solid at room temperature and im not sure if its hydrophobic or not

Mechell Arant said:

Jojoba oil may also help, it will help break down the wax too.

--
Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

it seems to follow the same pricipal as lighter oilsbreaking down heavier oils in my experience. i don't know the scientifics of why it works, only that it helped me remove wax from some of my locs. i used it in it's natural golden form like some would use to 'oil' their dreads, and lo, wax softened up and i was able to get much more washed out. it definately adds some strength though, it's loaded with tocopherols...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i use it with aloe every so often for a good conditioning and loge it and yea i use it in the pure golden form too good stuiff and lasts a long time

i used it 2 days ago for 1st tiume in months my dreads feel amazing today

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form