Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda: bad for your hair?

Samalamajam
@samalamajam
13 years ago
14 posts

So, I've been posting progress dread videos to youtube. One of my videos was about the first time I washed with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), apple cider vinegar conditioner rinse and essential oils. Check it out here. If you don't want to watch the video I basically rave about how much I loved the results even in my first wash.

-My question for everyone revolves around a comment I got on my video. Our conversation went like this...-

Person: "Baking Soda is very bad for the hair.Dries it out extensively and you dont want you hair excessively dry, just clean"

Me: "Really? Can you tell me where you are getting your information from (personal experience, internet, hearsay??) I've been washing my hair with this technique for a month and a half and it works fantastic. Baking soda alone will dry your scalp; this is why you have to balance the pH in your scalp with an apple cider vinegar conditioning rinse. Also, people with and without dreads wash with baking soda. Google the "no poo" movement."

Person : "Not internet, hearsay, or personal experience. Not to sound rude but just common sense. Baking soda is a chemically drying agent, its what it does. The fact that it drys your scalp so much, will over time eat away at the follicles under the scalp. And yes i am a "no poo'er" too lol. I tend to use a black soap mixture on my hair though."

So, I did some research and these were some comments I found elsewhere on the internet that spoke badly about BS. (Maybe where he/she is getting their information?) Truthfully, everywhere else on the internet said good things not bad about BS.

"Baking Soda is a salt (aka Sodium Bicarbonite), just like sodium sulfate. Not sure what you hope to gain there because it seems like it would be just as harsh on hair (I do use it as a scrub and mixed into my toothpaste. just think the chemical properties AND the texture of baking soda will be no good for hair!?"

"Yeah, baking soda is a pretty extreme alkali. Erm, so no, don't do that. I mean, yes, your hair will be "clean" afterwards, but it probably won't do it or your scalp much good at all. Would you wash your hair in battery acid?"

Everywhere else on the internet all I have heard is good things. I've been washing with BS and ACV for over a month now and I love it!!! But, i want to know if there is any scientific basis behind this person's assumptions, not just personal experience (as I can offer that already). For instance the "battery acid" comment and the "eat away at the follicles under the scalp".

Seems a little unbelievable to me.

updated by @samalamajam: 01/13/15 09:14:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they dont know what they are talking about look on any long hair care forums and baking soda is highly recomended on every 1 of them the only site i ever saw saying anything bad was poolhead cause both chlorine and bs are alkeline u shouldnt do bds after being in a chlorinated pool

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

And I guess it'd be harmful if you're making a thick paste with BS and rubbing it liberally it on your scalp!!! Yikes. My baby dreads quiver just to think of the abuse.

Personal experience: my scalp is nowhere near as tender as it once was now that I've been using BS for at least a month. Not sure why. But my hair looks awesome and it doesn't feel like it's going to fall out at the root anytime soon!!

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

I used bs acv on non-dreaded hair for about 3 months. I loved it at first but after a few months I noticed my hair started falling out A LOT more than when I was using regular shampoo. I'm sure it depends on your hair texture. Mine is really thin and fine.

I wouldn't say that bs is the worst thing ever and I wouldn't deter anyone from using it because so many people love it and I love the "no poo" movement.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form