Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Facebook parenting for troubled teen

princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
12 years ago
56 posts

Have any of you seen this recent viral video?

Yeah the kid is very rude and disrespectful, but she's a KID! This is scary to me. To humiliate any child in front of almost 3 million people with firearms is really unfortunate and over the top. I see so many things wrong here I don't even know where to start. According to the comment section, I am of a rare opinion. I hope its fake. How do you feel about it?

updated by @princenoobsauce: 02/14/15 04:40:10AM
princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
12 years ago
56 posts

sorry if this is in the wrong section

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

As a parent of two pre-teens who use computers every day for virtual school, I can total empathize with the parent. A certain amount of trust is necessary for us to be successful for school at home. I cannot watch over them the entire day. And just today I caught my 12 year old on a video game website during school hours. It's the first time it's happened and he was royally chewed out for it.He knows that if I can't trust him then he has to go back to brick-and-mortar--- NOT the best option for a 12 year old who's in 9th grade!! He'd get eaten alive.

Other parents at our virtual school write on our discussion boards about the nightmare they have controlling their kids during school time online. Would I destroy my child's computer if I thought it'd make a point? Yes, if he turned into the type of spoiled little brat the other parents are describing. Currently, he's just starting to enter the teenage angst years but if it gets worse then yes, our reactions will change in response to the severity of his bad decisions.

Both our children have a list of chores to do daily around the house and also to assist me when I need it. Slaves? Hardly. More like they're learning about how to take care of a household and not being catered to. I even reward them for helping and not back-talking. I don't have to, but I do. We have a reward ticket system set up for 15 mins extra video game time per day, stay up late certificates, etc...

I was raised to help out around the house and am much better off for it. I take responsibility for my actions and do not throw temper tantrums when someone expects me to clean up after myself.

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

It's hard to have an opinion with just one side of the story (if it's true). Depends on a lot of things. Maybe the kid was worked to hard and by the looks of it is possible seeing the reaction of the father...not the best example of self control and maturity. Maybe the dad is crazy and what not or maybe she really is a spoiled brat and yes kids in our society are way more spoiled now then it was when I was a teen (I did not have a TV for a long time and we did not have much food) . That being said the reaction is a littleextremeIMO. It's hard to tell by just one video but I must say I laughed at all the Americanstereotypesdisplayed in one video.

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

honestly i think most of the negative attention its getting is because of the gun at the end. i was raised in the country in oklahoma where guns are a part of everyday life. anyone raised in a similar manner didnt think twice about him shooting up the computer. my dad would have done the exact same thing! would it have scarred me for life? no. would it have made enough of an impact for me to regain some respect for my father? absolutely. i love my dad for every bit of tough love parenting he ever instilled on me. tommy jordan was completely within boundaries by making this video. he has said he had no intention of it going viral like it has. he posted it as a response to HER bratty rant, and to the same audience. he was addressing the topics that she addressed (some of which she lied about) and he defended himself. he had every right to. this little girl learned a hard life lesson, and i guarantee she wont do it again.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

If she grows and learns from the experience then in ten or fifteen years she'll look back and cringe in embarrassment and not in anger. We all do stupid stuff as teenagers and young adults. We're meant to push boundaries to figure out where they truly are. But part of growing up is learning to feel remorse for the hell we put our parents through so WE become better parents for it. If we never did some of the idiotic things we did when we were younger we'd be pretty crappy parents and never learn how to say no to our children until it was far, far too late.

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

well said angel. i just showed the video to my 12 yr old daughter. she couldnt believe there were actually people that think his response was wrong in any way. i guess it all depends on the standards of discipline people are used to being held to. do you guys do k12?

Angel Frye said:

If she grows and learns from the experience then in ten or fifteen years she'll look back and cringe in embarrassment and not in anger. We all do stupid stuff as teenagers and young adults. We're meant to push boundaries to figure out where they truly are. But part of growing up is learning to feel remorse for the hell we put our parents through so WE become better parents for it. If we never did some of the idiotic things we did when we were younger we'd be pretty crappy parents and never learn how to say no to our children until it was far, far too late.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I don't think the video is that bad. I mean, she sounds very disrespectful and spoilt, and maybe a video ranting about it is a bit over-the-top, but parents are humans too, they have reactions and limits, so I guess he's just trying to get her to see his point, and what he's doing is just because he wants her to realise that she doesn't have it so hard. I mean, it'd be bad if he was making her do everything, but it's not bad to expect your 15 year old to do some things for other people around the house as well as for herself. Have to move out of the house sooner or later, and you'll never survive if you don't have some sense of independence beforehand. Anyway, like I said, his actions might have been over-the-top, but his goal was definitely not to just humiliate her or whatever, just to get his point across

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Well I guess we all get a chance to mess up our kids in our own special way :) But seriously I really don't see how we can have a decisive opinion with out knowing all the facts...maybe you are right and she reaped what she sowed but I don't know how you all were raised but I was raised by an abusive father and this kind of aggressive rant gives me a bad vibe . Her father isprobablya nice an wellbalancedman and she will learn from her mistake ( sheprobablyis spoiled) but I think it is normal that some of us find this reaction a bit over the topconsideringwe all have different back grounds and some of us do not share your American culture.

Amy Lee said:

well said angel. i just showed the video to my 12 yr old daughter. she couldnt believe there were actually people that think his response was wrong in any way. i guess it all depends on the standards of discipline people are used to being held to. do you guys do k12?

Angel Frye said:

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

My youngest is a Connections Academy and the eldest is at a charter division of Florida Virtual School. K12 allows too many unsecured areas for our taste and unless kids make an 80% or higher on all their assignments they are not allowed to move forward. Retaking a test so many times doesn't say how well a student studied, just how good they are at taking tests. Anyway, on with the topic at hand:

JDwood: "Well I guess we all get a chance to mess up our kids in our own special way :)"

Yes, we do! And hopefully we'll all get a chance to say we're sorry years later. In the meantime all we can do is think hard about all our options, ask for advice when we are able to, and go with our gut instinct. Trial and error, too.

There are times when we even have to ignore therapist's advice because we know our children better than they do.We've done that before. Several times, in fact. My youngest has the 'I just don't wanna' gene + ADHD and lemme tell ya-- he's hell on wheels to get through the school day! (Yes, he is medicated.) Two lessons + a video + a review worksheet take this boy until 9pm when he's in one of his moods. He'd rather watch the walls and our two cats then be dragged kicking and screaming through his school day. Therapist says, "there's something going on here besides ADHD... you need to take him for more diagnostic testing." So we did. They all came back negative for any other emotional or learning 'quirk.' Flat out, the boy is just contrary by nature.

So while his brother is in high school at the age of 12 and this little brother who is only 16 months younger is repeating 5th grade next year.. hmm... tell me, anyone have any great advice there? I can't shoot his computer.

I don't think this has anything to do with national identity or currency boundaries. Wrong is just plain wrong. So is the reaction sound or over the top?

I don't have a gun but if I was in that guy's shoes I'd have taken a screw driver and taken the thing apart piece by piece right in front of her. We could always use the pieces for art projects. My husband makes custom toys for clients and man can he upcycle!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form