Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

baby dreads

Diva Locks
@diva-locks
12 years ago
13 posts

how young is too young you think to dread a childs hair? its very tempting for me because one of my twins hair WANTS to dread. I feel bad brushing the knots out because He hates it and I know that its sort of unnecessary.

updated by @diva-locks: 02/14/15 08:28:55AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

depends what you mean by dread a childs hair if you mean let a childs hair dread..as in n aturaly you can do it from birth

if you mean by backcombing or tnr id say 6 or 7 when old enough to explain it will hurt

hippie momma dreaded gages at 2 by backcombing very k]loightly but barely backcombed so was mostly natural

if it tangles so easy thenlet it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Diva Locks
@diva-locks
12 years ago
13 posts

Thank you very much . Boba will be 2 in March.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Young is relative. I would never let my childs hair lock if they did not want it. Meaning that I would never tnr/back comb/stop combing, unless THEY wantedto. Second, Do they still like to get dirty and have no self control? That's still too young.

If they are mature enough to understand that letting their hair lock is not going to be easy for them (kids making fun of them, teachers thinking they are dirty, stares from strangers), then go for it. If you are worried about how they will respond to societies view, I'd wait.

Growing locks may be the easiest and most healthy way to take care of your hair, but it does take a lot of maturity that most children do not have before 10 or so

Diva Locks
@diva-locks
12 years ago
13 posts

thankyou baba. These are all things that I think of. I would twist them but never backcomb them, I just recently brushed Boba's hair out after letting it go for almost two weeks. hisbangsand sides were the only parts not dreading. We did get some funny looks at the store lol. It wasn't hard after i left the conditioner in a while togentlybrush them out. Afterwards he felt for the dreads in his hair. :( some times when i twist mine he works on his lol . I guess he will be old enough to ask for them fairly soon.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sounds like he wants them now

i think its not too ypung to let em dread at birth as long as you dont force em to keep em when they are old enoiugh to decide for themselves after all untill that age they cant decide themselves so its up to you to decide with their best interests in mi9nd ..but u should explain things as well as u can wether they fully uunderstand or not and ask what they want and let them know they can decise to go back at any time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I would just worry about how dirty little kids can get. I wouldn't want to have to wash them every day because they get so filthy playing outside. At our ages, we can play outside, but don't get nearly as dirty. We don't need a bath everyday. We don't get mud and dirt in places we didn't know we had anymore.

I would carefully explain the process. He might like them now, but in a few month, might get tired of them. It's the nature of kids to change their minds when they get a new idea. Hopefully he will be able to stick with them, but don't besurprised if he changes he mind. He might not like the itchy phases that we all go through. He might not be able to control playing with them and end up slowing down the process.

I don't want to try todissuade you. I just want to get my opinion out there, and help you make an informed decision. I personally wouldn't let my kids hair lock up until they, themselves, stopped combing and brushing.

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

This is a good question, and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. From what you say about your son, I think he would be ready to dread and enjoy the process.

My daughter is almost 5 and wants dreads like her mama.I put a temporarypink dye in her hair at 3 (her idea) and she is very experimental with her clothing, accessories and is just an overall kooky, creative kid.When she asked me about doing her dreads, I explained that kids might make fun of her, that she can't just take them out once they are there and she seemed to not care. I've also come against negative opinions from family members. Kids do change their minds a lot, but I think trusting them to make a big decision like that and giving them responsiblity to care for their locs can do wonders for their sense of accomplishment and identity.

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

my 8 yr old son is dead set on dreads. he hasnt let me touch his hair (cutting i mean) in months. its now at least 6 inches all over. im a little skeptical because i just put him back into public school for this semester and am scared to death he would bring home lice! ive got him talked into waiting to start them until summer time when his hair gets longer, but im not sure i can hold him off that long! he talks about them like he already has them, and its just the most natural thing in the world for him to have them. hes such an awesome kid :) i guess the cleanliness and the lice issue are my main concerns. we all know how much lice love kids hair and how dirty little boys can get...

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts
I guess lice would be a concern for any parent. How hard are they to remove from dreads vs non-dreaded hair?
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form