Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Swimming Pools

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
12 years ago
81 posts
Heey Guys and Girls!I was just wondering if the chlorine in the water in swimming pools can hurt ur dreads?Or if there is anything else in the water that can?
updated by @lazdaa: 02/14/15 02:08:45AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

just be sure to rinse really well after!

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
12 years ago
81 posts
How can i make sure that i can get it all out?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you rinse really well afterwards, the majority of it will be out. The damage that it causes will be there no matter what, but don't take this to mean that you should never go into a swimming pool again. We can't love our lives babying ourselves or our locks.

The chlorine will lighten your hair over time and will make it dryer, but if you're not planning on swimming for hours a day every day, don't worry so much about it

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if you soak your hair in fresh water 1st..like from a hose less chlorine penetrates and is absorbed

also

do not use baking soda after chlorine

acv isnt bad tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Why shouldn't you do baking soda after chlorine?

soaring eagle said:

if you soak your hair in fresh water 1st..like from a hose less chlorine penetrates and is absorbed

also

do not use baking soda after chlorine

acv isnt bad tho

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

While both the chlorine used in pools and BS are alkaline, it is always a bad idea to mix any chemical with chlorine. BS won't create mustard gas like some other chemicals would, but other noxious fumes could be created. Not to mention that the mixture will raise the pH of the water. You want the pH on your scalp to stay constant. water is usually slightly over 7. Raising it makes your scalp too basic. It won't burn like an acid, but it can cause mild chemical burns if you don't rinse it out really well and right away. It's just not a good idea.

I couldn't tell you the concentration of BS you could use safely without knowing the concentration of chlorine in the water.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Thanks Baba Fats. Chemistry was never my forte.
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Oh I got a good one for ya: what do you get when you mix baking soda and apple cider vinegar?

I found a few scary vids on YouTube with these girls putting globs of dry baking soda on their damp dreads, scrubbing it around and then... oh you'll love this... spritzing on apple cider vinegar directly onto their hair. My jaw nearly bounced off the ground a few times when I saw this.

They said, "it's sizzling. i can feel it and hear it. I love how clean my hair feels afterwards!"

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I love Chemistry. Something about it. I feel at ease when I look at a periodic table. Kind of like people who count things or wash their hands a dozen time, or lock and unlock their doors

BS and vinegar make Carbonic acid. It's the stuff that makes soda fizzy. It breaks down really easily into CO2 and water. Cold temps help it stay stable, but soda goes flat fast out of the fridge because it's warm. That fizzing is the CO2 bubbling off.

What is left over is the salt form of nail polish remover. Add more vinegar and, again, you get a basic solution sitting on your head for long periods of time, especially if you are sitting there listening to it sizzle.

Not to mention that it's got to smellhorrendous. I can't stand the smell of acetate in a lab setting, let alone on my head in a small bathroom.

What video was that?

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form