dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help with small/thin dreads

Joseph Hazim
@joseph-hazim
12 years ago
4 posts

Hi

I'm new to this sort of stuff butI was wondering what would be the best way of growing small dreadlocks like this? Thanks

updated by @joseph-hazim: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

If you wanted to do it completely natural, you could just wait and see how thin your hair sections itself and see if it's what you want, but if not, you could always section it yourself and use twist & rip, but I'm not sure how easy that'd be since the sections would be so thin. That seems like the best option though, I'd say.

PeacewithDreads
@peacewithdreads
12 years ago
14 posts

That's a pretty awesome picture. I have very "thin" hair and my dreads are extremely thin, and I am cultivating them as such because with thin as my hair is, if I had a bigger dread I'd have maybe 2 on my whole head (lol). That being said, you can have a certainl amount of control over it yourself.

It is fairly easy to twist and rip small sections. However, on thin hair, t&R tends to split the ends andthey won't be nice and pretty like this picture is.Thisguys dreads seemvery organized and coiffed. Not sure, but I suspect this is not natural neglect. He probably used wax (advise against it, but your choice - look at the forums on this before going that route though). Spreading Eagle (S.E.)would be a better expert at looking at that picture.

It depends on how your hair is. If you have thick coarse or curly hair, dreading will come easier, but probably not like the picture. However, I noticed in my limited experience that when you first start out, the tendancy is for the dread to come undone as you wash and wear, etc. I would recommend you get some of the dread locking gel that they sell on www.dreadlockshampoo.com and maybe even theirshampoo. As you let your hair go, if you go natural, it will start sectioning before dreading. (i kept wondering why my hair would do it. I thought it was oily but it was merely beginning its thing.)...the gel actually does help keep the dreads together while they are still young. I have not been using it long term (i am only in for 48 days, so i still have babies.) I had to get the "gel" because my hair, everytime I rinsed, when it dried, the new strands that had formed while wet, and before washings would slide on out.

Not sure this helps, but wanted to give it a shot. Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

You called me spreading eagle not soaring Eagle, but they don't look natural to me they could be but it don't look like it. If you want to go natural just keep separating them into thin sections. If not just do twist and rip making less than pencil size at the roots. Don't judge it by this section of the hair the hair that you are working on. By that I mean size of the dread you're trying to make will be much thinner than the section size until it starts into a mature. The quarter inch section will be making a very thin dread until it actually dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

One more thing to note, thin dreads like that you'll have hundreds of dreads. When they get long having hundreds of dreads will be pain in the ass. they will tangle evrywhere everywhere and be hard to keep track of. You'll probably end up letting them Congo and thicken up in couple years anyways

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
12 years ago
56 posts

I think that is trent reznor in the flour days of NIN. Im fairly certain those arent dreads, he has flour and water all over him. They used to douse themselves in tons of it lol! Thats what the white powder is :)

Joseph Hazim
@joseph-hazim
12 years ago
4 posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Joseph Hazim
@joseph-hazim
12 years ago
4 posts

princenoobsauce said:

I think that is trent reznor in the flour days of NIN. Im fairly certain those arent dreads, he has flour and water all over him. They used to douse themselves in tons of it lol! Thats what the white powder is :)

Yeah I guess so but i have seen lots of photos with his hair like this when not on stage so guess it can't just be the powderbut thanks for the reply:)
Joseph Hazim
@joseph-hazim
12 years ago
4 posts

updated by @joseph-hazim: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form