Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Damage, please help! :(

Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
okay, so.. I started using sea salt spray because I heard it helped tighten up dreads quite a bit. my dreads are only 3 months old. it worked pretty good at first, I was like sweet, tighter dreads, right? I overused it and didn't wash it out as often as I should have because the sea salt spray also kept them pretty clean. I also rolled them more than I probably should have. well on my 3 month dreadiversary I washed them like I normally do, and a shitton of hair fell out. my scalp is burning, my hair is brittle and dry feeling, and my dreads thinned out A LOT, especially at the root. I folded the hair at the root over itself and put rubber bands in to keep them together for now. I know this is my bad, so please don't lecture me or anything, just tell me what I can do to help them be healthy again! and don't worry, if they come out of this alright, I WILL be going natural with them :) thanks for any advice you can give me in advance.
updated by @joni-marie-hash: 02/15/15 08:32:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

the root rubbing was tye worse and too much palm rolling and over dryuing but take out those bhands right away before you make it worse]

ryubber bands never belong in dreads

pics'

umm any products used? or any other things u did?

we will helpo ya dont worry

how often do u wash too and with what'ever been bleached or anythng too

the more details the better

i doubt its as bad as u think in just 3 month

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

srry bout typos sick and sleep deprived

but ok

if the sea salts over d-ried u can do a real light conditioning or

well i highly recomend thes bars www.dreadlockshampoo.com for super healthy hair but u can do a light aloe or jojoba treatment but i mean just a lil since yiur dreads are so young

--
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
I washed with an organic bar of soap I got from a health food store type place. I wash it approximately every week and a half or so, sometimes more or less than that depending on what's going on at the time. they're not bleached, well I have highlights in my hair, but they were there before I dreaded up. I put the rubber bands in because they thinned out so much at the root and I didn't want them to break even more. when I say they thinned out a lot I meant it I lost like a third of my thickness. it seems like what's left is the core of the dreads though, because they're pretty solid, the hair itself is just dry and brittle, it's like the outside hair just fell away. I'll try to get some recent pics up as soon as I can. what would you reccomend for the super thin roots?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

not sure the soaop u use is anmy good to use just cause its orgasnic or says organic dont maj[ke it dread freindly at all andwashing mkore often is best try twisfe a week at least for now and stop thye salt

i wiuld take out the bands when u say "folden]=d" you mean what i hope u didnt root folip or put tyhe dread thrugh tyhe rootrs

id have to see how tyhin they git but rubbing the roots can caus damage tho the roots tend to feel tyhin since they renttight u can pinch em ifthery truly are thuinning and aboutto break thgen let them cingo

u can firce ciongos (i diont mean by force byut encourage em to congo by giving em no other choice) or just allow it to happen

if u go with the im gonna make u congo then wraop or bead 2 thin dreads together not rubber band wrap ijn hemo]p or em,broiderythread or put a bead over 2

therubber banbds should come out now thio

--
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
okay, thank you! I shall take them out after I post this. I didn't put the dread through the roots, I just folded it over top of itself, like made a Z shape with it and the rubber banded it that way. sorry! I didn't know what else to do, which is part of the reason I joined this site. one more question. this happened like 2 days ago, it's still dry and brittle feeling, I'm afraid if I wash it like this, it'll strip my hair more or something. should I wait to wash it for a while, or do it soon? thanks for your help and advice :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

id wash and id use a il pure aloe or a kil jojoba or if u have no acces to ajything like that evenj just a lil olife oil if olive ..very lil like try a few driops in a gallon water if its still tioo dry try a few mkore

--
Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
all righty, I'll try that soon and see if it helps :) thank you so much. I had watched your youtube videos and heard a lot about you before coming to this site and, honestly, I was really hoping you'd help me, so thanks again :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

well glad ya came so i could

--
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

what about just doing an avc rinse as a wash? acv always makes my hair super soft so maybe it would help you.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form