Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel Horror.

Wheelz
@delete
12 years ago
28 posts
It's been almost a week since I had my buddy over to do the hair gel, backcomb and lock and twist method and all the crap is out of my hair. He used very little of this gel, which is water based, and it seemed to be a good thing when it was still fresh and gelly, but after even the first day it dried up and made my head feel like hell. The hair was stiff and immobile and there was no locking or even hairs loosening up/twisting. They looked nice and neat but my head was starting becoming slimey and itchy. I posted on the Dreadlocks subreddit about them and was lucky that it was run sort of like this site. A lot of people told me to wash it out and one nice redditor (I can't remember their name now.) linked me to this site. Then I met Soaringeagle and read around here a bit and larned the true horror of hair products and dreading "methods." After a few days of the BS and ASV rinse my hair and scalp feel so much better. I've done the rinse three times which is pretty much what it took to get all that crap out of my hair. After the first rinse my back was covered in greasy slimey nastiness from the gel. AFter the second rinse there was slightly less but there were still afew hard stiff clumps of hair. I did third rinse yesterday and did a spray of some oils and (very tiny ammt) of vinegar and mostly water. I woke up this morning to almost an entire of head of new healthy soft clumps and I can already feel hairs in the back starting to thinkin up and move around more naturally.I made the mistake of going to Sally's to buy products. The girl wasn't sure and said "I heard this stuff works, if it doesn't bring ti back with your receipt." I haven't even bothered with the shampoo I got except for the day of the process. I'll probably take it back tomorrow. I wish I had found this site sooner, but at least now I can begin my dreading Journey the proper way and I learned a valuable lesson. If you want to do dreads and keep your hair and scalp healthy don't put anything in them. Respect your hair and it'll respect you. Abuse it and smother it and it'l make you very angry.
updated by @delete: 01/13/15 09:18:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ah lessons learned

well glad that your on the right track now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
You're just lucky I found r/dreadlocks only a few days beforehand!I'm really glad to hear that things are looking better. I hope you told your friend about this site too so he doesn't mess up anyone elses dread experience!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea exactly and

what exactly is in that organic root stimulater lock and twist gel anyway

post the ingres=dienrs

i bet its not exactly organic at all

--
Wheelz
@delete
12 years ago
28 posts

water,coconutmilk, soybean oil, PVP,polyquaternium-37,Propyl Paraben, Methyl Pareben,dmdm hydantoin, propylene glycol, fragrance, Sucrose. -_-

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

okay so first two ingredients like first three ingredients are in the water coconut milk and soybean oil which are conditioning coconut milk and soybean oil are the rest are all chemical crap which I would never put my hair and I'm sure all residues all others I don't know what they are paraben is a wax actually to our waxes, Heather would know better what the rest are. But I would never put that stuff in my hair

--
Wheelz
@delete
12 years ago
28 posts

Yea, the same crap and worse are in the shampoo, so I'm not even bothering. I have some Doctor Bronner's(SP?) ordered and on the way, but I've been doing the BS & ACV rinse and loving it. Time to keep it all natural all the way. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yeah, that's for sure. The way to go!

--
Tarra Scott
@tarra-scott
11 years ago
4 posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is not really a product for backcombing styles. It says locks, but refers to the way black people start locks - i.e. comb coils or one- or two-strand twists. The picture of black women on the cover should have been a clue that it is not for your hair type.I have been using this product on my locks for over a year (my first attempt was in October 2011, but I continued to use the product on my 3C/4A curls after I took them out after a month) with no problems. It is what I used to create my comb coils to start my locks and to maintain them when I palmroll (although it's more like a fingerroll since my locks are smallish).One thing, is you can't use them on back combing. It is not meant for that kind of style. Like any gel, it will get stuck and gloop up if you put too much or on hair which it sounds like you did. My hairdresser (yes, I went to a hairdresser because I am too impatient when it comes to parting my hair evenly) watered it down a little for the initial twists, but I use the pure product, one small pinch for each lock (my hair is about 36 cm long in general and 3C/4A http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types ) when I retwist.Don't knock a product that didn't work for you if you don't use it the way it's supposed to be used. This product is always highly recommended by hair stylists because it does work. Just not for all situations.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the hairstylists jknow nothing if they told u to use this and to twist all the time every single thing they told u was wrong as usual

if alot buuilds up a ;il builds up only slower

u should not be using this in any hair type and u should not be doing what the stylist said to do

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form