Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing with Dish Soap? Like Dawn?

Shawnee
@shawnee
12 years ago
19 posts

I saw a picture of a girl who said she washed with "dishwasher soap"... it seems like a bad idea to me... What do you think? Also, I wash with baking soda, acv and essential oils mixed, and I'm having knots already but my hair gets greasy soooo fast, I have thin straight white girl hair, but I'm a pretty oily person, I wash every three days but sometimes by day two, I feel ready to wash. I've had dreads before, but they were forced in with twist and rip. They were beautiful, and I didn't damage my hair at all, I'm a great twist and ripper, but I'm trying to do it all natural this time. I was gonna start like September 2011, but I decided to cut my hair short instead. Now it's growing out and I'm letting it go. It's shorter in the back and longer in the front, and I feel like it will be a while before I see progress in the back... I forced in a little baby right next to my ear, as it was already sectioned and knotting slightly, just to have a little reminder where I could reach it easily and play with it to kind of keep my motivation up. I have trouble sticking to the natural method, I get impatient and ending up brushing my hair. Plus my mom thinks I'm insane. I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant now, and I kind of want my dreads to grow up with my daughter. Any advice/encouragement/thoughts in general? I'm mostly interested in others with similar hair types to kind of tell me their stories. My hair is prolly like 6-8 inches in the front and shorter in the back, I had like a bob that grew out... it's thin and gets oily fast.

updated by @shawnee: 02/14/15 07:51:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dish soaps..not ideal

but not a bad idea its useable if theres no other options at all

bs and acv will do u good but if your pretty oily reduce the acvg

even skip it every othrr wash till your not so oily on day 3

but probly just using less will be enough

ph ballance affects oiliness and dryness

hairs typicaly a 5-5.0

kinda a wide rancege since its 1-10 and u got the extreme acids that melt steel and the extreme alkalines on the far ends

as u get closer to the more acidy side u get oily

towards the more nutral dry 7 in nutral

by is alkaline other side oi]of 7

using no acv at all will tip you too far but a nudge over on ocasions not gonna hurt u bad just swing it back and keep it closer to the 5.5 side and you should see less oiliness over time

congrats momma i missed ya

(and your fat lil buddha belly!)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

My ex has glorious dreads. He is a mechanic so he gets lots of nasty stuff in his hair. He has always used dawn dish soap to wash the stuff out. It works well for him.

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

I've beenusing dish soap for my hair since november and I'm happy with it. I've had no itching, no dandruff, no residueand no grease. It's easy torinse outand every time I use it I feel things happening withmy young dreads. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

Sian Thompson
@sian-thompson
12 years ago
9 posts

I'm not sure about the dish soap idea but I understand where you are coming from when you talk about having greasy hair as I have extremely greasy hair. I find that after I wash it, the next day it is greasy again. At the moment it's a no win situation but I have heard that eventually your hair does get used to the situation it is in and will hopefully adapt. I use a shampoo that says it rinses clean, I used to use the baking soda mix but founnd that it actually did nothing at all to my hair :( I hope this helps :)

Shawnee
@shawnee
12 years ago
19 posts

Thanks, all of these answers have helped a lot! I added a bit more bs to my mix today, and a little tiny bit of sea salt but I feel like it's greasy today, maybe I didn't rinse well enough? No one I know around here has natty dreads... I have two friends that went all natural but they say they don't wash their hair but once a month, they aren't much help to me lol. I'll consider trying dish soap, but I feel like it's got chemicals in it... I'll look at the bottle. That might dry me out too much. Idk. I'll tweek my bs/acv wash again. I feel confident this time.

@Eagle: Thanks so much, I have to post a picture soon of my Buddha belly ;-) I am having a little girl, her name will be Maya Lynn, she is due April 12th. She's helped me make big positive changes, and I need this dread journey to loosen up and chill out. I've had a lot of anxiety this pregnancy and a lot of self image ups and downs. My husband tells me I'm more beautiful than ever, but sometimes I just feel fat... hahahaha... the hormonal joys of being pregnant. I've enjoyed every minute of it though, even the lows, but I'll be relieved when it's over and my baby girl is here and safe. We are doing a homebirth and it has inspired me to become a midwife myself.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

dish soap will definitely rid you of all the greasies but it might also make your scalp itch like mad like it did to me. its really harsh. it might also send your scalp into oil overdrive. i would suggest a good organic shampoo and maybe add a bit of bs to the mix for extra cleaning. also, acv makes my hair oily so maybe your using too much.

Shawnee
@shawnee
12 years ago
19 posts

Thanks Heather, I'm going to alter it a bit and see how it goes. I wrote this last time I washed. I usually go three days, but I might wash tomorrow. Every two days would make it 3x a week, and I've been washing every 3 days, making it 2x a week, so maybe washing more often would help until I see some dreads appear. I am not trying to be in a hurry, I just would hate to waste weeks not making any steady progress because of what I'm washing with. I figure people (like chemists) who make shampoo probably have to experiment with ph just like I have to with the bs/acv wash. Baking soda worked great for my tnr dreads, but after a while I started to get a build up on my scalp. Maybe I'll try just a bs rinse alternated with a bs/acv rinse.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

You can try the Dreadlockshampoo.com shampoo I think you like that a lot better the liquid at least Will help you start dreading faster the bars are amazing when there mature. I think the bars are amazing and help me lockup all my loose hairs. I see some people with young dreads said the bars are helping lockup as well.space I sicken her to be one of each, and just try whichever you like. Use the liquid until They are mature Then use The bar

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Whitney Kramers
@whitney-kramers
11 years ago
3 posts

ive been washing mine with dawn ultra really diluted. and in the first two weeks i could feel my babies getting tighter. i did have wax in my hair but after useing dish soap i find i like it alot better! and my dreads smell n look n feel super clean!!!!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form