Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my dreads arent locking up

k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

What do i do? iv had my dreads in for a little over 5 weeks right now. they were started by backcombing and this is my story.

They looked pretty awesome the fist week i had them.

Iv been washing them once a week with dreadheadhq non-residue shampoo.

I use dreadheadhq wax and locking accelerator. I also palm roll, but not a ton

but my dreads are coming out i feel, there is so much straight hair in every lock and it pisses me the fuck off. and theyre flat as hell. i look like an idiot

i just re-backcombed a lot of my dreads, and i need to do something different this time. Any suggestions???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

updated by @k-money: 01/13/15 09:23:39PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

read http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/backcombing-dreads-guide about backcombing. they aren't "instant" dreads. it's a process & you are just starting it. allow it to happen, it takes time.

& don't worry about re-backcombing them. just let them be from now on out.

then read http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/waxing-dreadlocks-is-dread-wax about why wax is bad & read http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dread-wax-why-ya-dont-wa... for steps on removing it

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/palm-rolling-dreads-guide palm rolling is also unnecessary

get the wax out & they will start rounding out & fluffing up, & actually knotting up! just wash them, don't brush & they will lock up all on their own from there (separate as needed/wanted)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you used wasx thats why wax is a sc am dreadheadhq is a scam comb them out remove the wax they will dread themselves with no backcomvbing no wax no palm rolling nothing but thewax prevents dreading but also you cant expect them to be fully dreaded in 5 weeks no matter what

but u must must must remove the wax and forget everything dreadheadhq said

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Wax just holds hair together, it doesn't actually knot them. In fact, wax stops knotting. That is why you have so many straight hairs, not to mention that you are only 5 weeks in. if you washed the wax out and brushed them out, you'd see much more happen in 5 weeks on natural growth than 5 weeks with wax. You could TnR them or back comb them to help get the sections started, but locks grow on their own. If you just let your hair go and never brushed again, they'd grow into dreadlocks. There will always be loose hairs. Mine are more than 5 years old, and I still have loose hairs here and there. It's what dreadlocks are. They are naturally messy hair. You'll have to be patient while they form and mature. That messy stage is where most people become in love with their progress, anyway.

And when you get all that wax out, wash more than once a week. 2-3 times is what you should do for baby locks. Washing is what really helps them knot up faster

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

let me go on to explain some more

these are my dreads (4 or 5 years ago they are longer now) to dread i went camping in the woods.. i traded for a few beads stuck em in my hair and it dreaded right up

no backcomb no palm roll no nothing

now there were flat dreads and still is a flat spot in a couple but sleeping on them makes them generaly round out when you flatten them 1 way 1 night then roll over and flatten them another way the tendency is to generaly get rounder.;. but the 1that refused to go round and stays flat will be your fave cayuse its not boring and round

loose hairs will always be a part of dreading you will hasve them at the roots always and along the body of the dread especialy when clean when u wash they get lil frizzy but it settles down in a day or so tho ..you notice it more ten anyone else.;.others see dreads u sdee looswe hairs..hjust ignore them

they wil get less and lessas they mature but will nevefr go away

dreads take time

mine dreaded fast meanung they looked like dreads in just weeks of doing nothung..but they still took a year to mature all the sites claiming maturity in months are lies they cause an illusion of maturity while actualy nmaking real maturity take way longer ..liker wax and crochet crochet makes them so tight they cant dread and takes 6 months to a year to loosen enough for any dreading to start! and wax caqn prevent dreadung even 5 or more years later they still wont be dreaded (and the washing still hasnt gotten the wax out)

you cant rush dreads or you rush them being lost

all the rubbing and rolling and opioking and prodding will do is cause them to weaken break off andf be ruined

theres no substitutes for the 3 magic ingredients time patience and neglect (leaving them alone to dread)

no matter how much money you waste or time you waste working on them it still comes down to just letting them dread themselves

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

thank you everyone for this. i will try without all the products.. but also i have a loose fit knitted wool tam hat. should i wear it when i sleep?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if you wear it when u sleep u will find it on the floor in the morn its good to wear sometuimers u can try while u sleep but it will fall off more often then not

and..the wax mucht be removed wich is very hard to do thsats why its easier to start over or u can get the wax remover from www.dreadlockshampoo.com and ise that (thiose soaps are way better too)

--
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Stop maintaing them and throw all that dhhq shit in the trash!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form