Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads get frizzy after shower

Vhazon Spires
@vhazon-spires
12 years ago
3 posts

Is there any way to avoid having my dreads get frizzy after a shower? I have to re-crochet them every time and it's very time intensive. Any help would be appreciated.

updated by @vhazon-spires: 02/14/15 03:35:15AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

stop recrocheting them. Every time you do it, you do more damage by breaking more hairs. the next time you wash those loose hairs pop up. then you crochet them to control the hairs, but you are breaking even more hairs up that will eventually stick out after the next wash.

If you stop trying to maintain your locks, they will fix themselves. the frizzies will stop and you wont have to keep trying to maintain them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Never crocheted dreads. Ever. all you're doing is creating loose hairs are breaking hairs every time you poke a hole in it. Dreads will get fuzzy when the clean that's normal. Crochet is extremely harmful and if you do it every time your dreadful not last a month you're making them weak and we damaged accept the loose hairs accept the fuzz. Dreads take a long time to dread up tight. When you crochet dreads, you make them way too tight. Which makes them take a lot longer to dread. It takes six months to recover from one crochet session. It takes way longer over a year, to recover from multiple sessions. You are ruining your dreads with that hook. Doing it all the time like that will make the falloff in no time. Throw the hook away immediately, join the crochet recovery and let your dreads recover. This will take a long time since you've done since you did such severe harm. It will take a long time to recover from this.

When you wash your hair, it is very clean so will be a little fuzzier than normal. The fuzz will go down in time. Your dreads are still young. They take time and don't get tight quickly. You have to give them time you can't force, you have to allow it. I hope you haven't done too much damage and they will recover. But if you have crocheted after every wash they may be very severely harmed. Dreads are loose hair that are allowed to dread. Allowed being the operative word. The more you force of the more harm you do.

You're not going to like this, but everything you've done is going to make them even much fuzzier. Recovery process will take conditioning to loosen up the extreme tightness of crochet which will make them even more fuzzy as all the loose hairs that you broke popout. You have to loosen them enough, to be able to move and dread. Once you start getting loops that when they're beginning to dread. that's when you stopp conditioning and let them tighten.

Crochet dreads get very stiff. because they are too tight. It is one of the worst things you can do dreads.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Look at your scalp. You should not have scalp showing. If you keep tightening your dread so much, you get bald spots a condition called traction alopecia. They can even cause permanent balding.

What you need to do as they recover, is leave them alone entirely. Dreads do not need to be worked on at all. The only thing dreads do need, is washing, and separating. And absolutely nothing else. Includes no palm rolling,root rubbing, crocheting, interlocking, rolling of any sort, rubbing of any sort. The b dreads thing you can do for your dreads is leave them alone to grow naturally. I hope you give them a very long time to recover from all the severe damage done.

--
Andres2
@andres2
12 years ago
70 posts

wow eagle, that was so easy to read. did you copy and pasted that?

Vhazon Spires dont get discouraged by what he said. take his advice, you can still save them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

No, actually started using the Dragon NaturallySpeaking is still screws up a lot, but it's getting a lot better

Andres said:

Vhazon Spires dont get discouraged by what he said. take his advice, you can still save them.

--
Andres2
@andres2
12 years ago
70 posts

no offense, but it's getting better. i can read it with one glance. i don't have to re-read it.

soaring eagle said:

No, actually started using the Dragon NaturallySpeaking is still screws up a lot, but it's getting a lot better

Andres said:

Vhazon Spires
@vhazon-spires
12 years ago
3 posts

Thank you all for your replies. I do have a question as a result, though. I work in a corporate environment, and I used the crochet hook to keep my dreads nice and professional looking. What can I do now? I can't have messy hair on the job.

Andres said:

no offense, but it's getting better. i can read it with one glance. i don't have to re-read it.

soaring eagle said:

Andres said:

Vhazon Spires
@vhazon-spires
12 years ago
3 posts

I don't mind doing that. My boss on the other hand...

BeanIrene said:

Yea, stop crocheting and let your hair do what it needs to do. Quit trying to force it with a crochet hook (which by the way, were made for..crocheting with yarn not hair).

Just embrace the messy hair, and go for the ride!

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Is your hair long enough to tie back? If so, you could do that and then use 100% aloe vera gel (preferably direct from the plant) as a hair gel to try and slick down the loose hairs.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form