Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

almost 3 months. Should I take rubber bands off my roots ?

Lauriee dread brannon
@lauriee-dread-brannon
12 years ago
2 posts

They feel pretty tight but still alot of loose hair, just dont want to mess up the progress i have and avoid alll the lose hairs pulling out

updated by @lauriee-dread-brannon: 01/13/15 09:21:33PM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Yeah, take them all out, rubber bands stop the hair from being able to move around and dread properly. If loose hairs do come out, they'll join again, so it's OK.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

What they said. luckily it looks like none of them are on super tight. after 3 weeks they shouldn't have done much damage, but bands can squeeze locks too tight and cause crimping which will create weak spots on your locks.

You should never use bands. I did when I first started and I've got a few crimped points on a few locks that haven't healed themselves after 5 years. Take them off now. They look great. locks tend to loosen a little before they tighten. It;s part of the process.

All of those loose hairs will get sucked into other locks. if you want to use anything, get beads to put on your locks. Beads work better because they can freely move up and down your locks.

Not to mention that if a band gets sucked inside a lock and dries out it can rot and cause rotting inside a lock. You don't want anything to rot in your hair . That's nasty

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Looking at that last picture. How big are those sections? They look like they could easily be 2 inches wide. Are you sure you want them that big. I like sections that big, but just so you are aware, they will turn into locks a wide as your wrist.

If you want locks that big, PM me and I'll give you some pointers on how to take care of them when you wash and dry. Massive locks do not dry the same as smaller ones. When they grow out to be that hick expect them to take upwards of 10 hours to dry completely

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes rubber bawnds should come off at day 1 take them off

rubber bands can be swalklowed and dry rot into a sticky nmess inside dreads they create weak points

get then out now and hope to god uiget em all

keeping rubber bands in monts is a bad bad bad idea

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good eye baba they do look like huge sections

and 10 hours? wait till they are long and huge

try 48+

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lets get more details here

besides backcombing and the rubber band mistake

what else have you done and tried

what are you washing with how often

just need all the details since you got some bad advice along the way

--
Lauriee dread brannon
@lauriee-dread-brannon
12 years ago
2 posts

This is my 2nd set of dreads, all though they are 10 years apart, I remember leaving my bands in for almost 5 months and I did not notice any long term damage, but I gave my babies a good washing and took out the bands I want happy knots :) I usually wash my hair 2xs a week with Dr Bspeppermint bar soap and I blow dry, I do a lil finger rolling to keep everything in place, I try not to palm roll my 1st set of dreads i palm rolled alot and they were so uniform and perfect I want more of a natural look this time... I only used wax the first day I backcombed then and it was a very very small amount.. I learned mylessonthe first time aroundtook almost a year to get all the wax out Yuck!!!!! Thanks for all the advice, I thought my hair would be a frizzy mess when i woke up but everything was still lookn good :)

and as far as the Fatty dreads in the back I'm well aware of their size :) their my Fav... I have a total of 41 dreads on my whole head my first set i had around 30 i wanted them a lil smaller this time I have fattys on the bottom and smaller ones on top most of my sections are 1x1 for the most part though... I cant wait till they lock up a bit more but Notice new progress all the time :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

rubber bands never should be used period but if u usedd wax 1st tikewhy would u use wax again

get the wax remover from www.dreadlockshampoo.com and get the wax out

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form