Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Intro, dread wanna-be :)

Julie Wa
@julie-wa
12 years ago
2 posts

Hey my name is Julie, I got the urge to dread and have been researching endlessly... I'm giving myself a few weeks to think about it so I don't jump in and regret it, but I'm almost positive I will be dreading in a few months... I chopped my hair off a few months ago, now I'm really regretting it. How much length do you lose with dreads? My hair is about shoulder length now. It is quite wavy, so I'm hoping the texture will help with dreading.

This is what it looked like a few years ago. When it grows out I won't have bangs and it is more wavy and healthy now.

Because of work I don't think I will be able to go with neglect, I will probably start with tnr. Tips, advice, help, etc. always welcome :)

updated by @julie-wa: 02/03/18 10:28:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u will lose bout 1/2 or so the length

u will look great

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tinarama
@tinarama
12 years ago
20 posts
Most of the length losing, from my experience with my last set, will happen between 2 months to a year... Mine didn't start actually gaining length again until a year into it... Be prepared to lose a lot of length but don't worry, it's hair, it'll grow again and looks cute short anyway!! Good luck :)

Faye Ktajjar said:

my hair was 7 inches long when i started (a whole ELEVEN days ago! lol :P) i used the backcombing method and honestly, i didnt even notice that i had lost any length, it was minimal at most. that might be because i have really thick hair but, iunno

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

People tend to lose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the length. But once they really start locking up, your hair will seem to grow super fast. I had a few locks that were less than 2 inches when they were made. 5 years later, one is over a foot long and the other is about a foot. They grow really fast when they are mature. You could twist and rip one or two on the underside of your hair for a few days and see how you like it. They are a commitment, though. You will have days, even weeks, where you think your hair looks awful. But a week later and you'll see how far along they've come. It's all about patience.

Julie Wa
@julie-wa
12 years ago
2 posts

Thanks guys! I am definitely doing it. Probably around the end of January you will see the start of my dreads! (I have one tnr-ed on the underside of my hair for a test run:) Thanks :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

that's a good way to see how your hair will progress. Good luck

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form