Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi there!

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

I'm Erin (obviously). Just found this site a few days ago, looking for ideas about shampoo. I was totally caught up in reading about the general consensus about wax being harmful, and I'm grateful for the info that was provided. I'm definitely NOT using it anymore, and currently trying to remove all the stuff that is probably stuck in my dreads still with a combo of DHHQ shampoo, super hot waterand dish soap. I think I've been making some progress because I can feel the wax coming out of the tips each time I wash.

I've had my dreads for about 6 months now, but I had them previously for several years and ended up shaving them off in a ritual of sorts. I have missed them constantly since then and decided to give it another go. Mine were formed with a weird combo of interlocking/back combing. I also did some very open woven embroidery wraps that I've since removed. My first set of dreads were formed with yarn wraps and they were super tight, but I also didn't like the smell the wraps gave them so I decided not to do that this time around. I'm stuck between wishing I had gone the more natural route but also glad that mine formed pretty quickly due to the "corporate dread" method because of work.I'm trying not to be a control freak about it though. I'm grateful for any bit of progress I've made.

So, about me...I'm 32 and I'm married. We have a total of 5 kids between the 2 of us. 2 are ones I gave birth to. I'm what you'd call a "natural mom", or "attachment parent". My kids eat up most of my time until they are old enough for school. Considering home schooling but I'm not sure I have the ability to do that. I work nights as a dancer in a club and I've been at it for about 7 years, hence the reason I want dreads that are a little neater and more groomed looking. Customers are always commenting on my hair and saying they like it orasking, "why would you do that? you're so pretty without dreads! blah blah blah". Much like my tattoos, I didn't decide on having dreadlocks toplease other people. I do it becauseI feel it is the mostaestheticallyinteresting hairstyle I could have and also because dreads areart to me. Each lock isunique and beautiful.I'm not by any means a Rasta but art is my spirituality and I take my art seriously.Each person with dreads has a distinctly personal story behind their hair journey and that is so cool to me. It takes hard work and dedication, patience and love.Many ignorant people claim that dreadlocks make a person look lazy or dirty. I think the opposite.

Well, sorry this has turned into a novel. Hope everyoneis having a great weekend. :)

updated by @erin2: 02/14/15 04:46:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just a note on interlocking its very bad creates weak spots so i would definately never interlock again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, to be honest, many of us are lazy with our hair. Thats the beauty of locks. You can be lazy.

But I do agree that they are an art. I like how you put it like that. We do have all different personalities that g along with our process.

I'd urge you to stop using the DHHQ shampoo. I used it a few times when I first started. It only made them feel oily and slick. It might work differently for you, but I doubt it.

As fr home schooling, why? I don't look down on the idea, but all of the people I know who were home schooled tend have a little more trouble in the socializing aspect. I get that public schools areatrocious. My girlfriend's a teacher. But there are other options. Montesoury schools are probably the best for letting kids explore themselves and their own learning styles. Look into them. I'm not sure how wide spread they are, but if you can find one, they are the best learning atmospheres you can get

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts
Soaring Eagle - thank you. I know now from researching that interlocking isn't good (after I started my dreads - ugh) and I'm not looping them at the roots to tighten them anymore. A friend of mine taught me to do that years ago and I'm no longer ignorant about it so I stopped.Baba Fats - I haven't had problems with DHHQ shampoo yet except the price and the fact I have to order it off the net. I'm probably just gonna switch to a combo of Dr. Bronner's and sea salt. I realize I can't NOT wash my hair because it itches and looks weird and greasy if I don't.As for how I school my kids - I appreciate the advice as I'm sure its well-meaning but I can't afford private school. I am looking into the public school here which is probably the best in the region but I also don't want them put in a rewards/punishment system that is damaging to their sense of self-motivation and self-discipline. I always make informed choices about anything I do so I am looking into all options. Not all homeschooled kids are lacking socialization as they often join extracurriculars and home study groups. I'm just not sure that lifestyle is for us since I have to continue my own education at some point before my body gives out from dancing. Lol
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

true. I know that not all home schooled kids lack, but I just worry about there not being in around other kids all day. Extracurricular sare good, but they are only for a few hours a week usualy. Sorry. I don't mean to try to dissuade. Just airing my opinion Well, most suburb schools are usually very good. I mean, there's one around me that just dropped 100 million on their new building. It's really city schools that are lacking the most.

And you should never not wash your hair. Washing not only makes you just feel cleaner, but it is good for locks. Especially young ones

sambo
@sambo
12 years ago
37 posts
hi erin, and welcome!Just seen the convo about home schooling and thought i'd throw my two cents in.i done home schooling from grade 3 through to grade 5 and can honestly say it was the best experience of my schooling life. Before I left normal school I was in the "special" class because I couldn't read or write. Not that I couldn't I suppose, just that I had no interest in it so I would draw instead. And once rejoining normal schooling I slowly worked my way back to the "special" class for kids who had no interest in university. When we left normal school it was so our family could go on a cattle drive. So I would ride my horse and work cattle every day and do school work at lunch time. Ane sometimes if we got a couple of days off we would do two weeks worth of schooling in one go and then spend the next two weeks doing what ever we wanted :) in that three years I learned how to read and write at a level higher than my age group and I was a confident, thoughtful, outgoing, and creative kid. we would also stop in at towns we passed and spend a couple of weeks going to school with other kids which was great aswell. But it wasn't until we enrolled permanently to a school that I learned how to really hate myself :p from grade 6 and right through high school was a battle to maintain my sanity (not because I was treated particularly bad, just that I knew how much simpler and rewarding schooling could be) and i've spent the seven years since leaving school trying to undo all the damage... So I'm not saying that all public schooling has this effect, I just thought I would give you my experience. And I know that i'll be doing all I can to be able to homeschool my kids when I'm finally blessed with them. (by the way I did leave school at 17 and later returned and completed year 11 and 12 and went on to university and now work at a rewarding job helping people with their health :p)Peace:)
sambo
@sambo
12 years ago
37 posts
wow that was HUUUUGE, sorry guys I got a bit carried away :p
Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

Sambo - don't apologize for sharing your experiences. I really appreciated reading your perspective on things and would definitely consider that a strong case for home schooling. Many people I have talked to have had similar experiences, although very few were negative. I am going to follow the lead of my children and let them teach ME (as they have been doing since they were born) how to raise them. I think a good parent is a good listener. My daughter is very eager to start kindergarten next year and I am going to honor that until I sense that things need to change. There are so many elements at play here, especially with my need for a better education so I can work a more rewarding job that would ultimately make me a better parent. I am looking to become an IBCLC (internationally board certified lactation consultant) as this is something I feel very passionate about and it also leaves me with a more relaxed schedule. I want to start a greenhouse. I am also an artist. I love to paint, but I don't ever sell my artwork. They tend to be rituals or gifts for people I love.

Well, there's a bit more unsolicited information about me. lol I'm off to read more about other people's dreads. Thanks to everyone for responding.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I hear you. None of my art has ever been for sale. I either display it at my house, or it stays in a book (if I drew it). I mostly work with wood, but haven't had the time to find a community workshop around here. What medium do you work with?

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

I like to paint in acrylic and collage. It's mostly abstract. I went to college for art with a concentration in printmaking, but I lack the ability to make prints lately. What do you make with wood? Sculpture?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form