Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Of Cats and Dreads

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

The two don't mix, lemme tell ya! Especially a pissed off cat you're trying to ease into a sink full of soapy water.

My twenty year old Siamese, Big Mouth(and yes, she does have a big one), wrapped her front paws around my head in a hug and yowled in my face, "SAVE ME, Mom!" and then dug her claws into my hair around the back of my head. Bad move. I couldn't get her off my face!! Picture the old 1980's Alien movies with Sigourney Weaver and the 'hatchie' face hugger aliens. Exactly that. Only furry and yowling like a banshee with tuna breath. That was me and my cat yesterday afternoon.

I ended up having to sit on the couch, lean down and lay her back in my lap while I dug her toes and claws out of my hair one at a time while my husband held onto her.

Moral of story: Dreads are a health hazard around pissy cats. Don't let them near your hair. Keep their claws clipped and keep them below shoulder level when carrying toward water or they might flip around and face hug you and then you'll be in a world of hurt.

It's not their fault, really. It's hard to be mad at them for very long. I mean, it's not like they purposely set out to trash your hair but still.... it's a hard lesson to learn. I never thought I'd have to keep my hair away from my cat.

updated by @angel-frye: 11/12/15 06:05:36AM
Coloursnrainbows
@coloursnrainbows
11 years ago
21 posts
I know your pain with the kitty claws. But mine isn't as crazy as yours. :). My mokey likes to play in my hair at night time when he makes himself a comfy place on top of my pillow at the top of my head.
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

She gets younger and weirder every single year. She was eleven or so when I married my husband. I hated her guts. I have NEVER hated a cat before(I am a cat person) but... such a bitch! Hubby said that she was ten times worse when she was a kitten. Nobody could stand her but him, who she was in love with. Big Mouth has certainly mellowed with the passage of time. Now she follows me like a dog. Heaven forbid I try to take a piss by myself, she's trying to bust down the door. Closed doors offend her for some reason.

I think I want a Burmese next. Siamese are just tooooo much of a good thing. Or maybe a mutt. Yeah, I'll take a mutt next.

Velcro.. hmm.. I haven't had the pleasure yet. And hopefully I never will! lol That sounds like fun, Noodle-Doo. I imagine that the more mature the lock gets the less the pain/aggravation? I hope...

Ya know, I just had a visualization for a really cruel act. (what does that say about me????!!! GAH!) Taking a really long strip of velcro and winding it around and through a person dreads at the roots where the hair is fuzzy, catchy, and super grippy. Then leaving them like that to fend for themselves. I have absolutely no idea where this came from. Don't ask me.

Coloursnrainbows, I am so mightily jealous of people who have sane, playful cats. I pray these two felines of mine never get the inclination to do such a thing with me at bedtime. The Meezer already likes to do that with hubby(before he kicks her out for not shutting up(surprise surprise) and/or kneading on his head with her paws ten too many times). I call her Sticker Paws because she sticks to everything she touches. It's like her toes are Extra Long or something. She retracts her claws just fine but her toes don't allow them to fully release what she wants. It's funny because when you pick her up or are putting her down she splays her toes out wide like kittens do out of instinct because she knows she tends to stick to things. Like my clothes. And skin.

You should see my new housecoat I got for Christmas. Trashed. It looks like a rag now and it's only March. Son of a bitch cost my $60. I should have known better. Good heavy Turkish terry cloth. I can't have anything nice. She kills everything. She can't even play nice. The other day I was trying to tickle her front paw toe pads to entice her to play. She got so wound up trying to smack me that she ended up catching my face. It was literally a bitch slap. A really hard one. Shocked me. Shocked her, even. I was sitting on the floor and she was at eye level. I really should have known better. She 'plays' with everything like it's her next meal. She's not mean, per say, ... she just never learned to play correctly.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

mine burrows into my dreads in bed when i use the nag champa shamoo..like my dreads are catnip

but when she was young (a crack head rescue found her starved to death locked in an abandoned building on thanksgiving ..we were feeding the hood with everybodies kitchen)

anyway when she was young she was such an attention whore shed climb up my dreads to attack my fingers when i typed ..my dreads were heer ladder..not fun..but cute

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Awwwwww! Felines are too adorable sometimes. Bet that's fun trying to turn over in bed without dislodging her.

That's funny that she's attracted to your soap. My big boy, Killer Kitty, is one of those oddball kitties who doesn't react at all to catnip. But if I have the raw lavender EO on me or near me he goes absolutely batshit crazy. He pushes so hard into my hands to be pet that he hurts my wrists. Likes lavender but not catnip? wth. Cats are weird.

The Mighty Hair Ladder. lol. That would make an awesome lolcat pic.

Here's a good one--

Speaking of lolz, these will make a few people laugh:

An ode to my children some days....

ok, Not the last one. But it was still funny. Enjoy. I luvs the lolz.

updated by @angel-frye: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Your Burmese boy sounds like a hoot!!! B&E and robbery? Wow. That guy sounds like he was a rascal. I bet your other pets just loved him. lol Always bringing food home and teasing them with it. I can imagine you coming home to a house full of half plucked birds and wondering what the hell you walked into.

Had a cat when I was a kid who was the sole reason no lizards in our entire neighborhood possessed their original tails. She'd just step on them and let them walk off. Then she'd go find another lizard and do the same thing. Sad for us as kids because we thought for several years that everyone else's lizards were 'weird' because they HAD tails and ours didn't!! lol. Ehhh...five year olds.

Yes, I have to agree with the sentiment that Oriental breed cats are nuts. The 'highstrung' description which typically goes along with the breeds' bio doesn't really tell the full story. They're just full on NUTS. But nuts in a good way, ya ken? (Depending on their raising.)

I love that they love people. It's adorable. But when one is trying to meeze(this is a verb in our house) you to death because you refuse to go to bed when she tells you to... the sanity is a bit questionable. They're bossy as shit. No? What is that two letter word? Oh yes, it really means YES. But only if you let me convince you by sitting right in your face and meezing at you for another half an hour. Don't want to kiss me or hug me right now? Too fucking bad! You're going to do it or I'm going to follow you around and trip you every time you try to move forward. You're going to think I'm the new carpet. I don't mind if you have a broken neck. Your hands still work don't they?!! You can still pet me(Her logic. Not mine.) Or I'll just passive aggressively hack up a watery hairball in your favorite leather sandals. (That was a nice trick she did last week) Or I'll sneak up on you while your sleeping and when you open your eyes I'll be staring deeply into your own only about an inch away from your face and make you scream your head off. OR I'll act like your alarm clock. Only I'm not your alarm clock, I just wanna be because it seems like a really cool thing to do this morning because I'm BORED and you're not paying attention to me. I'm the Princess and I'm awake so by God you're going to be awake with me to adore me the way I should be. My little black nose needs rubbed and you know I have that itchy chin condition. You're the only one in the world who can scratch that itch just right. The corner of boxes or tables just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Carnage seems to be an obsession with the breed. Little Big Mouth adores watching gory TV. She sits on the arm of the couch right beside me or on my husband's knee and the more screaming she hears she slowly digs her talons into whatever she's resting them on. Tail and whisker twitches. Body squirming in preparation for leaping and hunting the evil monster... the whole nine yards.

Last night was too funny for words. So here's hubby and I sitting on the couch. Big Mouth's on his bare knee with her dainty little paws hooked over it. We were watching reruns of Buffy. Some booga booga jumped out in the show and she got so excited and squirmed so hard that she twitched herself right off his knee. Claws outstretched, she slid all the way down to the floor trying to grab onto her Daddy's knee again. He was screaming, she was scrambling, and I was laughing. A while later she was sulking because he wouldn't let her back up on his lap. Gee, go figure.

When she really gets going and wont stop being a toddler we have to ground her to the porch. Only for five minutes at a time but still, it horrifies her into behaving. She can't stand to be alone.

She mothers the two kids, who are 11 and 13 now. They're homeschooled and when I leave the room where they're working she plops herself down in the doorway and stares at them. I tell her to mind her kittens and she stays right there in the room with them. When I get onto them about something and raise my voice she always has to put her twenty cents in. Loudly. YELLING at them. Like, "YEAH! And.... yeah!! That's right. Ok, so ... what are you going to do differently tomorrow!? Ok. So... FINE! And... WHAT SHE SAID!" As soon as it's over she stops. The poor kids. lol They've got two mom yelling at them at the same time.

It's impossible to really play with her, like I said before. When you try to entice her with string, after a minute or two she dives after your HAND. You can see her eyes moving up the string to see what's controlling it. She wants to kill the hand, not the string. Too damn smart. Thankfully, she's a sweetheart. A little crazy. But a sweetheart.

She's twenty years old. I've been saying for years now that when she dies I want to get another meezer. My husband says no, that he would be heartbroken. Well, that and he doesn't think he'll be able to survive another meezer's kittenhood without strangling it. They're so loud. I want one, though. I think a boy would be good.

Keagan R Walker
@keagan-r-walker
11 years ago
23 posts
Cats clean themselves, I don't think it's healthy for you to was them. Especially if its 20 years old it has its routine set it doesn't wanna get handled in a big drink
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

She tends to smell skanky after a few months without one. And once she gets IN there she's ok. She just sits there and lets you do your business with her... as long as the water is warm enough. If that's to her liking then she's alright. It's the getting her into the water that's the problem. She forgets every single time that she really doesn't mind taking a bath.

I also keep her shaved during the summer because she get so hot. She loves it!! Runs around all frisky like a streaking naked kitty. I think I have a pic of her shaved in my pics area here.

I comb her and thin her fur out with a ShedEnder to keep hairballs down to a minimum. I trim her claws once a month. She's a real priss and loves it.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

oh pics pics pics!!!! YES!

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

KITTYS AWWW

HAHAH AWWW

FUNNY