Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Black Tar Soap for a white girl's young dreads?

Jill C
@jill-c
13 years ago
5 posts

I currently wash 1-2x a week with diluted Bronners. Usually I pre-rinse with ACV and lemon juice (seems to help with dandruff which I'm constantly battling.) Once in a while I throw in some baking soda but not often because the BS seems to make my scalp much more dandruffy. I would like to find something that leaves my hair feeling cleaner and anything that helps with dandruff (or at least doesn't make it worse) would be a huge bonus.

I was just recommended (organic, all-natural) African Black Tar soap but after doing a little googling, I've some concerns about whether or not it would be too moisturizing. I'm caucasian but also Jewish. I've got a lot of curly hair and it's been doing a good job of locking up mostly on their own since July on this year. This picture's not the best but that's basically what I'm working with. So does anyone have any advice for me? Any white girls with African Black Soap stories?

updated by @jill-c: 02/14/15 07:54:36AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not use it and never ever use lemon juice!

use baking sioda witrh teatree and rosemarty then rinse then use acv then rinse

u must use acv after bs

not b4

and the essential oils are essential

a cold rinse after hels even more

bs removes dandruff byut dries the scalp if u dont swing the ph back with acv

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jill C
@jill-c
13 years ago
5 posts

I always rinse at the very end with cold water for as long as I can stand it and I've done the ACV rinse both before and after the BS wash and as long as the BS has been included, the dandruff gets worse. Maybe someone else has experienced this? But honestly, for the most part, I do it first because I'm bothered by the lingering smell of ACV if I don't. And I use essential oils too, I have teatree and others (vetiver, sweet orange, other awesome-smelling things) but haven't picked up rosemary yet. I'll try adding that when I do.

As for the lemon juice, I use it to moderate the flakiness and I'm sticking by it until something else proves itself. Maybe the addition of rosemary will do the trick. But for now, it's the only anti-dandruff ingredient I've found that makes a measurable difference. It hasn't made it go away entirely but my dandruff's at least 50% less severe thanks to it.

Jill C
@jill-c
13 years ago
5 posts

Posted before I saw your link. Thanks for it, those soaps might be the right fit.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

lemon juice seeps into the inner layers of the hair shaft and slowly breaks down the o=molecular bondsa even worse if u ever color treatted its corosive

how sstrong are u mixing the bs?

and

fructese anti dandruff clear control formula works wi=onfders but isnt easy to rinse so u might want to do a clarifying shampoo sometimes after

rosemary will help and go easy on teatree

--
Jill C
@jill-c
13 years ago
5 posts

I couldn't tell you exact measurements because I didn't take any, but I mixed probably 2 teaspoons or so of BS and a few good squirts of Bronners into a large pitcher that I then filled with water.

I tried that shampoo before embarking on dreads and it didn't make much difference for me. And that's really disappointing to hear about my dandruff remedy. I thought the worst was it was a bit drying and would lighten my hair.

Have you heard anything about these products?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok try this 1 tablespoon per cup if u use a large pitchwer use 1/3 cup b aking soda..no bronners add the oilsd and soak 10 min then rinse then do the acv few sec then rinse

u should not have a lingering smell after a few min its gone

--
Kid Ayn Gibran
@kid-ayn-gibran
13 years ago
25 posts

If I had to guess your hair doesn''t get as dry as most black folks hair so I would vote down the black soap. BS can defintiely dry your hair out so make sure you dilute it enough and do the ACV rinse after. Maybe even dilute the ACV with water and the smell isn't that bad.

You could always try an herbal rinse of rosemary, mint tea, and aloe vera. I buy fresh rosemary and use a couple sprigs, one mint tea bag, and harvest some of my aloe vera plant really just enough to moisturize my hair like 2-3 tbsp. (you can also buy 100% pure aloe vera gel). I put all of that in a glass jar, put a top on it and set it in the sun for about 3-5 hours or you can boil it all. When it's all diffused let it cool down. When it has cooled down, pour the mixture on your hair and scalp while you're over a bowl to catch the contents. You can repour the mixture over your head 3-4 times, but just toss it out when your done.

Check out these video. The guy is pretty opinionated about some controversial subjects, but he knows about dread care. You might wanna skip the sage, which darkens your hair, unless that's something you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CEQXVmnihE&feature=related (start at 6:45)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgaw8YMH0w

Jill C
@jill-c
13 years ago
5 posts

So what I did for todays wash was rinse my hair with a 1:1 mix of ACV and water, massaged it into my scalp, then sat with a towel wrap for about 20 minutes. The I mixed less than 1/3rd cup BS with a squirt of Bronners and a couple drops of rosemary oil into a pitcher, added a couple cups of water and washed with that. There's dandruff floating around in my hair but my scalp looks if not a little better, definitely not worse.

I watched those videos and after I give this new procedure a couple tries, I think I'll give that rinse (with the aloe vera instead of sage) a chance. Especially because I still couldn't bring myself to do the ACV after instead of before the washing.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form