Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need more info on how to keep my dreads

Razvan
@razvan
13 years ago
8 posts

Hi guys, so I began my dreadlock journey like 6 months ago with the crochet method (a girl I found on the internet made them for me and she's really good) and also had them fixed 3 months ago... and I was searching for more information on how to repair them and I came across this forum and some of the guys are saying here that we shouldn't use the hooks and it seems plausible what they're trying to say.

Even so, I'm living in China now and I don't think I can find someone who can repair them for me anymore (or maybe I can find someone in Hong Kong but I've heard it's kind of expensive). Because I have like 40 dreads on my head and I don't have the patience nor the skills to repair them with the crochet.. I was thinking of taking those guys advice that they gave to the other users.

But when they say "stop messing with them" what do they actually mean? Mine are beginning to tangle to each other.. should I do something about that? Should I cut the hair, try to take it out. or should I just let it be?

And also last time I needed them repaired because the roots looked kind of weird (flat) but the rest was ok, except a lot of loose hair (but I know, it's normal) and I even think most of them got pretty tight.

If you could help me by giving some more information about this I would gladly appreciate it! And sorry if it has been discussed before, I just couldn't find the right topics.

updated by @razvan: 01/13/15 09:13:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

pull them away from eachother when wet

that is the only thing you ever should do is seperate

when you pull then the conecting hairs rip..never ever cut

just seperate weekly at least

and never crochet

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Razvan
@razvan
13 years ago
8 posts
thanks for answering!oh, and I have some dreads that are above my ears that are kind of shorter than the other ones.. could I cut them and apply them to the ones in front (that way I could even tie them all to the back) or is it a bad idea?and I have blunted ends.. should I do something about this also?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt cut them why should they be even? they shouldnt also the blunt ends will make then=m dry way way slower its up to u if u want to loosen up the tips to make em more natural or not

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Razvan
@razvan
13 years ago
8 posts

I guess when I used to cut my hair it was smaller on the sides.. and I think those dreads will lock even slower because they look and feel more loose than the other ones.

I would like to unblunt them but I'm afraid I'm going to break them as I don't really know how to use the crochet

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
13 years ago
95 posts

just let them alone is my advice. there is already a lot of damage because of crocheting and you

don't want to damage them even worse.

Let them recover first and only do separation like SE said and your going good!

Razvan
@razvan
13 years ago
8 posts
ok, thanks for answering.. I will take your advices.I hope for a good result :)
Dizzie Devil
@dizzie-devil
13 years ago
18 posts

If you want to add the shorter ones to the longer ones you could join them with a bead, or some sort of wool thread by twisting in opposite directions. They will "congo" on their own with no further assistance. I wish you lots of luck on your journey. Keep it natural from here on out, now that you are in China, with no resources to "maintain" you have the perfect opportunity to let them come alive! The flatness at the roots is natural, it is better for your roots to be flat, they will dread on their own. If you look thru the photos on this site of peoples dreads who are natural, you will see how beautiful they are. Love them for what they are, they are yours and make you an individual! You seem to be very unique, let your dreads follow your path! Blessed be my young brother!

Razvan said:

I guess when I used to cut my hair it was smaller on the sides.. and I think those dreads will lock even slower because they look and feel more loose than the other ones.

I would like to unblunt them but I'm afraid I'm going to break them as I don't really know how to use the crochet

Razvan
@razvan
13 years ago
8 posts

thanks, you used some nice words! I'm no longer thinking about doing that... I'm just going to let them do their own thing. So far so good.. I actually think they are starting to mature, as before.. they didn't feel so. be safe! :) happy holidays!

Dizzie Devil said:

If you want to add the shorter ones to the longer ones you could join them with a bead, or some sort of wool thread by twisting in opposite directions. They will "congo" on their own with no further assistance. I wish you lots of luck on your journey. Keep it natural from here on out, now that you are in China, with no resources to "maintain" you have the perfect opportunity to let them come alive! The flatness at the roots is natural, it is better for your roots to be flat, they will dread on their own. If you look thru the photos on this site of peoples dreads who are natural, you will see how beautiful they are. Love them for what they are, they are yours and make you an individual! You seem to be very unique, let your dreads follow your path! Blessed be my young brother!

Razvan said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form