Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Things my dreads have taught me...

Dread Pirate JuJu
@dread-pirate-juju
13 years ago
7 posts

Hi all! This is my first post. First off, let me just say that if it wern't for this site, I would have walked towards the awful waxy path! Thankfully, I read the anti-wax posts before I made that decision. It wasn't until much later that I read how bad crochet hooks were. Oh well. Life is a learning process. So, who am I? I'm a cartoonist/writer for a local paper that my brother-in-law runs. It's pretty cool, but doesn't really pay the bills, so I also work at a *ahem* very corporate coffee shop that shall remain nameless. They don't like crazy colored hair, but there's nothing in the dress code that says I can't have dreads!

Here's another fact: This is actually my second attempt at dreads. The first time, I had them for about 7 months, and crocheted the heck out of them. Big mistake. On top of that, while I thought I was ready for my dready journey, turns out I really wasn't. I was basically dreading for all the wrong reasons. So, I cut them off, and decided to start over. It was very nice having a fresh start. After nearly a year without them, I decided I would give them another go. I've had dreads 2.0 now for about 4.5 months. I was trying my darndest to keep them neat and orderly (and yes, still occasionally crocheting them), but then had a revelation while seeing my mom's ivy-covered house. The ivy grew wild and did what it wanted. Some clumped together, other strands went off on their own. And yet, they were all still beautiful. So that's when I tossed the crochet hook, and stopped fussing. I've been full neglect, using baking soda to wash my hair (thanks for the tip!) officially for the past month, and I am loving it! I'll be posting some pics very soon.

updated by @dread-pirate-juju: 01/13/15 09:15:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ah nature it sure will teach ya huh

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dawnie Mulvaney
@dawnie-mulvaney
13 years ago
2 posts

Your post is lovely!

I've had dreads for a little over two years now and it's the longest I have ever gone without changing my hair 'style'. I used to get really bored with my hair and changed it every couple of weeks to change how I looked.

Since I dreaded my hair, not only am I not bored (it changes every day on it's own and I'm completely in love with that), but when I look in the mirror, I look like me. I've never had that before. I've always been looking for things to change. My dreads have made me realise that this is what I look like... and that if they can be beautifulyet not 'fit the mould', then so can I. (Reading that back sounds very cheesy, but I can't think of a way to reword it and for it still to say what I want it to... sorry...)

I've always loved them in private, but I tend to tie them up for work and try to fit in with the corporate image at work.Over the past few weeks I've decided to embrace my dreads more. I was finding snappage where my bobble (hair tie??) has been too tight to keep them 'neat'. I've wrn them down every day for three weeks now and have never had so much love for them (or so many compliments!!). Turns out the only person who was judging my dreads in a corporate environment was me...

My dreads have taught me that being yourself will make you happier, more healthy and less self concious. They've also taught me that people aren't as closed minded as you might think.

Thanks for the ivy analogy... it made me realise all of that. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

that was very well put as well

and when i worked in a corporate office i had the same feeling ..at least for the interview but 1st day aty work i let my dreads fly and everyone loved em they even jused my pics to promote the corporate image haha i was on the promo materials they gave away to clients like a calander poster and coffee mugsso not only did dreads fit the corporate image they were the image used to represent the corporation

Dawnie Mulvaney said:

Your post is lovely!

I've had dreads for a little over two years now and it's the longest I have ever gone without changing my hair 'style'. I used to get really bored with my hair and changed it every couple of weeks to change how I looked.

Since I dreaded my hair, not only am I not bored (it changes every day on it's own and I'm completely in love with that), but when I look in the mirror, I look like me. I've never had that before. I've always been looking for things to change. My dreads have made me realise that this is what I look like... and that if they can be beautifulyet not 'fit the mould', then so can I. (Reading that back sounds very cheesy, but I can't think of a way to reword it and for it still to say what I want it to... sorry...)

I've always loved them in private, but I tend to tie them up for work and try to fit in with the corporate image at work.Over the past few weeks I've decided to embrace my dreads more. I was finding snappage where my bobble (hair tie??) has been too tight to keep them 'neat'. I've wrn them down every day for three weeks now and have never had so much love for them (or so many compliments!!). Turns out the only person who was judging my dreads in a corporate environment was me...

My dreads have taught me that being yourself will make you happier, more healthy and less self concious. They've also taught me that people aren't as closed minded as you might think.

Thanks for the ivy analogy... it made me realise all of that. :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Robert Dale Renner
@robert-dale-renner
13 years ago
3 posts

welcome juju! I am new at posting to this site as well. As far as my dreads teaching me anything...well not much I did'nt already know. I grew up as a shit kicker and I still am and very proud of it, BUT to be 'cool' here where I'm from you must wear a pearl snap shirt and ride bulls or atleast act like you do. Most of the folks around here want to judge me immeaditly because of my dreads (which is what I already knew and its no big deal) and classify me as a stoned slacker even though I grew up on a 3rd generation farm. It's funny because the call me a 'hippie' even though they are clueless to the fact they are the hippies dressing alike like perfect manufactured robots. You should see their faces when this hippie hops up ona herford and whips theshit out of'em... I'm very jealous of the fact your a writter keep it up

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form