Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thoughts on bone and antler dread beads?

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

So I've decided to try my hand at making up some antler dread beads out of deer antler... Does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't? And also I'm curious but for some reason Etsy doesn't have ANY antler or bone dread beads, this is weird to me.

updated by @australe: 02/03/18 10:36:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive had both u do want to boil or lightly bleach to sterilize 1st ive had bone beads like skull beads and also ..vertebrae make wild beads

but like i said do something to kill any bacteria if they are found bones or antlers

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

yep most definitely... I've seen something about using a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture to bleach the antlers... and would probly do a bit of boiling as well... I'm pretty sure the antlers I've got coming to me are from kills for food... but considered that that might be distasteful to some people. I also know that I can get my hands on naturally shed antlers as well for those who have problems with hunting (even if the hunting is to put food on the table)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive only used what i found in the woods

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

Thank you Jenzi... thats exactly how I feel. I was also raised with hunting being a very important part of getting food for winter time, there were times we probly wouldn't of HAD food had it not been for us hunting and having some close friends to the family donate part of their kills to us. My father was a Pennsylvania Game Commissioner for 20 years before he retired from it. Its a touchy topic for some people so I tend to tread lightly. After talking to a friend of mine up home he knows a guy with a deer farm so I would be able to get my hands on naturally shed antlers if it came down to that.

Jenzi Zillig said:

I'm a big animal person and it took me a long time to realize that deer hunting is better for the deer as it controls population issues that saves them from inbreeding anddiseases running rampant. I come from a big hunting family and the animals are only killed when using the meat for food, we never mount or "trophy" the animal. what is left my father returns to the land for scavenger animals, continuing the cycle of life.I understand your hesitance to use bone because of the sensitivity of others but if it's what YOU want go for it. I think it's a lovely homage to an animal that gave its life for food, thus sustaining the life of others.

(for those bothered by this, my family is also very involved in different advocacies for humane treatment for animals, and my father not only hunts but has even orange collared a doe he saw on his land that adopted THREE fawns in addition to her own due to poachers hunting out of season, we do NOT support poaching or "anytime hunting". And if his deer are large and there is more meat than we need he donates itto Hunters for Hunger and the meat is sent to families in need. just wanted to clarify :) )

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

When I was younger and more naive I used to be really extreme in my views about hunting, thinking people who hunted were all just evil people who kill animals for fun. Whereas now it's like...eh. As long as you respect the life you're taking, not make it suffer, and are actually using what you kill, then it's OK in my book. But some people obviously are against the killing of any animals for any reasons, so that'd put people off, but I think bone/antler dread beads would be fantastic, they sound cool, definitely.

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

being native american my family has always killed for their food. people that hunt nowadays. i just dunno. it takes them five arrows before they cant kill it. this is veryyy cruel. im more of an animal protector. i believe they were here to teach us. we should protect them and care for them. i do find killing animals as quite distasteful as in "controlling population". i find that disturbing. i believe in natural selection, i guess?now if it were food purpose, im a little more lenient with that. my culture. they use every part of the animal, heart, brain, skull. this is not problem. sort of why i respect india. because most from there are vegetarian. not that i hate on meat eaters but ive seen so many animals brutally murdered that eating meat is not my specialty anymore. however, back on the subject. i find that these beads would be rather interesting. i would wear them! as long as you werent just going out killing animals for the bone. if you just found the bone, or it was from an animal you humanly killed for the meat and decided to use the bone for a purpose. i would thank you for that. im sure the animal would too. it would be good to know that its body was being used for something other than the pleasure of human consumption. peace and love<3

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

i agree! respect the life it gave for you!

Tara C said:

When I was younger and more naive I used to be really extreme in my views about hunting, thinking people who hunted were all just evil people who kill animals for fun. Whereas now it's like...eh. As long as you respect the life you're taking, not make it suffer, and are actually using what you kill, then it's OK in my book. But some people obviously are against the killing of any animals for any reasons, so that'd put people off, but I think bone/antler dread beads would be fantastic, they sound cool, definitely.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm in between. I am a vegetarian, but I really want to learn how to hunt. For my own spiritual reasons, I don't eat meat, but I would if I hunted my own food.

That being said, I love Native American cultures. I try to follow their beliefs as much as I can, but I don't know about this one. I agree that it is a homage to the animal that died for you, but is it really correct to adorn yourself, for beauty, in the remains of the dead?

A friend of mine who hunts on the regular, always makes two trips to the same spot. Once to hunt and clean the animal, and then again later on to bury the skull. I always liked his methods. But then again, While learning to hunt, I want to learn to tan as well. Would making clothes from the hides of animals that are functional, rather than for looks, make me a hypocrite?

Thanks for the discussion.

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

This was enlightening, and I am glad that everyone is sharing their feelings on the subject with me. Thats why I asked about it so that other's COULD let me know their view points, and I understand that this is a really controversial topic that I've brought up. I would NEVER consider killing an animal for the sole purpose of getting bone or antler to carve, and think about it, if someone is killing for a trophy, they aren't going to give me the antlers to cut up and carve. What I'd be able to get my hands on would be either naturally shed antlers, or those from an animal that was killed for food. And though I know that there are some people out there that have no business having a weapon in their hands, most of the people that are close to me are very good hunters and also would use as much of the animal as possible. And the way I'm looking at it its just one more purpose for that animal to be used for. Who knows, I may start playing around with it and decide its not for me... but I may and really end up enjoying myself with it :) Again everyone thank you for your thoughts and feelings on this topic, they are appreciated and respected.

Naked Naturalist said:

being native american my family has always killed for their food. people that hunt nowadays. i just dunno. it takes them five arrows before they cant kill it. this is veryyy cruel. im more of an animal protector. i believe they were here to teach us. we should protect them and care for them. i do find killing animals as quite distasteful as in "controlling population". i find that disturbing. i believe in natural selection, i guess?now if it were food purpose, im a little more lenient with that. my culture. they use every part of the animal, heart, brain, skull. this is not problem. sort of why i respect india. because most from there are vegetarian. not that i hate on meat eaters but ive seen so many animals brutally murdered that eating meat is not my specialty anymore. however, back on the subject. i find that these beads would be rather interesting. i would wear them! as long as you werent just going out killing animals for the bone. if you just found the bone, or it was from an animal you humanly killed for the meat and decided to use the bone for a purpose. i would thank you for that. im sure the animal would too. it would be good to know that its body was being used for something other than the pleasure of human consumption. peace and love<3

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form