Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads and Living Out of a Backpack for 11 Months

Lydia Hart
@lydia-hart
13 years ago
2 posts

Hey, I am looking for some advice on how to adequately take care of my hair next year. In January I am going overseas to live in 11 different second and third world countries for 11 months do to missions and charity work. The under part of my hair is all dreaded, mostly through twist-rip method and the rest I am letting dread naturally, for now at least. I wash my hair 1-2 times a week with baking soda and use apple cider vinegar after. That's all I ever do to it.

The things I am worried about are that I am pretty much going to be sweaty, dirty and without a normal shower for 11 months, as well as have very limited control over what I can use to clean and take care of my hair as well as how often. I pretty much won't know until I arrive at each country whether I am going to be living out of a tent and showering in a bucket, or if I will be staying at someone's house and have a normal shower. I am guessing I can get baking soda pretty easily, but I don't know about apple cider vinegar. I can't take a whole year's supply of either because the only thing I am taking is my backpack and space and weight are limited.

So if needed, what are acceptable substitutes for these things, especially conditioner because I have really long and pretty dry hair. And do any of you have an experience with dreads and these sort of living conditions? (I am going to El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Nepal and India) I'm not a clean freak, but I am worried about my hair getting nasty, smelly, moldy or buggy.

Also, I've heard that tea tree oil can be used to keep away lice and bugs, lavender helps prevent mold and rosemary helps with dandruff? Is that true? I will probably try to bring at least a few months supply of those things if I can squeeze them in somewhere.

Thanks!

(If you are interested in what I will be doing next year, check out my blog: lydiahart.theworldrace.org)

updated by @lydia-hart: 01/13/15 09:13:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats awesome and yea teatree rosemarey and lavenfder are great and u can fit a years supply in your pockets

take 1 bottle of nutrafena anti residue so if u end up stuck using crap shampoo for a month at the end of the month do a residue removal

a 2-4 oz bottle ogf jojoba should give u all the conditioning u need for the year too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
13 years ago
122 posts

Also if you get a bottle of Dr. Bronners...that should last a while. If you can't fit one big bottle...get a few of the sample sizes. You dilute it so it should last a while. I would however recommend only using that when you have access to a shower because it takes quite a bit of rinsing.

Brittany Marie
@brittany-marie
13 years ago
9 posts

^ agreed. a little bit of dr. bronners will take you a loong way. you know, you can easily combine these ideas by getting the lavender dr bronners and adding a bit of tea tree oil and rosemary into it :) my boyfriend has been adding tea tree to his bronners for years now and his hair is absolutely pristine. i think the rosemary would be a nice touch though! be safe on your travels! sounds like you're in for quite an adventure :)

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

oh thats so cool! im happy for you!! just wanted to say best wishes on your travels :D

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I agree with the Doc Bronners! My bottle has lasted me more than a year, (granted I don't use that always but I've used it lots and also on my children!)

Lydia Hart
@lydia-hart
13 years ago
2 posts

thanks all so much for your help!! i bought some lavender bronners the other day, you all have been very helpful. :)

lydiahart.theworldrace.org

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form