Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello everyone! I'm new here and just wanted to meet everyone. c:

David Breza
@david-breza
12 years ago
12 posts

Hello fellow dread heads! (Well, I'm not sure if I can classify for that title yet. I just sort of have messy hair if you ask me.) Anyway, I'm about 2 months and 3 days into my dread journey and so far I'm really enjoying it! I came to this website mostly looking into the guides and such, finding them to be extremely helpful... Although being here for 1 day I haven't really gotten the chance to try anything out yet... But nonetheless I've learned so so much already!

I just wanted to kind of introduce myself and my dreads to you guys and girls, and hopefully get some feed back. I'm completely fine with honesty as long as it's polite so just shoot it at me lol. How are they coming along? Is there anything I'm doing wrong, etc etc?

Some things you might be interested in: My friend did a combination of both rip and twist and back combing, I washed my hair for the first month or so with Knotty Boy dread shampoo (bar), the first month or so I would also occasionallyspray salt water in my hair and palm roll all of them, I've washed about once a week (hair that is lol), and for the past 3 or 4 washes I've just took a little bit of baking soda and palm rolled as many dreads as I could manage and then rinsed them out (recommended by another friend with dreads.) I honestly have no clue if this is bad for my hair or not, but it seems to be doing it some justice so I've continued. Though I've gotten a lot of new ideas already... I'd be very thankful if anyone could give me some pointers! And finally if you're still here and I haven't bored the hell out of you, here are some pictures! :P

Oh yeah, and 2 or 3 bottom ones fell out :( So my friend re did them as best as she could and rapped them up with some stuff.

updated by @david-breza: 02/14/15 09:42:09AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

So they are looking really good, but don't be scared when they fall out. There's really no need to re do them every time they come undone. It's part of the process. If you keep forcing them to tangle by tnring them or back combing them every time they untangle, they will take much longer to knot and mat on their own. With how they look now, I'd just let them be.

Keep washing them, but what you are doing with the baking soda is not going to help you. The way to do a BS wash is to get about a liter of water and mix in about 1/2 a tbls of BS and let itdissolve. Then pour it over your locks, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it out.

As for the palm rolling, I started mine with it, and to be honest, It takes forever to do and they'll just come undone when you wash the next time, so why spend all that time palm rolling your hair. I'm sure there are other thing you could be doing with your day.

At the age that your locks are at, you should be washing more than once a week. The more you wash then faster they will knot. 2-3 times a week is better for young locks. When they mature, you can go down to once a week.

I'll let Eagle go into the hazards of Knotty boy products. he knows his stuff. But before he does, I'll just let you know that that stuff is pretty harmful to your hair.

I hope I wasn't too harsh. I tried to be polite, but there were multiple things I figured I could help you out with

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

And the sea salt should only be used about an hour or less before you wash. Otherwise it'll dry out your scalp and cause them to itchuncontrollably

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u didnt use wax did u? and palm rolling really isnt nesacary or useful and if over dione can be harmful

thry look like they are doing fine tho

are u ..palm rolling dry baking soda into them i was confused about that part

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
David Breza
@david-breza
12 years ago
12 posts
Thank you so much for all the feedback already! That's great! And yes you were very polite, no worries. :P However to clarify, I haven't used the knotty boy bar shampoo for over a month as I heard that their products do more harm than good. Thankfully I knew better to NOT put any wax in my hair as well. As for the salt water, I haven't done that in over a month either for it did start itching like crazy. :P And what I do with the baking soda is I sprinkle just a tad bit in my hand, spread it around with some water, and then palm roll it into the dreads. I was already planing on adopting the baking soda mixture with the herbs ad oils I saw on here. One question about that though, should I still be washing them 2/3 time a week using that method? And for how long would you think Ill be washing that often?Excuse any weird typos or auto corrects... I'm on my phone now due to my Internet being down. :/
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

im 22 years in and i wash 2x a week sometimes 3 i used the baking oda for 4 years then now i use these www.dreadlockshampoo.com which i find to be even better

the baking soda is best as a no touch soak..pour on soak then rinse

and you use arekatively small amount with alot of water

then follow with acv to rest the ph

--
David Breza
@david-breza
12 years ago
12 posts
Awesome, I must say thank you guys again for all the solid advise. I really appreciate it. Just 2 more things though if you don't mind. I'm assuming acv is the apple venigar stuff? I'm not too certain on the abbreviation. And lastly, how would you recommend I sleep with them? I've put them back in a little pony tail almost every night since I've had them, bad? Good?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yes acv-apple cider vinegar and i just toss em out of the way off tio tghe side up over the headboard whatever mine are very m'[long tho i just dont like the lumps under my back other then that u dont gotta do antp[ything special..whatevers comfy

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'd leave them hanging freely as much as possible, so I wouldn't tie them back when you sleep, but like Eagle said, I don't like the lumps under my back and they are long enough that if my weight is on them, I can't move my head around, so I just toss them over the end of my bed. Don't know what I'll do when they're long enough to hit the ground. I don't have a headboard

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont either any more so toss m to the side

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form