Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bed Head and afraid of flatten beaver tail look

Andre'
@andre
13 years ago
29 posts
Bless up SE and Masssive! I just marked my 3rd month of hair growth and natural lock journey. Patience is my main focus ad not playing with my hair. Question is bed head? My hair is starting ball up an separate but no true locks. I wake up in the morning and of course I have bd head like all but I'm afraid of getting flatten locks an beaver flat tail looking dreads. I need advice on whT to do to avoid this? I BS rinse 2-3 times a week and I wTer rinse my hair every morning in the shower ad just let my hair air dry. I'm the mornings do I need to say "palm brush my hair" the opposite of the direction it's flatten to pop out my hair? Sometimes I do and you see my hair stick out and look more defined looking and see separation. I don't finger brush or do anything else except "flat palm brush" of you follow what I mean. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. When my locks mature I do not want to Congo my licks I will separate. When fo I focus on separating? Also I want to avoid the beaver flat fail look! ;)
updated by @andre: 02/14/15 10:03:05AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

woah, woah woah. you're getting it wet way too often. just wash it 2-3 times a week. keep it dry otherwise. locks tend to hold water like a sponge. They can get moldy and start to rot inside.

As for the beaver tail. just separate as needed. you don't need tocompletelyforget about your hair. As they develop they won't end up flat. how many people with flat locks have you seen? there's no trade secret for having your locks turn out round. Some will be flatter than others, but not just a wide flat mat of hair. As long as you wash correctly, and separate them as they need it (every few days), you should have nothing to worry about

Andre'
@andre
13 years ago
29 posts
Thanks for the advice and info- I thought wetting my hair wouldn't effect the lick process but that's why I ask and learn :) I will just wet my hair when I wash* as far as the bed head should I not be concerned right now and just wake up and go? I thought this Wouldhair eventually Congo in time that's why when I shower I wet my hair but maybe I'm being too concerned at this early stage. Thanks again for the info all info and advice is positive especially when I maybe doing something negative! So just gt up and rock my hair with tubes head and don't touch it? Only when I'm washing it 2-3 times a week?

Baba Fats said:

woah, woah woah. you're getting it wet way too often. just wash it 2-3 times a week. keep it dry otherwise. locks tend to hold water like a sponge. They can get moldy and start to rot inside.

As for the beaver tail. just separate as needed. you don't need tocompletelyforget about your hair. As they develop they won't end up flat. how many people with flat locks have you seen? there's no trade secret for having your locks turn out round. Some will be flatter than others, but not just a wide flat mat of hair. As long as you wash correctly, and separate them as they need it (every few days), you should have nothing to worry about

Andre'
@andre
13 years ago
29 posts
Some typos in the last question LOL I mean to end it by asking should I not be concerned with bed head at my early stage? Should I just wake up and rock my hair regardless of the bedhead matted look and don't touch it? Bless*

Baba Fats said:

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

exactly. after you wash a few times (while it;s still wet), check for any congos and just rip them apart. It's not necessary every time you shower, but every once in a while.

Yeah, just wake up and go. that's the beauty of dreadlocks. Nomaintenance. They end up taking care of themselves

Andre'
@andre
13 years ago
29 posts
Ok cool Baba! thanks alot! Yes I love the process and journey definitely patience is key! I was just concerned of flattening my locks as they mature. Again I'm at the early stage 3month journey and just want to get all my knowledge on myself and hair ;) I thought bedhead would just make my dreads eventually grow into one big Congo or flat and thought I needed to say "palm brush" them up/out but I guess they will separate them selves at this stage and I will separate them as they start to form Nd grow! Big up Urself bro! Much love light and RASPEKT for the feedback!

Baba Fats said:

exactly. after you wash a few times (while it;s still wet), check for any congos and just rip them apart. It's not necessary every time you shower, but every once in a while.

Yeah, just wake up and go. that's the beauty of dreadlocks. Nomaintenance. They end up taking care of themselves

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

when i wake up and its a day i dont need to shower (i do this everyday for that matter) look in the mirror, like how flat they look and check out some progress n check for congos seeing which dreads need more attention then others, and then i give em a BIIIIIIIIG shake like im head banging, ill bend down n do it upside down go from side to side. when they are sectioned enough and holding their own pretty well is when i started doing this. its awesome :D

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Change, YES!!!! I love shake-brushing my hair in the morning! Wakes up the soul, man!

I shake, gently separate the worst offenders, palm brush the top fuzzies of my hair down a bit flatter, and then go on with my day.

Finding new textures is awesome.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

talk to Pantera too. she's a great resource for scalp help as well

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

seriously, its almost like my first cup of coffee in the morning thats how great it is :)

Angel Frye said:

Change, YES!!!! I love shake-brushing my hair in the morning! Wakes up the soul, man!

I shake, gently separate the worst offenders, palm brush the top fuzzies of my hair down a bit flatter, and then go on with my day.

Finding new textures is awesome.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form