Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey Hey Hey!

Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
15 years ago
30 posts
I'm Jaimee. I haven't dreaded my hair yet, but I've been growing out my hair for my dreads for about a year now. I used to keep my hair pretty freakin' short because I don't like to do much with my hair, and with short hair it's always done and cute, and I've always said that if I was going to dread my hair I would have them for the rest of my life, and I'm ready. I want to start working on them asap, but I'd like to get a little more length going before I do. I find that shorter dreads can end up being too short after the backcombing. Any thoughts?
updated by @jammin-jay: 01/13/15 08:28:08PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
Hey Welcome!actually your hair is probly a little longer than mine was be4 I started dreading, however seems most women wait till their hair can be tied back behind their head, mines a little to short for the front ones to stay back. but least your in it for the long haul so your gonna have great dreads either way. :)
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Hi Jaimee!My dreads are pretty short still. When I go to pull them back I have two kind of bug antenna bangs lol.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
hey there sweet mama! I'm so glad you joined the Forums before your dreads have started.. since you are growing your hair out for dreads anyway.. start TODAY! make a vow to yourself and your locks that you just wont cut your hair or brush it at all ever again. your hair will start to knot up faster than you think all by itself. DO NOT BACKCOMB!! Let nature take it's course.. don't try to maintain or make them all perfect, because you will find out soon enough that it will end up being wayyyy more maintenence than you are already doing with your straight hair! the only way to rid yourself of maintenance is to stop maintaining it! mother earth will lock your hair up for you if you just have faith and love in her to do so! :)welcome home!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
dont bavkcomb let it dread as it growsnatural dreads last longer anywayyou can start today by throwing away your combas it starts to seperate into sections just weekly or so (after u wash is best) seperate the sectiuons from eachotherif u hated havin to do your hair your gonna love dreading..but yad hate backcombing...

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
15 years ago
30 posts
Thanks, mama! I'm not sure that I'll start locking them up just yet because I just started a new job at an Asian restaurant, and they're already kind of weirded out by my gauges (lame!). I'm about to move out of my preppy little town of Kingwood, Texas, to an amazing and much more open minded town called San Marcos in 2 months, which would be the perfect opportunity to make the plunge. FRESH START! I don't plan to backcomb, but I do plan to twist and rip. Should I just let my hair section itself (I'd have to quit brushing!) and then twist and rip? Karma Jane said:
hey there sweet mama! I'm so glad you joined the Forums before your dreads have started.. since you are growing your hair out for dreads anyway.. start TODAY! make a vow to yourself and your locks that you just wont cut your hair or brush it at all ever again. your hair will start to knot up faster than you think all by itself. DO NOT BACKCOMB!! Let nature take it's course.. don't try to maintain or make them all perfect, because you will find out soon enough that it will end up being wayyyy more maintenence than you are already doing with your straight hair! the only way to rid yourself of maintenance is to stop maintaining it! mother earth will lock your hair up for you if you just have faith and love in her to do so! :)

welcome home!!
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
i wouldn't do anything except pull the sections that your hair decides it wants... Jaimee Benson said:
Thanks, mama! I'm not sure that I'll start locking them up just yet because I just started a new job at an Asian restaurant, and they're already kind of weirded out by my gauges (lame!). I'm about to move out of my preppy little town of Kingwood, Texas, to an amazing and much more open minded town called San Marcos in 2 months, which would be the perfect opportunity to make the plunge. FRESH START! I don't plan to backcomb, but I do plan to twist and rip. Should I just let my hair section itself (I'd have to quit brushing!) and then twist and rip?

Karma Jane said:
hey there sweet mama! I'm so glad you joined the Forums before your dreads have started.. since you are growing your hair out for dreads anyway.. start TODAY! make a vow to yourself and your locks that you just wont cut your hair or brush it at all ever again. your hair will start to knot up faster than you think all by itself. DO NOT BACKCOMB!! Let nature take it's course.. don't try to maintain or make them all perfect, because you will find out soon enough that it will end up being wayyyy more maintenence than you are already doing with your straight hair! the only way to rid yourself of maintenance is to stop maintaining it! mother earth will lock your hair up for you if you just have faith and love in her to do so! :)

welcome home!!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form