Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking about starting over with the natural method

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

My dreadlocks are now two months away from being a year old. Time went by so fast but I'm not really liking the results of my backcombed dreads. Over all I feel as if they would look a lot better if I did the natural method but I've come so far with the dreadies I have. What do you guys think I should do? :/ Also are there any downsides to the natural method that I should know about? I know that they take longer to form but I am willing to wait. How would I take my backcombed dreads out if I do decide to get rid of them?

Thank you for your help! :)

updated by @tessa-smith: 02/14/15 08:24:04AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

no disadvantages to natural no

you can use alotta conditioner or olive oil soak em and slowly and carefully comb or brush them out it takes days to undo em

what you should do well

if u let em naturalize after the 1st day backcombing they will look more and mor natural as time goes by

but if you really feel you want to start over naturaly then go for it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

Well I guess the things that are making me want to change are that I have a lot of flat dreads, and I would like them to be bigger because right now I have ones that are tinier then a pencil. And the roots of my dreads are so tiny. Do you think they would look better if I did the natural method?

soaring eagle said:

no disadvantages to natural no

you can use alotta conditioner or olive oil soak em and slowly and carefully comb or brush them out it takes days to undo em

what you should do well

if u let em naturalize after the 1st day backcombing they will look more and mor natural as time goes by

but if you really feel you want to start over naturaly then go for it

Egubman
@egubman
13 years ago
46 posts

hey, i think i have same kind of probem, im 4 months into crochet dreads...and now im recovering

i love most of the dreads, but there are one or two whos behaving very naughty :O (lot of frizz and seems to be no changes)

so what i did like two weeks back was, i took one dreads completely out exept for like an inch near the roots.

and that one i tnr'd but it fell apart in a day (i suck at tnr'ing!) then i jus didnt bother.

now i can feel its startin the lockin up process aready!

i think this might be a good idea for you.

just take out the oness that are misbahaving and just leave em...im plannin to take out 2 or 3 more ouut of mine

bigbuttannie
@bigbuttannie
13 years ago
6 posts

I brushed then cut out my backcombed dreads it was the best decision I've made. Im only 17 days into the neglect method and I already have a baby dread and the rest of my hair is sectioning off by itself :) It was hard, but so worth it.

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts

Thanks guys! I combed out a few of my dreads that made up my bangs and I just can't get up the courage to comb the rest out :x I think I might just suck it up and do it though or perhaps comb them out part way like you did Egubman. Thank you!

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

In case you decide to take them out, thought I would share what I did. I saturated my dreads in conditioner and actually let the conditioner soak into my hair for about a day. The next day, I rinsed and re-conditioned. I noticed that taking them out was easier to do when they were wet and if I had one that was really stubborn about coming out, I would just add some more conditioner. Whatever you decide to do though, good luck! I am heading into day three of neglect and am already seeing some separating. Wish I would have started this way to begin with, but live and learn, right?

Robert Wortrich
@robert-wortrich
13 years ago
1 posts

Hey guys, I recently (3 days ago) started my dreads up from scratch using the crocheting method that was done by a friend of mine. After a lot of reading I found out that it was one of the worst ways possible to get dreads done. Is there any way possible my dreads can recover and continue growing in a different, and better manner?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yes well theres no full recovery from crochet as the damage once done is done but if u just leave em alone and resist all urges to crochet again they will recover

unfortunately this is slow they have to loosen alot to begin to dread right and that takes time also they will get extra fuzzy in the process

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Drew
@drew
13 years ago
8 posts
Hi guys I as well have a few crochet dreads but decided not to go through with all my hairAfter reading some of the comments on here I'm actually going to try and take mind out and go the natural way for sureBring on te journey I reckon

soaring eagle said:

yes well theres no full recovery from crochet as the damage once done is done but if u just leave em alone and resist all urges to crochet again they will recover

unfortunately this is slow they have to loosen alot to begin to dread right and that takes time also they will get extra fuzzy in the process

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form