Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Has anyone successfully rid themselves of lice?

Westcoaster
@westcoaster
13 years ago
81 posts

My daughter brought lice home from school and we thought we got rid of them but then a few days ago we found them again and everyone has them.

I stripped the house down and washed everything.

I also bagged all of her cuddlies for a few weeks.

After trying to use a natural method the first time around I went to the pharmacy and bought a product that was supposed to kill them on contact this time. I have treated myself twice (it was only supposed to take once) and I have treated both my partner and daughter but they are still in my hair (not in their's).

I am at a total loss. I just don't know what to do.

Has anyone had lice and managed to get rid of them? I don't want to waste time trying theoretical treatments.

updated by @westcoaster: 01/13/15 09:14:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

alcahol 70% rubbing alcahol pour over head (breathe through a paper towel tube or something so the fumes dont overwhelm u ) careful to not let it drip down forehead into eyes bun up your dreads b4 u ddo pour it into the bun u dont gotta soakk ewm its the fumes that kill wrap the hair in saran wrap tight so its nearly airtightt this seals in the fumes so theres more alcahol then air to breathe

leave it on 1/2 hour or longer (dont smoke tyou are a firebomb hazard toill u wash) after 30-60 minutez wash then do an undiluted acv soak 10 min or longer wash or rinse

repeat every 3 days

u can add neem seed oil (heat it 1st) add the neem to the shampoo

use teatree between washes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
13 years ago
81 posts

How many repeats before they are gone?

And presumably all the bed sheets will have to be washed daily along with clothing, right?

Also, will neem oil diluted with water work to spray down carpets and furniture or will it stain?

Thanks so much SE!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

im not sure if it wioll stainm neem seed opil hardens at room temps tho and needs heat to liquify so u might want to do a hiot clarifying shampoo once your bug free

the alcahol u should do a minumum of 3 treatments every 3 days over 9 datys more if needed but that should do it if u do it thouroughly

the neem u can do as l=often as needed

tip..heat also kills them so u might try a steam cleaner on furniture and rugs..not sure it will do the trick but probly worth a try

--
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
13 years ago
81 posts

Sounds good. I'm sitting here with my hair full of rubbing alcohol and wrapped in saran wrap as we speak, lol. I look like a complete goof!

Then I'm going to completely rinse with vinegar. I figured I would then rub some grapeseed oil and tea tree oil through my hair and leave that in.

I will try the steam cleaner. My mom has one so that will be easy to do. I'm also going to through all the linens into her dryer for 40 minutes on high.

Thank you sooo much for the help!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

when u wash out the alcahol u may see them falling out all over and the next couple days might find dead ones on your pillow when u wake up i know it sounds nasty but at least they are dead and falling out

oh u can do this more then 3 days like every 2 or whatever the 3 day cycles the min nesacary to break the 5 day cycle of birth/maturity/egg laying

when eggs hatch it takes 5 daysto hatch they then mature in 5 days and ,lay more eggs that hatch in 5 daysso u gotta kill every generation b4 they lay eggs

--
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
13 years ago
81 posts

Eew. lol Yah I guess they have to go somewhere, eh. I was a little grossed out by the idea that they would stay in my hair and incorporate into my dreads.

I think I'll do it every 2 days. I'm just so worried that they won't go away and I'll have to cut my hair :-(

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

they mostly fall out they live in the 1/4 inch nearest the scalp they have no reason to go into the dreaded parts at all tho i guess ppl that force the roots to be extremely tight will have that problem

but since yoir roots aeent t=ight to the scalp they are living in loose hair only and when they cant gro]ip the hair (cause they are dead) they should just fall out

tho some may take a few days to shake loose

--
Dreaded Punky
@dreaded-punky
12 years ago
1 posts

these people have the timing down to a science!

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/

soaring eagle said:

alcahol 70% rubbing alcahol pour over head (breathe through a paper towel tube or something so the fumes dont overwhelm u ) careful to not let it drip down forehead into eyes bun up your dreads b4 u ddo pour it into the bun u dont gotta soakk ewm its the fumes that kill wrap the hair in saran wrap tight so its nearly airtightt this seals in the fumes so theres more alcahol then air to breathe

leave it on 1/2 hour or longer (dont smoke tyou are a firebomb hazard toill u wash) after 30-60 minutez wash then do an undiluted acv soak 10 min or longer wash or rinse

repeat every 3 days

u can add neem seed oil (heat it 1st) add the neem to the shampoo

use teatree between washes

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form