Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi! I'm Heather

Metal Heather
@metal-heather
12 years ago
7 posts

I'm 28 and a mommy. I've been researching dreads for just over a year now, trying to figure out if it was something I really wanted to do. After a four hour ride in the car with my baby brother I was convinced that I wanted them. Unfortunately, he was the only person in support of my decision. Fortunately I have never been one to heed warnings about doing things that are outside of the "social norm".

Today my dreads are a few days shy of two months old, and I LOVE THEM! Just like my ink and piercings, my hair is apart of my statement about myself. I've been referred to as a "free spirit" for years... I refer to myself as such too. I do what I do, I like what I like, and nobody's opinion will change that.

My three daughters are accepting of the ink and the piercings but they're very "concerned" about the fact that mommy doesn't brush her hair. Today we sat down and I showed my older two (8 & 9) photos on this site. They were shocked to see even children with dread locks. I explained to them that dreading is natural, they seemed to be a little more accepting of my decision... Lets hope they don't now ask their dad if they can dread their hair... I'm pretty sure he wouldn't handle that well....

Anyways, I'm quite excited that I found this site! Its refreshing to see people in support of dreadlocks! So far, this site is the only place I can go for any kind of positive feedback on the progress of my hair!!

updated by @metal-heather: 01/13/15 09:18:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

tell the kids they dont got to ask dad

if they wanna dread they can dread

we have grandmas with dreads too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Metal Heather
@metal-heather
12 years ago
7 posts

That'd go over with him about as well as a pregnant pole vaulter! haha

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

im glad to hear you love your dreads. i agree, people called me a free spirit because i was not afraid to let myself out of the shell. i was never really accepted by my family, only my grandmother. i did things out of the norm of our tradition. i dyed my hair all sorts of colors. i believe i had cotton candy hair at one point. i just was crazy , still am.haha. i also have some piercings. no tattoos, yet. haha. but anyways im so glad to hear of your decision, and your dreads! :D

Metal Heather
@metal-heather
12 years ago
7 posts

Thank you!!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

how old are your kids? That's a concern I always have. I'm pretty sure my kids will eventually want them. They'll have know their dad with them all their lives. Personally I don't believe kids are old enough to make that decision until their 10 or older. It's a mental maturity level that they have to reach before they will be able to handle caring for them and washingregularlyon their on. Plus being mature enough to not get crap in their hair that you have to wash out or cut out. At a certain age you can play outside without getting filthy all the time. I'm not against kids with locks, but only above a certain age and maturity level. If they want locks, talk to them about it. Talk to them about it the same way you'd talk to them about getting their first tattoo. It's a decision they need to think about for a long time and learn about before they jump into it. Sure with hair you can cut it or comb it out if they don't like it, unlike ink. But it's still a decision than warrants thought and consideration before you leap into it.

Metal Heather
@metal-heather
12 years ago
7 posts

I agree to an extent... my oldest is almost ten, she is the one truly interested in getting dreads.. my middle child is almost nine... she is quite intelligent and understands things that truly floor me.... she is interested but only because I have them... My yougest just tells me to brush my hair... I am a firm believer in allowing my children to express themselves, be it the music they listen to, the games they play, the tv shows they like or their appearance, so long as it isn't hurting them in any way I'm all for letting the express themselves.

My oldest and I came to an agreement, mostly because her father isn't interested in hearing why she wants them. We are going to wait until she is 13 and if she still wants dreads I will help her learn how to care for them. This way she is fully informed and a little better able to articulate to her father why she wants them. Thank you for your input! :-) It is truly appreciated.

Baba Fats said:

how old are your kids? That's a concern I always have. I'm pretty sure my kids will eventually want them. They'll have know their dad with them all their lives. Personally I don't believe kids are old enough to make that decision until their 10 or older. It's a mental maturity level that they have to reach before they will be able to handle caring for them and washingregularlyon their on. Plus being mature enough to not get crap in their hair that you have to wash out or cut out. At a certain age you can play outside without getting filthy all the time. I'm not against kids with locks, but only above a certain age and maturity level. If they want locks, talk to them about it. Talk to them about it the same way you'd talk to them about getting their first tattoo. It's a decision they need to think about for a long time and learn about before they jump into it. Sure with hair you can cut it or comb it out if they don't like it, unlike ink. But it's still a decision than warrants thought and consideration before you leap into it.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I think that's a great idea. I did the same thing with my parents when I wanted to get my ears pierced. We waited till I was 13. I think they regretted it, though, because I ended up gauging them and getting tons of more piercings and tats

Metal Heather
@metal-heather
12 years ago
7 posts

I'm a firm believer in letting the girls do the little things... I figure if I always say no to trivial things like the way they wear their hair, they are going to be hesitant in coming to me with bigger questions, like dating and what not ... regardless of what path they take with their lives I want them to know they're loved and accepted...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form