Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do Dreadlocks make it harder to find a job?

TruCourage
@trucourage
12 years ago
2 posts

So I've already dedicated to having locs when my hair grows back out, with this declaration though I'm getting the constant warnings though I got the first time I was thinking about it, mainly : "You will not be able to get a job with dreadlocks". Looking through this site though I see tons of responsible friendly adults with beautiful dreadlocks, and I sincerely doubt everyone here is unemployed or stuck with a minimum wage job.

My question then is have you experienced hardships in the job world because of your dreadlocks? If you have what were they? What can i realistically expect? How can I present myself with dreadlocks to an employer to allay misconceptions? Or just minimize any damage at all?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

updated by @trucourage: 01/13/15 09:22:52PM
Timmy Kehoe
@timmy-kehoe
12 years ago
7 posts
When I started my dreads I worked at a deadhead bar so I had no problem however my other job at a push restaurant didn't like it & gave me an ultimatum so gave my notice
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres a dreads and jobs section i just moved this to yiu wont have any issies to minimize issues is act like you dont have dreads dont mention them if they mention them look confused like you have no idea why they would even dare mention them then say why is it a problem you do realize that this country has a bill of rights wich includes freedom of reoigion and dreadocks are an expred=ssion of every religionthere is practicly

so descriminatin against dreadlocks is ilegal

but yea its not hard to get a job with dreass afrer all your selling your skills not your hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TruCourage
@trucourage
12 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for moving it, my computer is slow and i have a hard time navigating the site sometimes.

Thats good to know, I was starting to get worried myself when looking around the city I noticed how few people I saw with dreadlocks in employment positions, but its probably just coincidental. Rock the confidence and the rest will follow I suppose.

soaring eagle said:

theres a dreads and jobs section i just moved this to yiu wont have any issies to minimize issues is act like you dont have dreads dont mention them if they mention them look confused like you have no idea why they would even dare mention them then say why is it a problem you do realize that this country has a bill of rights wich includes freedom of reoigion and dreadocks are an expred=ssion of every religionthere is practicly

so descriminatin against dreadlocks is ilegal

but yea its not hard to get a job with dreass afrer all your selling your skills not your hair

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I just got my first job since having dreadlocks. I had an under the table sort of job before this where no one gave a shit at all. But this is for a retail store job and I got hired right away after my interview. I don't think very many places will care if you have dreadlocks as long as you keep them neat and do your work.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form