Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello, slightly uninteresting introduction!

Belle Neilson
@belle-neilson
12 years ago
4 posts

Hello everyone,

My name is Belle and I must start by admitting that I have been lurking around this forum for quite a long while now.

After a year of wanting them I finally had a friend dread my hair two days ago, she used twist and rip and no wax. I started with waist length hair which was quite fine and thin so I was not overly surprised to see it shrink to just below my shoulders when dreaded. I also only have 20 dreads but they are thickish.

However I am very happy with them and completely in love already! I cannot wait to see them mature and develop. I also look foward to getting past the stage of them sticking up at odd angles when loose :P

Love and happy dreading to you all,

Belle xx

updated by @belle-neilson: 01/13/15 09:18:53PM
Lee Anne
@lee-anne
12 years ago
2 posts

hi!!! Im new here too,its a wonderful informative place and everyone is so nice!! happy dreading!!!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Welcome, both of you. 20 locks is kind of few. Not that I mind. I have 14. But when they mature you might find it kind of difficult to dry them. How big are your sections? 1 inch sections are usually the biggest you want for easy of maintenance. 2 inch sections and your locks will grow in to be 2 inches thick. That's the width of your wrist. I like them that big, but it's not for everyone. They can take an age to dry if you don't figure out a rhythm for yourself. I've got some good tips for you if you need. Message me for some advice.

Anyway. Welcome, again. We're all here to give you guys answers to questions, or just to talk if you want to. The groups are great, and there's lots of info on the forums. Thanks for joining

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Welcome They are definitely going to be fatties when they mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

if your hair is as fine and thin as mine....the dreads will never be as thick as your sections. But what i would worry about is gaps. Because our hair is thin...it looks better with more dreads on top. (20 dreads are not very many). If not..you are going to have gaps between your dreads. You will see more scalp. I suggest taking the dreads that are on top of your head and making each one of those 2. Believe me....you will be happier with the way they look in the long run. It is a lot easier to do that now than it will be later on. I split one of my mature dreads on top in two a few years ago....it was tedious and painful. I wish someone had given me this advice in the beginning.

Belle Neilson
@belle-neilson
12 years ago
4 posts

Thank you Taye, I have actually taken your advice and started taking out some of my dreads and splitting them. I have done one side of my head and will do the other side tomorrow, should have around 40 by the time I finish. Its taking a long time but it will be well worth it later on!

Also thank you everyone else for the nice welcome :)

taye said:

if your hair is as fine and thin as mine....the dreads will never be as thick as your sections. But what i would worry about is gaps. Because our hair is thin...it looks better with more dreads on top. (20 dreads are not very many). If not..you are going to have gaps between your dreads. You will see more scalp. I suggest taking the dreads that are on top of your head and making each one of those 2. Believe me....you will be happier with the way they look in the long run. It is a lot easier to do that now than it will be later on. I split one of my mature dreads on top in two a few years ago....it was tedious and painful. I wish someone had given me this advice in the beginning.

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I think 40 is a great number! In my opinion...30 to 40 is perfect....not too thick and not too thin. I wish you all the best. Please let us know how it is going!!

Belle Neilson
@belle-neilson
12 years ago
4 posts

Just to update since you asked :)
I have now finished redoing my head (it took many hours and many films) and have 38 dreads. Interestingly they are now a lot longer, about bra strap length rather then shoulder length. I'm pretty thrilled about this but I have no idea how my friend dreaded them that way, they were very odd to undo. But no harm done in the end and they are looking a lot better, I shall get some pictures up soon!

taye said:

I think 40 is a great number! In my opinion...30 to 40 is perfect....not too thick and not too thin. I wish you all the best. Please let us know how it is going!!

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I can't wait to see the pictures :) your locks will shrink quite a bit more over the next year..so be prepared for it.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form