Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

are you prepared?

YUKON
@yukon
12 years ago
119 posts

there will be more to this...i wanted to post this as a beginning...to see hwere ppl stand:

I thought I'd add a little bit about simplifying our lives. Again just some things to think about.

I'm def. not trying to preach at all, but considering these types of things is what helps me realize what more I have to do before I can be fully self-sufficient.

1. Dispose of, give away, or sell off everything that is not useful, or anything of mere sentimental (I call this semi-mental) value such as knickknacks, souvenirs, and that dearly beloved whatchamacallit. Toss out all those things you might be able to use someday such as wood and metal scraps, junk, old spare parts, defunct equipment, that machine whose sole purpose for the past five years has been to keep the garage floor well greased, unfinished projects, and any unnecessary books, clothes, pots, pans, dishes, and furniture.

2. Do not buy anything you cannot afford. Do not take out any loans. Cut up all of your credit cards. Close out your checking accounts and use cash or money orders for all transactions.

3. Do not keep any animals. They only tie you down and cost you money. However, if animals are a must with you, have useful animals (just a general rule...I gotta have a dog tho)

4. Do not own a vehicle which has been deliberately designed to be impossible for you to maintain or repair. Do not own any piece of machinery which is smarter than you are.

5. Get rid of toys that you do not use nor enjoy nearly as much as you think you should. Bid adieu to such things as the motor bike you rarely ride or the exercise machine you use as an obstacle course to the couch. Even if you are actually using one now, it will become obsolete because exercise is the natural result of mountains, valleys, snow, open spaces, trees, and children. Sell the motor home and luxury liner you use two weeks out of the yeartry a tent and a canoe or row boat and stay away from campgrounds.

6. Downsize your living quarters. You can waste your entire life away planning, building, cleaning, repairing, and adding on to a house. This not only makes you subject to government controls and hassles but also restricts your mobility. Put that time and effort into the enjoyment of your children, your spouse, the countryside, hunting and fishing, horseback riding, or whatever thrills you.

7. No one can deny that children complicate life but most people find them irresistible so I will not try to talk you out of having them. If, however, you are young, do not be overly eager to become a parent. If or when you have children, listen to and observe them. They are full of vital information such as where grandma is most ticklish and they are simple wise. They can tell you: A picnic in the woods is far superior to a fancy restaurant dinner. Mud pies are more interesting than statistics pies. Time is more precious than money. Egg tosses are more fun if the eggs are putrefied. Life is a continual exploration. Trails are for followers and conformists. Your butt is for sliding. Bees like to pop balloons. And one big black beetle in the hand is worth 20 television documentaries about insects.

8. Do not work a full-time job. If you presently have a great paying job, after simplifying your life and reducing your expenditures to a minimums minimum, you might want to work for a year or two saving every penny you can possibly save and then quit. When you need money, make things to sell for cash or barter; find odd jobs or seasonal contract work. If you do contract work, keep it simple. If after three months you have enough money to last the rest of the year, do not take another job simply because it is available. It is time to go play.

9. Stop trying to function within the system. Do not try to run a business unless it is something very minor and involves no government intervention (a virtual impossibility these days). Homeschool your children. Do not join a union. Do not work for the government, accept any government monies, or participate in any government programs. Once you buy into their game, you have to play by their rules which are anything but simple. If you think you stand to gain something by entering into partnership with the government, just ask any trapper what it has profited the animal who has taken the bait. Acting against ones conscience is also a complicated, tangled web. The government acquires money through legalized extortion. But, unless you allow the government to determine your values, you probably still live by the old-fashioned adage that stealing is wrong. Therefore, do not let your greed convince you that it is okay to rob your neighbor simply because the government is holding the gun to his head.

10. Avoid clocks, radios, telephones and, most of all, television like the plague.

11. Never forget your own mortality. This will make every minute precious. You will feel the urgency of living each moment to its fullest, of enjoying your family rather than wasting time bickering, and of doing what you want to do now instead of some surrealistic time in the ethereal future. Your values will change and you will transform from a sedentary haver-observer to an active experiencer-doer.

12. Marry your best friend.

13. Stop trying to be someone elses notion of success.

If much of this sounds painful, you have not come to terms with the fact that you do not own things, they own you. The proof of this is in the pain. However, when you discover how much more free time you have, how much more relaxed you are, how much more fun you are having, how much happier you are, how much more likeable you are...the list goes on....

updated by @yukon: 01/13/15 09:18:12PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

1: My girlfriend saw an episode of hoarders, and we went through our house that day and threw out dozens and dozens of bags of trash. Still have some things we don't use much, but most of what we own is used on the daily

2: I'm cheap. I don't buy anything until I NEED it. only thing I spent money on that's frivilous are my tattoos

3: Animals are good for chi in your house. I understand that they tie you down to your home, but if you have to live there, it's good to have well flowing chi

4: Unfortunately my daily commute to school is 36 miles and on a major highway. I wake up at 6 am to leave at 6:30. if I rode my bike everyday I'd have to leave 2 hours earlier to find a smaller road more bike friendly. I am a morning person, but I spent 5 years waking up at 4 to go to work. It's my time to sleep in

5: Stay on campgrounds. They are there for a reason. If you trample on the normal forest floor you are destroying the ecosystem. many of those weeds you think you are walking on are really oaks, maples, or other trees trying to grow. Plus walking on tree roots damages them even if you can't see it right away. that's what makes trees fall over faster. If you ever walk on a trail and see logs lining the trail, naturalists and trail carers put them there for a reason to protect the rest of the forest. I did work maintaining trails in West Virginia

6: I live in my grandparents old house. It's a row home, but the rent's $400 a month. Staying here till I HAVE to move when I have kids. I do like some of those really tiny houses though.

7: I don't have kids yet, but I really want them. I want to be able to take them out to festivals, camping, just have fun playing with them. I want to build a tree house and let them have the simple pleasures of life. Agreed, they do teach you things

8: If I plan on having kids, I'll need a full time job. My girlfreind's a teacher. She makes almost no money. Enough for the 2 of us to get by more than comfortably, but with kids it won't be enough. She's a technology person. I'm not, but I do agree that the future is in technology. I want our kids to have acess to it all so they can be successful and happy

9: Totally against home schooling. But not really a fan of public schools. I don't like the idea of standardized tests. They make kids dumber and take away from the learning experience. I will try to get them into a Montessori school.

Unions are the best if you have a real full time job. Working for the government is better than not. You can be laid off, but that doesn't mean fired like any other job. You can get that job back as soon as there's work again. The benefits are better than any other job you'll find.

We all have to function within the government. If you want a police force, fire department, libraries, other organizations, you need to be part of it. It's not all good, but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

10: Don't own a tv. Have a computer (obviously), so I can watch whatever I want when I want to. I am not the slave to commercials or program slot times.

I make clocks out of wood, but don't put batteries in the workings. No need.

My phone's just for emergencies. It;s on all the time, but I use it as a watch for when I have to go to class. Only use a clock for an alarm in order to wake me up for school.

11: Always considering my own mortality. I'm 25 and know exactly what I want to be done to me when I pass. It doesn't stop me from living life, though.

12: marrying my best friend on June 23 2012

13: I only want to be successful in my own eyes

Ali Oop
@ali-oop
12 years ago
4 posts

love this. our family has been dreaming of an earth berm home and being completely self sufficient. some of the steps we have been taking are minimizing, slowly but surely, our belongings. we also have rid our home and lives of harmful chemicals --we now make our own hygiene products-from toothpaste to dish soap to laundry detergent to shampoo/conditioner, lotions-body wash, hand soap-you name it, we're making it. we also grow most all the fruits and veggies we consume,as well as making our own almond milk, etc. and we are vegetarians so producing our own meat isn't a necessity for us personally. the one thing that bugs me is my inability and inexperience as far as sewing. man, if i could rip and stitch, we'd be set. great post. <3

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

I agree with most of it. But you'll have to pry my beautiful flat screen television out of my cold dead hands! lol

I don't mind the tv but really, I'm so with you on most of that. I live a very simple life, spending money only on the stuff that matters most... which mostly equals out to good food, good ganja and a simple yet pleasant roof over my head.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form