Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

back of my head is completly not dreaded..

bryce robbins
@bryce-robbins
12 years ago
2 posts

so i twist and ripped my head on dec 1st 2011. i had someone help me on the back portion of my head. i have been washing them in dr bronners every 2/3 days and seperating them. but the back of my head is a bunch of undreaded hair i realized yesterday.. so i twist and ripped it before i went to sleep and woke up and it was just normal hair. any help on making the back lock up faster. my other ones are going great. just the back is having problems.

updated by @bryce-robbins: 02/04/18 04:03:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

typicaly the back dreads best cause u sleep on it do you oftebn tuck your hand under your head so maybe fu=inger combing accidently?

best thing to do is to not tnr again! let it be its only a month almost 2 they get looser the 1st 3 months then dread its normal by tnr ing again you set it back to squawre 1

it will dread naturaly if u let it..meaning dont ,mess with it at all

but

u can also add beads that will help it along..or peyote stitches which are more confy to lay on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

yeah, that's weird, usually the back dreads up super fast. just leave it alone and let nature take over =)

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
I hate dr. Bronners. It leaves residue unless you have a perfect water situation.
PeacewithDreads
@peacewithdreads
12 years ago
14 posts

I concur with Bryce and Faye with their experience and I sleep all over my head. It is freaky because my hair will look good and encouraging but then throughout the course of the day the knots that were in earlier in the day slip out and smoothe by the end of the day. I do a little twisting and ripping, and it is doing good, but then by morning, it will have smoothed out again.

Of course to qualify I am still waiting onthe dread shampoo that I ordered from www.dreadlockshampoo.com last week, but I am trying to go longer between washes, I did the salt spray a couple nights ago and by the end of the night my hair had the george kastanza "shrinkage". It looked likecooked then dehydratedspaghetti. (except a little thicker...maybe i should sayfetticine)..My hair shriveled which i thought was a good sign. I rinsed out the sea salt, (careful not to mess with my hair) and by the next morning smooth silky hair (except for the one lonely dread that i had twisted and ripped and placed a small metal ring around (its actually for jewelry making but about an 1/8" in diameter).I did not despair, I went to school, lightly put a scarf round my head and by last evening when I got home I was psyched because it looked good again.Even my husband said "you look good your hair is taking". (which is a major concession considering his views---he's making progress; my hair is not.)

This morning I looked pretty scuzzy and knew I desparately needed a wash, (had been three days)I was tempted to leave it but I remember reading what S.E. wrote about dreads not forming on unclean hair, so so I washed it and patted it clean (careful not to lather) and when I got out of the shower I was psyched by how knotty my hair was. I didn't touch it, I threw on my clothes and headed off to school knotty hair and loving it. Got to school, hair had dried during my45minute transit to school, and the "smoothe fairy" had had her way with my hair on the way to school..I hadsmoothe, silky, albeit wavy, hair.

It seems as if the hair is separating. There are sections, (though no knots) except for the smooth back.I have not used a brush for nearly a month, I havent even styled my hair, other than to lightly clip it during those moments of vanity...which are getting fewer and far between.

So, the question is: does the hair go into that phase where it is separated (looking kind of stringy/greasy) and smoothe just before it starts knotting? I view the pictures that people post and many of those who have "2 week" and "10 day" dreads look amazing. I am definitely neglecting my hair, am I being too impatient?

Thanks for posting Bryce and Faye. Peace.

bryce robbins
@bryce-robbins
12 years ago
2 posts

elke.in.alaska said:

I hate dr. Bronners. It leaves residue unless you have a perfect water situation.
luckly memphis has perfect water! soft water doesnt leave residue. i believe you can prep your water to make it so dr bronners doesnt leave residue though.
and faye i sleep on my side as well!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

peace yours are how old might just take lil longer is all

have u trierd the bs wash?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ali Oop
@ali-oop
12 years ago
4 posts

i agree, your hair WILL dread one way or another, however I understand how discouraging it can be to see all those dread heads that go the natural method and have dread-like hair within days to weeks. I am going on three months with mine (natural method) and the same thing seems to keep happening in the back. i've got a great start in the middle (back) of my head, which i constantly (daily) have to separate because it's trying to make one giant fat dread instead of lotsa smaller ones....but the hair underneath that is taking quite a bit more time. (i'm talking hair on the nape/by the nape and around the perimeter all the way to my ears) however, it has been sectioned/sectioning for weeks now, and those are not falling apart, it's just not knotting up very quickly. i have very thick hair with lots of wave (was ringlet curls when i was younger but now just super wavy) and i thought it would dread faster but i've learned to love the process. don't give up, you might just wake up one day soon like i just did and notice some little loops and tangles in that back hair. just be careful with them and let them do their thing-think of it as milestones. some infants and children hit milestones at different times. it doesn't make the child who cannot walk at 12 months less progressive or talented or intelligent as the child who is walking on his/her own at 12 months...it's just different for everyone. <3 good luck.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form