Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm gonna do it. I think.

Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

Hey! Hi my name's Guillaume, I've been growing my hair out since I'm 8 years old. I've always liked it that way :P Now I'm 16 and I'm still enjoying my long curly hair but lately I've found it to be quite high maintenance compared to a few years back though I still don't comb that untamed pile of hair. I basically have to wash everyday otherwise it's too oily and it feels sticky. I've joked about making dreads for a while but I'm really starting to think I should do it. It looks great and after the adaptation period it's not a whole of maintenance.

I've included a picture of myself (Well, the first one I could find. There's some of my friend on it, I'm that smiling guy that's getting molested in the middle.) My hair's about shoulder length, you can't really tell, picture is bad quality. But I've ironed it once and it reaches just under my nipples, so it's pretty long. I dunno if I should let lit grow a bit more before starting those dreads, I'd like them to be about the same length as on the picture, I know length loss is an issue but I'll look into it.

updated by @guillaume: 02/14/15 06:16:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well 1st off what do u mean by making dreads what do u mean by maintanance and adjustment perion and finaly washing every day makes you more opily

when u strip oils daily the scalp panics and pumps out more oils if u wash every 3-4 days you get far less oily

throw away your comb and conditioner anfd let it dread

if your dead set on making not growing dreads please 1st tell us what u think your going to do and uise

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

What I meant is growing dreads sorry.

What I hope to achieve is to be able to wake up in the morning looking at my hair and say "That looks okay". I used to wash my hair everyday because it felt oily and stuff. Now I do it every 3 day, I can feel it's starting to adapt slowly.

I already don't comb my hair, I changed shampoo yesterday, I'll see how it affects the whole thing.

The only thing I'm scared about is that they're going to grow unevenly and that it ends up looking weird.

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
12 years ago
95 posts

Hi Guillaume!

I think you are scared about the wrong thing. Evenly growing dreads look "made" and kind of boring in my view. Unevenly growing natural dreads are showing your personality and are unique. The perfect individually fitting dreads for you and everyone else.

So just let it naturally happen, lots of patience und you will not be disappointed at all!

Jah bless your journey!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sorry to be the one to break the news, but if you're expecting to wake up every morning and say to yourself that your hair looks great, you will bedisappointed. You're hair will look goofy for a few weeks to a few months. What you have to do is embrace that you like how funny they look. You need to except that that is all part of the process. Mine looked god awful for close to a year.

There's a lot of patience involved. Most people's look funny for a few weeks, and then they start to see a real progress. It's a slow start for the first stretch, but after that they seem to come together really quick.

Glad to hear you don't use a comb. But do you brush it with your fingers? You need to sop doing that. Get a good residue free shampoo like the ones from dreadlockshampoo.com, Dr. Bronners, or baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

Keep washing every 2-3 days. Let it dry completely between washes. And don't mess with your hair. It'll happen on it's own. You look like you've got perfect hair for it to happen really quickly too. All you need to do is separate it once a week to make sure they don't mat into 1 big lock,especiallyin the back. Let them section off on their own.

Good luck. Let us know how it's progressing

Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

Thanks for the tips and all man. Appreciated.

I do know it'll look goofy for a while, but I'm used to it already. Imma get a last hair cut so it grows a little more.

Also, I was wondering. Can I blow dry it after it's been washed? Or just towel dry? If I can blow dry 'em, is there a special way to do it? Thanks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no dont cut it cutting dont make it grow more what makes u ythink that cutting trims split ends split ends are caused cby combing if your not combing u dont gottaz trim

if u tril thats going to set u back byy weeks maybe a month

just stop combing now

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont blow or towel dry shake it out drip dry if u must blow it do it gently quickly in shoert burtst let it air dry in between then just hit it with the blow dryer for a few sec if u gettoo chilly

--
Neil
@neil
12 years ago
21 posts

What I do is just grab half my hair and squeeze it in the towel, then the other side. Then I just let it air dry. Using ablow dryerif just fine as well.

Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

Well, I was always told that broken hair (Split ends) keep hair from growing, my hair has some damage to it, some split ends here and there, but it sure feels soft and healthy so I didn't mind. If you say it'll slow things down then I guess I can totally skip that haircut.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form