Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

why are they straight???

noah klap
@noah-klap
12 years ago
2 posts

its my 6th day trying to get natural dreads and they were starting to knot up, the top of my head was full of fussies, it seemed like i was progressing quickly, this moring i washed and now my hair is straight! there is very few fuzz, im too scared to check for knots in case they break apart, and i feel weird! the recipee i used was 3 cups of water mixed with 5 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 and a half tablespoons of sea salt, washed for about 10-15 minutes, rinsedthen i had 3 cups of water and mixed 2 capfulls of acv, poured on andrinsed it right away. got out, shook my head a little, and off i was. this is my second time washing besides the very first day.HELP!

updated by @noah-klap: 01/13/15 09:22:24PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The problem is that this is only your 6th day. No one usually see much progress until a few weeks in. And they won't start maturing until months to a year.

You can't rush locks. It's a continual process of 2 steps forward and one step back. They will progress a little and then unravel a little. Then progress a little more and then unravel. This unraveling is what makes your hair kinky and ready to keep knotting. If you're going the natural method, it can take a little longer, but is more healthy. Time is the cost of healthy locks.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your BS wash is a little heavy on the BS. In 3 cups of water I'd probably only put 2 Tbls of BS

noah klap
@noah-klap
12 years ago
2 posts

what happens if theres too much BS?

Baba Fats said:

The problem is that this is only your 6th day. No one usually see much progress until a few weeks in. And they won't start maturing until months to a year.

You can't rush locks. It's a continual process of 2 steps forward and one step back. They will progress a little and then unravel a little. Then progress a little more and then unravel. This unraveling is what makes your hair kinky and ready to keep knotting. If you're going the natural method, it can take a little longer, but is more healthy. Time is the cost of healthy locks.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your BS wash is a little heavy on the BS. In 3 cups of water I'd probably only put 2 Tbls of BS

Jackie C.
@jackie-c
12 years ago
34 posts
I just use a pinch of sea salt and about 1/3 cup bs in 3 cups water. I pour the diluted bs on my hair first thing and let it soak. I scrub my scalp w my finger tips just a tiny bit, then leave it until the end of my shower, about 10 mins. Then I rinse it out. Then I do the acv rinse and rinse that out right away. I think Baba Fats is right about the forward and backward progression of the locks. This sort of thing definitely requires patience. Another thing I noticed was that it took my hair a good 2 weeks to get used to not using shampoo. My scalp was really oily until it came back into balance.
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

two cap fulls of acv in the ammount of water your using is way to much. that could easily soften your hair to much which works against knotting. just use half a cap full, thats how much i would use in about a half gallon of water.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form