Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Palm rolling- useless?

wurdido
@wurdido
12 years ago
8 posts

On this website, i have seen many people say that palm rolling is completely useless and is a waste of time. i have even seen people call it damaging/destructive. Although i am just a few months into my dread journey, i have found these statements not to be fully true. i find palm rolling to be useful on two instances. If you palm roll after a sea salt spray, i have noticed that the hairs that have wrapped into the dread during palm rolling, are more likely to stay in the dreads. also, if you wake up and your dreads are flat, which is a common problem that people have. palm rolling helps return dreads to a cylindrical shape. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say about palm rolling. feel free to add another use to the list below. Or if you feel palm rolling to be destructive, please share. thanks!

updated by @wurdido: 02/14/15 03:32:15AM
stephen
@stephen
12 years ago
12 posts

In the begining i palmrolled almost every day some times twice a day. THEn to be honest i just got lazy and stoped and realy i havnt noticed any diffrence except the rounding effect it has can be usefull as u said on a flat dread after sleeping but other than that i find it compleatly useless.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Palm rolling will make them rounder for about an hour. it will stick hair in for about hour. It does nothing permanent. However sleeping will flatten them one way one night, And another another night Which slowly makes them round. So it is useless sleeping does the same exact thing. As far as first damage, in order to do anything permanent you have to do it aggressively, and obsessively which causes friction damage weakening of the roots and even in extreme cases dreadlocks loss.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

i wouldnt do it because i feel it would potential reverse natural dread progression. my beard is long enough now and out of habit i play with it often when i am thinking. since it got longer i have been twisting it and after about a week or two of twisting my beard hair i notice many falling out, or breaking.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

It seems like the more you play with locks the more you generally pull hair out which needs to stay in, speaking from personal experience.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's useless, as far as I'm concerned. All of my dreads have rounded themselves out except for two (and they're only flat at the top or where the hair isn't dreaded, obviously), so even if palm-rolling did help, it isn't actually necessary, because it fixes the flatness itself. Plus my experience with it is that it rounds them out, but only until you next sleep on them. It doesn't actually round them out properly, just creates a rounder shape for a while. I think they round themselves out and stay round when they're mature(?), so palm-rolling isn't really going to make a difference in that aspect.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Yeah that's the entire purpose of palmrolling. When people use wax is no hair movement so no knotting. And no dreading. Palmrolling compresses the hair into the wax to make it seem like it's it's dreading getting mature. That's the only reason Palmrolling's used

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
lysergic.nightshade
@lysergicnightshade
12 years ago
41 posts

I palm rolled almost every day for a couple weeks about a month ago. I did it after I got out of the shower when my hair was dripping wet. It did help the appearance of some dreads that were completely random looking, flat in all different directions (if that makes any sense). But it did also loosen up a lot of hairs along the length of the dreads, especially at the ends. I regret doing it now.

Hayzle Bell
@hayzle-bell
12 years ago
3 posts

i had a few paddle-like ends where my locs were blunting themselves. after i got out of the shower one day i palmrolled a few of them. it definitely evened them out, less of a big lump on the end, and they stayed that way. they probably would have tightened up and lost that look on their own though.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

I've got a hypothetically stupid question but I really feel like I have to ask. If you do have that paddle shape on the ends, what would happen if you took scissors and carefully trimmed it to take off the rounded out shape and make it more pointy like it should(I know that's subjective) be?? My curiosity is killing me.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form