Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello, Im ben and im starting to do my dreeadlock Journey.

Ben Winans
@ben-winans
12 years ago
4 posts

Im 18 years old and ive always liked dreads but never wanted to go through with them. Im going to do the natural way since thats the best way to do dreads. Its only been a week since i stopped combing and that stuff. My hair isnt too long right now but i figured i should start the process now. My hair is about probably 5-6 inches long. If you have any info about dreadding id love to hear it so it can help me/

updated by @ben-winans: 01/13/15 09:16:28PM
Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
12 years ago
95 posts

Hello Ben!

It might be helpful to read the dreaducation section of this wonderful site first. And be

sure that all of your remaining questions will be answered properly by all those wonderful people on here!

Happy new year and you are very welcome!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

first off.. welcome. You're free to ask whatever you want. We're a friendly bunch.

If you plan of going the neglect method, all you have to know is about washing.

Wash 2-3 times a week for the first 6 months to year. Use either the Baking Soda and Apple Cider method or another liquid residue free shampoo. When they're more mature, you can switch to a bar if you want. All you have to do is wash your scalp. Don't even worry about your hair. As you rinse the soap will run through and clean it.

Make sure you scrub your scalp. Don't just pour it on and rinse off. Wash early in the day if you can, or on a day off. When you dry, it's best to let it air dry. If you use a towel, don't rub your hair. Just squeeze any excess water out and pat dry. Try not to go to sleep with wet hair.

After a few weeks, you can start separating the locks that begin to form. Just make sure hairs aren't stretched over to other sections trying to grab hold and pull them in. They will section themselves most of the time. All you have to do is wash and separate.

as for the length. It's great to start with, but a little short. As they lock up, your hair might shrink a little. Don't worry about it. It's better to start with short hair than not at all.

Good luck. It's great fun having locks. Don't let anyone tell you your doing it wrong. People tend to look at fresh locks and don't understand that it takes time and looks messy in the beginning.

Ben Winans
@ben-winans
12 years ago
4 posts

Thanks, and i have read a little on here already. i dont have the apple cider but the 2 times i have washed my hair i have just used baking soda and a water solution. im hopeing this will work and im already excited for them. its a long process to get dreads the natural way but its the best way. I know people are gonna judge and tell me its gross but i dont care, i know what im doing (atleast sorta right now) and it doesnt matter what they think haha

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's not so much important for you to know what you're doing. It's important for you to let you hair do what it's doing.

White winde vinegar can work too if you've got that. Just use a slightly larger amount

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

5-6 inches is long enough tho an inch or 2 more would speed things up a bit

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ben Winans
@ben-winans
12 years ago
4 posts

yeah i figured that, i just dont wanna wait so while i let it grow im gonna not comb and just let it try and do its own thing.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Hi, Ben, and welcome. Looks like you already got the basic things you need to know. Anytime, any other questions, just ask.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form