Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dr bonners weird texture on hair

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

Gah! I feel like such a n00b asking all these questions, sorry =( oh and happy thanksgiving for everyone in the USA :)

So I washed my hair with dr. bonners today. I did about a 1-14 ratio, I think. I kind of eyeballed it. It didn't sudz up in my hair like normal shampoo but I think this is normal. I used quite a bit because I didn't know thevolume I needed to sufficiently wash my hair. I felt like I rinsed for a while; however, right now i am feeling my hair and it feels sticky for lack of a better term. It might just be because its still kind of damp. Like if I palm rolled the ends all the loose hairs would clump together like when your hair is really greasy. Is this normal? Or did I not rinse out well enough? Or is my hair really greasy on the ends butsqueakyclean on the top?

updated by @aya-heartright: 01/13/15 09:14:20PM
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I have that problem with the Tea Tree Doc Bronners but not the Lavender, I do believe it is some kind of residue, do you by any chance have hard water?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

bronners doesnt work well in hard water and this is typical of what u get in hard water

u can rinse with distilled warter and its fine u can add borax to bronners and it will rinse right

or switch to siomethimg else

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

how much borax to add? What else should I use? I don't want to do bs acv. I used to use that on my hair and it chemically burnt my scalp, even with a 1tbsp per cup water ratio.

I have city water so I don't see why it would be hard?

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

I had the same problem with the Dr. Bronners. Now I love, love, love Dr. B's and use it for almost everything around the house, including bathing my kids and their hair, but for my dreads, it just builds up gunk inside. I don't notice the same issue in my kids' hair, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the Dr. B's stays inside of the dread. Dunno for sure though. Anyway, I switched to bs/acv for a while and that caused my hair to become very brittle. Started my dreads over and now I use the organic dread bar everyone is raving about from Bucks County Soap Factory. It is, by far, the best thing I have ever used on my hair. I still need the acv for rinsing because there is a tiny bit of residue, but it rinses right out with the acv rinse. I have really, really hard water. Like, you can actually SMELL the chlorine coming through the faucet. (And yes, city water is infamous for hard water because of all of the chemicals they use to treat it) My suggestion, go for the dread bar. They don't have the same philosophy issues as DreadHead HQ and they provide a completely organic, vegan, earth friendly option that cleans dreads better than anything I have used. My fave is the Nag Champa but I also like the Dragon's Blood. Hope that helps.

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

Cathy, how much is that bar and where do you buy it?

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

The bar itself is $10, and then the U.S. pays shipping of $3.99, which I thought it was a little pricey, considering the fact that I only pay $5 for a bar of Dr B's, but I have been using mine about a month and I was my hair about every other day (I smoke and hate the way it makes my hair smell) and I still have about half a bar left. You can order it from here: http://www.dreadlockshampoo.com/page5.html

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
13 years ago
91 posts

Hmmm. I might give it a try. I washed my hair again yesterday and let it rinse out in warm water for about 5 minutes... the texture feels better. I'm going to give it about a month to see if its not the soap but me not knowing how to wash my hair properly.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form