Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What qualigfies as "damage"

Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
This post is inspired by an encounter I had with a friend that I had not seen in a long time.He has dreads and he knew that I had started to let my hair dread, so he stopped into my cafe today to say hi and see how my hair was doing.As soon as he looked at them he said, "man those need serious work!"I laughed and said "oh yea like what". So he grabbed one of my dreads and tried to palm roll it and I was like whoa brother you better let go of that. I wasn't mad becasue I know that in his mind he thought he was helping me. So I thanked him for trying to help and explained why I was allowing them to do their thing.He is convinced that the loose hairs will always be loose and that my hair cant possibly dread on it own becuase of the texture. He was also saying how they were "going flat".His dreads are probably the tightest cleanest bluntest most uniform dreads I have ever seen. But in that same respect they are totally boring.He uses a method in which you use a tiny plastic needle with a big loop on the end to "crochet" the loose hairs and the tips. Now I was telling hm about damage done from crocheting and the need for continual maintnacnce. But because he uses that tiny needle instead of a big crochet one he doesnt break tons of hairs. And since he dosent break tons of hairs he neevr has to keep doing it.So there really is no apparent damage. Most people might see his perfectly boring cookie cutter hair and think "well if it doesnt hurt and it makes your dreads perfect why not do it? When you tell people that they shouldnt do it just because its not natural, you make naturalism sound dogmatic. Natural law is not arbitrary. There is always a practical and logical reason to follow nature.So wheres the harm or damage in this case. In my opinion the damage is robbing yourself of your individual right to expression. You are limiting your bodies capacity to express its natural individuality. By followng that method, you are making it so that absolutely any person could have identical hair.We are living art and we all represent unique characteristics and designs of the entirety of nature. I think that you could say that that kind of natural cencorship is just as damaging as breaking hair.Now I hope people dont just try to find subtle probable ways that he is possibly harming his hair with this method becasue that is not my point. My point is that the limiting of your bodies individual expression is the real crime/damage/harm and that the damage to the hair is only ever just a manifestation of that. It is the evident process of the self enforcing procedure of natural law. The damage is secondary to the cencorship of natural expression
updated by @didjeridurian: 02/14/15 07:31:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i like the way you think and i do agree 100% that he is robbing himself of having dreads that are uniquely his and his alone..im sure there is physical dammafge done with that much excessive work, plus just the time put into it has to be extreme the dammage also is in the loss of life the momments spents rollin g rubbing fussing demanding "perrfection" could have been spent simply living..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
simply living simplyrespect brother soaringeagle said:
i like the way you think and i do agree 100% that he is robbing himself of having dreads that are uniquely his and his alone..im sure there is physical dammafge done with that much excessive work, plus just the time put into it has to be extreme the dammage also is in the loss of life the momments spents rollin g rubbing fussing demanding "perrfection" could have been spent simply living..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
the most beautiful part of dreading is letting go of that need to create a false front of perfection its acceptence of the flaws that make you you..

--
Kellye
@kellye
15 years ago
91 posts
see i wish morepeople relized this the other day one of my best friends who knows why i'm letting my dreads do what they want more then anymone, she started saying they could look sop much better and this and that man... i thought she understood it kinda hurt when she started in on me. aw welll....
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Hugs sisterWe love your dreads cause they are YOUR dreads.They arent someone elses idea of what dreads "are" Kellye said:
see i wish morepeople relized this the other day one of my best friends who knows why i'm letting my dreads do what they want more then anymone, she started saying they could look sop much better and this and that man... i thought she understood it kinda hurt when she started in on me. aw welll....
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
your dreads couldnt possibly look better! they are so perfect for you..u should just say nah my dreads are too damn sexy to mess up by screwing with em. Kellye said:

--
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
every single dreadhead is different.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
ah I like how you put it, and to think I thought this was just the same old topic :)if you look at any ones dreads on this site, I think one of the coolest things is how diverse everyone's is, kinda cool to think we all have dreads, yet no ones is the same, which also supports the argument that dreads are more than just a hairstyle,
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
i think it is just a hairstylebut a hairstyle that is far more descriptive of a persons personality:how they look, how they feel, how they were done, how they smell, it goes on and on Iain said:
ah I like how you put it, and to think I thought this was just the same old topic :)

if you look at any ones dreads on this site, I think one of the coolest things is how diverse everyone's is, kinda cool to think we all have dreads, yet no ones is the same, which also supports the argument that dreads are more than just a hairstyle,
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form