Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

help with my mom

Katelyn Boyce
@katelyn-boyce
12 years ago
3 posts
i really need help with what to do. I have four small dreads about a few weeks old on the under layer of my hair. well when my mom goin out, she told me to take them out. when I didn't right away, she said if I don't that she'll cut them out. Im not sure if she will or if she's just trying to scare me. but I don't feel it's her business anyways. please help, thanks and peace and love.
updated by @katelyn-boyce: 01/13/15 09:18:48PM
Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Well that's a touchy subject but try and talk to her about it and explain that it is your personal choice and try and see why she wants you to cut them. Sheshouldn't force herself on youit's never a good idea because first it'sillegaland second it destroys the the trust between parent and child.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

under the law that counts as battery

she cannot forcefully cut them

now explain to her all the reasons to dread and why

ok ill write mon=m in a momment

dear mom

i am writting to you as someone whos had dreadlocks almost 22 years now and have helped people with dreads from age 2 to 70

dreads are an extremely perrsonal spiritual meaningful thing to most people i will try to explain alot 1st off myth=hs and realities

dreads are dirty- myth dreads must be clean to dread right however some misinformed peoople believe the myth and dont keep them clean its rare but true we do not sufp[ggest t6hat

dreads represent drug culture myth rastafarians use marijuana as a religios sacren-[ment this is true..foe=r some not all rastas but rastas are very anti drug anti drinking antoi tobaco and kep a very putre diet so although rastas maybe known for smoking herb thety are very against all drug use even sugar

amonst non rasta dreadheads matijuana use is no more common then among straight haird=ed corporate types and hard dru=g use is lower

dreads are hard to care for myth dreads are very easy wash and wear many especial older folks choose to dread because they are sick of using tons of condituionw=ers and combing painfiul tangles out dailt=]y

ok more facts dreads are the natural state of all hair combing samages hao=ir and is an unar=tural process rewuiring extra products to make combing easy or even possible

if hair is left to be as hair is intended to be it becomes dreads

dreads are beautiful and admired by most though its true some do hold a negative sterotype a false one and look down on dreads those people are usualy biggoted and close minded and not worth your time anyway the vast magority will give you massive respect and admiration and even scream nice dreads from v=blocks away as ou go by

a true story from my own mother sg-he was like you to years ago emv=barresed to be seen with me etc then christmass shopping 1 year a group ogf about 8 older women in their 70s surrounded me tioucj=hing my dreads sayingthey never saw anythubng so beautiful

that was the last complaint i ever heard i believe as a parent your worrir=edd how your childsappearance reflects on you as a parent well it will reflect favourably as u eb=ncourage her to become her best d=self she can be..an individual

more facrts dreads are not a racial or thing or owned by 1 culture or religion

the bible has the nazarite vow common to jewish christian and rastafarian

the naazarite vow states that you cannot comb or cut the hair and you follow a strict diet and have no contact with the dead amongst other things the nazarites are said to be the highest of the high the only ones who may speak to the devine directly without needing a preist to interperate and only the nazarites are to enter the kingdom of heaven (in the end times the crweator wil rake his hand across the land and his fingers will tangle in the locks i[of the devoted and lift them to the promiced l;and) i dont know your religion or o[-if yiou believe in that but joseph john the baptist samson and many believe jesus himself worse long dreadlocks and wee nazarirp-tes (jesus of the nazarine i a refferebnce since no nazarene ancient city existred at the time)

hindu muslim buddhist virtualu=y all beliefs except possibly hare krishna have tes=xts about dreading

now on to others king tut had dreads in fact many egyptian nobels did and dreadlocked wigs were also common in ancient egypt

norse warriors vikings native american chiefs you name it

dreadlocks were a sign of nobiliyty respect and above all wisdom

they were looked up to as gurus teachers leaders

in fact they shaped our realitty

the space program as an example the designer and builder ofthe saturn ri[ockets ..had dreads and now runs the biggest biodeisel refinery in the country

one of my freinds a member of my wenbsite is getting yhis phd in rocket science and soon will be working in the space program as well..with dreasds

now theres way more eeasons to deread

strength

dreads let u face critisism and become stronger

many young girls suffeer these days from mean kids a skilnny girl gets called fat once and suf[=-ddenly starves herself down to 65 piour-nds as an example dreading has cured anorexia eating s=disporders body image disorders social disorders because it gives u confidence to feelk beautiful no matter what iothers may think

theres so much more i canj say to you but i think your cho=ild has her own words she wants to say so ill let her explain m[her personal reasons now

byut let me fui-=innish with these notes

dreads affect you

thety becomed a part of u verty fast

and the losse of dreads can be devestating

depressing

make you feel a total loss of self and become hollow awhile

untill you dread again

please let your child be who she feels she must be

yiu will see possitive changes in her quickly

thanks

edit typos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katelyn Boyce
@katelyn-boyce
12 years ago
3 posts
wow, thank you, this will help soo much! I can't even start to explain how much it means to me that you've given all this information to help with me and my dreads. thank you, thank you, thank you! im so grateful I had the chance to talk to you :)

soaring eagle said:

under the law that counts as battery

she cannot forcefully cut them

now explain to her all the reasons to dread and why

ok ill write mon=m in a momment

dear mom

i am writting to you as someone whos had dreadlocks almost 22 years now and have helped people with dreads from age 2 to 70

dreads are an extremely perrsonal spiritual meaningful thing to most people i will try to explain alot 1st off myth=hs and realities

dreads are dirty- myth dreads must be clean to dread right however some misinformed peoople believe the myth and dont keep them clean its rare but true we do not sufp[ggest t6hat

dreads represent drug culture myth rastafarians use marijuana as a religios sacren-[ment this is true..foe=r some not all rastas but rastas are very anti drug anti drinking antoi tobaco and kep a very putre diet so although rastas maybe known for smoking herb thety are very against all drug use even sugar

amonst non rasta dreadheads matijuana use is no more common then among straight haird=ed corporate types and hard dru=g use is lower

dreads are hard to care for myth dreads are very easy wash and wear many especial older folks choose to dread because they are sick of using tons of condituionw=ers and combing painfiul tangles out dailt=]y

ok more facts dreads are the natural state of all hair combing samages hao=ir and is an unar=tural process rewuiring extra products to make combing easy or even possible

if hair is left to be as hair is intended to be it becomes dreads

dreads are beautiful and admired by most though its true some do hold a negative sterotype a false one and look down on dreads those people are usualy biggoted and close minded and not worth your time anyway the vast magority will give you massive respect and admiration and even scream nice dreads from v=blocks away as ou go by

a true story from my own mother sg-he was like you to years ago emv=barresed to be seen with me etc then christmass shopping 1 year a group ogf about 8 older women in their 70s surrounded me tioucj=hing my dreads sayingthey never saw anythubng so beautiful

that was the last complaint i ever heard i believe as a parent your worrir=edd how your childsappearance reflects on you as a parent well it will reflect favourably as u eb=ncourage her to become her best d=self she can be..an individual

more facrts dreads are not a racial or thing or owned by 1 culture or religion

the bible has the nazarite vow common to jewish christian and rastafarian

the naazarite vow states that you cannot comb or cut the hair and you follow a strict diet and have no contact with the dead amongst other things the nazarites are said to be the highest of the high the only ones who may speak to the devine directly without needing a preist to interperate and only the nazarites are to enter the kingdom of heaven (in the end times the crweator wil rake his hand across the land and his fingers will tangle in the locks i[of the devoted and lift them to the promiced l;and) i dont know your religion or o[-if yiou believe in that but joseph john the baptist samson and many believe jesus himself worse long dreadlocks and wee nazarirp-tes (jesus of the nazarine i a refferebnce since no nazarene ancient city existred at the time)

hindu muslim buddhist virtualu=y all beliefs except possibly hare krishna have tes=xts about dreading

now on to others king tut had dreads in fact many egyptian nobels did and dreadlocked wigs were also common in ancient egypt

norse warriors vikings native american chiefs you name it

dreadlocks were a sign of nobiliyty respect and above all wisdom

they were looked up to as gurus teachers leaders

in fact they shaped our realitty

the space program as an example the designer and builder ofthe saturn ri[ockets ..had dreads and now runs the biggest biodeisel refinery in the country

one of my freinds a member of my wenbsite is getting yhis phd in rocket science and soon will be working in the space program as well..with dreasds

now theres way more eeasons to deread

strength

dreads let u face critisism and become stronger

many young girls suffeer these days from mean kids a skilnny girl gets called fat once and suf[=-ddenly starves herself down to 65 piour-nds as an example dreading has cured anorexia eating s=disporders body image disorders social disorders because it gives u confidence to feelk beautiful no matter what iothers may think

theres so much more i canj say to you but i think your cho=ild has her own words she wants to say so ill let her explain m[her personal reasons now

byut let me fui-=innish with these notes

dreads affect you

thety becomed a part of u verty fast

and the losse of dreads can be devestating

depressing

make you feel a total loss of self and become hollow awhile

untill you dread again

please let your child be who she feels she must be

yiu will see possitive changes in her quickly

thanks

edit typos

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

Tell your mom, that one day she will be proud of your hair will be showing it off to all of her friends. The embarrassment the desire for you to cut it off, comes from a few different sources. She's worried about how it would affect your future which it won't. She's worried about how did it'll look to your friends and neighbors, which they will admire you. and she probably also believes some of the negative stereotypes. As she realize that these are usually false. She will start to admire them and show them off to her friends and family and be proud of you for being strong.

It might take a while but eventually she will get used to it.

--
Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Okay....that's verynarrowminded of you IMO...sorry but parents are not all powerful and all knowing even according to the law if youphysicalityforce something on your child (and it has nothing to do with safety likeputtingon a seat belt or something like that) it's called abuse. I don't know how it is in the US but in Canada and Quebec (where I live) people have rightsespeciallyif they are over 18.Physicalityforcing something on someone even your child can beconsideredabuse (depending on thecircumstancesofcourse) andassault. Maybe it's not like that in the US but no matter what it's morally wrong IMO to force your personal taste and belief on a child I'm a father BTW and I would never do that to my child no matter how much something would bother me. Your argumentbasicallygives the right to a parent to shave the head of a daughter and force her to wear men clothing if they wanted to.

Britany said:

if your under 18 then she can actually make you do it, and if your 18 and over and living with her she can still make you do it. Moms makes the rules. You can educate her on dread locks until your blue in the face it really wont change her idea of them. sorry.

Lindsey3
@lindsey3
12 years ago
64 posts

If ur under 18 id just wait. I asked my parents for dreads when i was 15.. showed them websites, pictures, had a whole presentation and they said no.Now that imalmost 21 they dont care..idk all parents are diff tho.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

Show her the pictures of the 4 to 6-year-olds on here with dreads that are really beautiful. Not to mention the moms and children and entire families that dreaded together. Show her the dreads and jobs section. We have doctors, law clerks, medical professionals, priests, teachers, you name it. Show her that there isn't a job in the world you can't do. Most likely, that is her biggest concern.

--
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
I'm a parent... with dreads. My kids are proud of them lol. It's not that parents have poor attitudes, its *people* can have poor attitudes. The only difference is a parent *thinks* they have to try and protect you from harm and criticism, and sometimes end up being far more critical in their efforts to protect you from strangers. Try not to give up on humanity for the flaws of the weak or unenlightened. :)Also, the quickest way to lose someone's support is to put them on the defensive. xo
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form