Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just another newbie question

Gabriel Schubert
@gabriel-schubert
12 years ago
13 posts

hey guys, ive had my dreads for almost two weeks now. i am in no way shape or form upset or impatient with them but i just want to know if this is normal. i have washed them twice and after each wash, the next day they seem to loosen and lose what little progress they made. i am guessing this is normal. some have totally come apart, and i just twisted and ripped them into newer smaller dreads. and some are very flat. i put beads around a lot of them and it seems to be helping with staying together and when i get loose hair at the root i just take the bead off and slide it into the bead with the dread. i backcombed by the way. sorry i know a lot of people are not happy about this method, but i just want to know, is it normal?

updated by @gabriel-schubert: 01/13/15 09:21:40PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

completely normal. Locks are a progression. They will loosen up a lot if not come out completely before they start to come together again. back combing and TnR are really just good for blue prints of where the sections will form. Back combing is not terrible. It does do some damage, but it's by far not the worst thing you could have done.

Good idea using beads and then replacing them over the loose hairs. Beads help section your hair and sometimes, even, help knot them up faster.

Keep up with what you're doing, but don't reback comb them. If they fall apart, let them, they'll tangle again. Back combing helps kink you hair and it'll be easier for it to tangle. Just let them be now. Keep using beads if you like them, and don't ever use bands.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what are you washing with? how/ (technique) how are u drying?

everything normal however those factors can affect it

improper washing and drying technique as well as a shampoo thats not dread friendly can cause extra unraveling

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gabriel Schubert
@gabriel-schubert
12 years ago
13 posts

im using 1/2 cup baking soda in 2 quarts of water

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

maybe lil strong but ok and..acv?

your not scrubbing? and what bout drying

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gabriel Schubert
@gabriel-schubert
12 years ago
13 posts

not using acv. drying im using a blow drier but i think im going to stop doing that and let it air dry

Gabriel Schubert
@gabriel-schubert
12 years ago
13 posts

thanks man for helping me out. if they do come all the way out im going organic anyways so i guess its the best of both worlds haha

Baba Fats said:

completely normal. Locks are a progression. They will loosen up a lot if not come out completely before they start to come together again. back combing and TnR are really just good for blue prints of where the sections will form. Back combing is not terrible. It does do some damage, but it's by far not the worst thing you could have done.

Good idea using beads and then replacing them over the loose hairs. Beads help section your hair and sometimes, even, help knot them up faster.

Keep up with what you're doing, but don't reback comb them. If they fall apart, let them, they'll tangle again. Back combing helps kink you hair and it'll be easier for it to tangle. Just let them be now. Keep using beads if you like them, and don't ever use bands.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form