dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help my dreads out

Stygx
@stygx
12 years ago
5 posts

Ok, lets begin at the beginning.

About a month ago, I dreaded my hair with the TnR method.. It looked fucking awesome. We then went on holiday and after 3 days my locks started to curl and the hair came loose, mostly at the roots and the tips

I didnt really have an internet connection to ask for advice so I figured I should just TnR all the tips again. It took long but afterwards it looked like dreads again. So for the rest of my holiday, every 3rd or 4th day I would spend an hour or 2 retwisting my dreads so they would look awesome again.

We got back from holiday after new years and the last time I TnR'ed my hair was a week ago, since I read on this forum that when I TnR the dread process starts over. I also read that I have to TnR only the locks that came loose so I did that..

So now, my hair looks like shit, I thought to myself I can handle having shitty hair for a short while but then I want them to start looking good soon. I like it when its a straight, solid lock of hair, not a curly mess of loose hair tangled together.. if you know what I mean

So for how long is my hair gonna be a curly mess before the locks become straight and tight?

Here are some pics I took so you know what Im talking about

This one is just to show you how shitty it looks

This is just to show you what a single lock looks like

And this is a single, curly, shitty lock.. next to a lock I just redid with TnR (which looks awesome)

updated by @stygx: 01/13/15 09:17:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

stop tnring stop working on them

and most of all stop calling them shitty

adjust your perception

thery look good but your feeding them negativity they will siffer cause of your attitude\

be p[ossitive feed em positivity and locve

let them get loose

let them get curly

let them get messy

let them dread

just stop messing with them

they will never dread if u dont stop deoing what your doing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Allen Jones
@allen-jones
12 years ago
5 posts

There's no way to make great-looking insta-dreads. No matter what you do you're just going to have to endure "shitty" looking hair for a while. Retwisting all the time will damage your hair eventually so it's best to just let em' find their way naturally.

I backcombed to start mine and they looked kind of dread-like for about a month. Then they started falling apart in places. Some sections fell completely apart. So however you take your journey to dreads your going to have to go through a lot of bad hair days.

It looks like your hair will dread naturally pretty quick if you keep it clean and, personally, I think your hair looks just fine. It's gonna take a lot of time and patience.

Stygx
@stygx
12 years ago
5 posts

okey ur right

I should stop worrying :P

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you keep trying to TnR them, they will just keep coming out making you feel like they're not going anywhere but backwards. If you let them be after the first tnr, they will untangle a bit, but then ONLY move forward. constantly maintaining them is like taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back. You'll get their eventually, but it will take twice as long. letting them happen on their own will always be taking 1 step forward. Sometimes the steps will be smaller than the others, but it's always progressing.

Eagle's right, change your perception. Mine looked like a tangled mess for a year because I kept worrying about when they'd look like locks. I didn't mess with them too much cause I knew it'd have to happen sooner or later, but the worrying definitely didn't help.

Keep up the patience. That's what it's all about. There's so much more you could be doing with those hours of your day than trying to control your hair

Stygx
@stygx
12 years ago
5 posts

I havent got a year :O its 2012!!!!

lol i dont believe in that crap, but still, a year is a very long time to wait :/

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Mine took about a year. Most people on this site seem to take a few weeks to start looking like they are on their way, and within 2-3 months they are looking pretty good. I was just saying a year, because some people, like myself, have taken that long. It's not the norm

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

mine still looks like crap at 15 months. lol! your hair has its own timeline of how it will dread. you don't have dreads yet but if you leave them alone then maybe in a year you will. that's why they call it a journey:)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

heather yours look great and its about time u admit it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form