Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Howdy!

Sarah Cushing
@sarah-withrow
12 years ago
3 posts

I'm Sarah, I've had my dreads for a little over a year now and I've become obsessed with them! :) I unfortunately used to use dreadhead's wax and after finding this site several months ago I finally threw it away and have been letting my dreaddiez go all natural. I'm hoping to repair the damage that's been done to them by the products i used to use and occasional crocheting. I've really been debating on starting them over naturally or waiting and hoping time will repair them. I love this site--it's too addictive, can't believe i'm just now joining it. :)

updated by @sarah-withrow: 01/13/15 09:19:36PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Time will not repair the damage wax caused. You need to gt it out. Normal washing wont do it. You need to get hot water and dawn dish soap. The water should be as hot as you can stand it. Fill a pot or bowl with the water and add a ton of the soap. Dip each lock in the water for a few minutes each and rub them and work the wax out. Hot water helps bring the wax back to a melting point and will make it easier to work it's way out.

Unfortunately, just doing this once will not get all the wax out. You will need to do it over and over again for weeks at the least and months at the longest. It's really hard to tell if all of it is out. So even if you think it is, do it for a while longer to make sure. It will loosen up your locks a lot, but it's worth it to get all the product out.

There are good explanations under the dreaducation tab up top.

As for crocheting. DON'T DO IT! All a crochet does is breaks up your hair into smaller pieces of hair. it weakens each lock up to 30%. Not to mention that you will end up have so many loose frizzy hairs that it will drive you nuts. And then you'll just try to control them more with more crocheting. In the end you won't have long strands of hair tangled into a lock, you'll have a bunch of tiny broken hairs that you can only hope and pray don't break off in the middle of a dreadlock.

Sarah Cushing
@sarah-withrow
12 years ago
3 posts

I haven't used the wax in almost 6 months, luckily I only used it a few times and a tiny amount-it seems like I've gotten it out since then but I'm sure there's some icky's somewhere in there. My biggest concern is from the crocheting--I had gotten so frustrated when my locs were younger cause the roots wouldn't dread and got talked into using the crochet hook--even though it's been some time since I used it it seems that the damage is just starting to show, some of my roots are quite a bit thinner and tighter than the rest of my dreads-which freaks me out since my sister in law had dreads for about 12 yrs and always crocheted them until a huge chunk came out and now 3 yrs later has a huge bald spot. Oddly she's the one who talked me into crocheting them!??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Welcome well, crochet repair doesn't really happen I mean they get better. But the damage can't be repaired. The wax probably is still in there. There is a new wax remover coming out very soon, the only reason it did delayed is she is perfecting it, but she got strong enough it turned more into a gel so she needed to order a different packaging. That should be ready any day now.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarah Cushing
@sarah-withrow
12 years ago
3 posts

I will be looking forward to that wax remover definitely! In the meantime I shall try the hot water soap method and hope for the best. :) thanx for the responses, I will be cruising around the site reading up on any helpful advice I can find!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form