Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

smelly sca

Knottural LP
@knottural-lp
12 years ago
9 posts
so this is terribly embarrassing and frustrating. i have the worst smelly scalp my wife says it smells like parmesean cheese. i wash every week or every other week depending on how busy i am. i have done a deep bakingsoda clean and acv rince as suggested but nothing seems to get rid of the sour smell. i canter wash my dreas/scalp everyday because i am only 10 months in on this set. what do i do? i have used oils everything.
updated by @knottural-lp: 02/14/15 10:17:04AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wash 2-3 times a week

if that dont do it try these www.dreadlockshampoo.com they will leave u smellin great

butttt

im betting youir hair and scalp just smells like clean hair and hes not used to clean scalp scent only perfummy shampoo scent

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

What you are smelling is sebum. Sebaceous glands are spread out over your body..but there is a large amount on your head. Sebum is a mixture of keratin, dead skin cells and fats. Ear wax is mostly sebum. The gross white goop found in piercings is sebum. The creamy substance covering new born babies is sebum. It has some antibacterial and anti fungal properties. It is a natural moisturizer to keep your skin from drying out. It protects a fetus from amniotic fluids. It is just your body's way of protecting itself.

So with that explained......just keep your scalp clean. It is a creamy waxy substance, so it needs to be scrubbed off. It won't magically rinse off. It has to be manually scrubbed. It does not have to be a rough scrub, a gentle scrub will work. In order to keep the smell and the sebum under control you should wash at LEAST once a week. I recommend 2 to 3 times a week.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Everything up to the sebum was mentioned. All I can add is NEVER wash locks every day. at 10 months I'd normally say once a week is perfect, but with that issue, yeah 2-3 times a week will help tremendously. and yes, it needs to be scrubbed off. I had it all the time with piercings. Had to clean them a lot because of it. try a shampoo, because you don't scrub your scalp with BS and ACV. get something you scrub your scalp with. At ten months you could even start using a shampoo bar

Knottural LP
@knottural-lp
12 years ago
9 posts
what kind of shampoo. should u use? thank you fir the great info!

Baba Fats said:

Everything up to the sebum was mentioned. All I can add is NEVER wash locks every day. at 10 months I'd normally say once a week is perfect, but with that issue, yeah 2-3 times a week will help tremendously. and yes, it needs to be scrubbed off. I had it all the time with piercings. Had to clean them a lot because of it. try a shampoo, because you don't scrub your scalp with BS and ACV. get something you scrub your scalp with. At ten months you could even start using a shampoo bar

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

try these they smell devine www.dreadlockshampoo.com

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
I agree it sounds like you definitely need to wash more often. But the other thing you might want to investigate is that people that eat a lot of dairy can have a dairy like scent to their skin/oils (sebum). I remember reading ages ago about non dairy cultures being able to smell dairy on westerners. I notice it if I drink a lot of milk/eat lots of cheese. It's not enough anyone else would notice, but I can tell. :P
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

that's reallybizarre

Knottural LP
@knottural-lp
12 years ago
9 posts
i do love cheese haha great thanks for the info everyone really helpful ill let you know hoe things turn out. i definetly need to get some shampoo so. im not just using bs . before that i used broners and it left too much residue and didnt make me feel clean and it would leave a moldy mint smell. hopefully this works!
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

really? I've been using Dr. B's for years. One thing about it, I've learned is that it does nee do be rinsed out a little more than some other shampoos. That could be the residue feel you get. But if rinsed out completely, it shouldn't leave any residue. Sometimes I do need to rinse, squeeze my hair, and rinse again. Sometimes 2-3 times

I just picked up a bar from dreadlockshampoo.com. Haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait. They do ship it out really fast. It took 2 days to get to me. Granted I live a few miles away. But they are really friendly and helpful.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form