Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

touching your hair

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

So who here doesn't mind when people ask to touch your locks? I happen to love it. First it just feels nice to play with them, and have my scalp massaged. Second, and this happened today, a girl at schoo said she was a hair dresser, but has never done locks. She asked me if they ever smell. I said no, and she asked why some do. I told her it was because of wax and improper care. She seemed shocked, but at the same time grateful that I told her, in case she is ever asked to do them.

So I got off topic, I do that, but I never understood why people are so uptight about having someone touch their hair. Maybe it's just me. I have no shame

updated by @baba-fats: 02/14/15 10:18:48AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont mind either except well it depends on the situation i guess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

well, yeah. I was down the shore with my girlfriend and her family, and a waitress, not ours, just walked up past our table and flicked one of mine. That bothered me. But as long as they ask, I say yes to everyone

Dread Pirate JuJu
@dread-pirate-juju
13 years ago
7 posts

I think it's a personal space thing for some people. For me, I use it as an educational experience for strangers, because many of them get the wrong impression about dreads. This may sound weird (and it did to me at first too) but a guy asked to feel them, and when I told him about keeping them clean, he said the only people he knew with dreads never washed their hair, and apparently stunk to high heaven! Now the weird part was that he asked if he could smell mine. Well, I wanted to prove to him that not all dreads are dirty and stinky, so I obliged (I wasn't alone in case you were wondering. Had a whole group of friends with me). I had just washed with baking soda, so they were extra fresh. He was quite amazed at the lack of odor and the non-greasy feel. I don't think I would have done that had I been alone, but I'm glad he learned about dreads. My coworkers like to touch them all the time, because half of the people there also want dreads.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I actually had one of my biotech professors touch them the other day. It was funny. He didn't realize how they formed, not even the wax bit. He then pulled out a picture of himself back in the day with his day more than half way down his back. I told him they would have made perfect locks. We both laughed.

Yea, I use it as an educationalexperiencetoo. lots of kids at school complement mine and say they want them one day. I do my best to steer them in the right direction, but I think most just like the idea, and would end up using wax and back combing. Even if they did it naturally, I don't think they'd keep them long term

Corey
@corey
13 years ago
5 posts

It's no different; people always touched my hair, usually without asking. Now at least with dreads, they ask first! What I have noticed is that womenfolk seem to clutch their purses when they see me and menfolk tend to say "hello". I'm not sure what that means. Mine are very new, though and I'm an old lady...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

First off, you don't look old at all. And second, dreadlocks are sexy. Plain and simple. I can't speak for the women. Are you the only one in your area with them? Maybe it's still a "fear of the unknown" thing

Corey
@corey
13 years ago
5 posts

Well, I am right on the border of Amish Country in Pennsylvania, so there aren't too many of us about. I had really long hair beefore I dreaded so people were always touching my hair (and really, who minds someone playing with their hair? There are a whole lot worse things a person can do to you, right?) Old is a state of mind, but I have to say, one of the things I like MOST about my dreads is that it really brings out the silver in my hair. I like it, and I have earned every single gray hair I have so I want them to bee seen!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

ha. Yeah, Lancaster isn't really the place to see locks. Maybe some punks, but not too many dreaddies. And I hear you about the grey hair. My girlfriend really wants grey locks one day

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
I have had more people touch my dreads than ever acted like they were going to touch my pregnant belly. Maybe I was scarier back then lol. It kinda catches me by surprise. I don't mind the touching but I am a bit self conscious that my hair is so dry.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form