Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

washing and some really fine hair

YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

i started my dreads when my hair was about 7 inches long. i have caucasion, brown, medium to fine texture i guess....gets really wavy/curly at about 5 or 6 inches....

i did the twist n backcomb method mainly with fingers and some comb, and started them fairly thin on purpose...knowing they will end up thicker.

i use knotty boy wax here and there..i like the stuff

the shampoo i use is head and shoulders...i don't have dandruff or dry scalp yet, but know other ppl w/ dreads who use it because of no conditioner.....but my hair after a wash or even just a rinse is super soft and silky ...i cant stand that

and in a cpl areas in back like at the "hat line" seems to stay way too soft and silky all the time and the dreads aren't holding well in that area....i do wear a baseball hat at work, but at home its usually all out or in a beanie, and i sleep/shower w/ an under armor soft skully

here is a pic when i started them, and where they are now:

thanks for any advice....i can give more details if needed

updated by @yukon: 02/14/15 10:47:44AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u got to start ovcer or at bvery least remove the wax wich is extremely hard to do and thats why its best to start over

wax is evil not even 1 time using it is ok u must have zero wax in your hair to dread right

that shampoo is no good for dreads period it is conditioning

so u have to get the wax out completely and stop using that shampoo

switch to a dread freindly shampoo or baking soda

but .,.i cant stress this strongly enough you must get the wax out of your hair !!!!!!!!!!!!.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes i looked at the pics

they dont look knotty at all just caked in wax

they will never dread that way

when the wax is gione and u wash right they will just dread right uop

--
YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

thanks ...that helps...ill stop w/ the wax, but if i wash or even rinse right now alot will come un-done.....and be a big mess.

seriously, even just a rinse makes my hair really fine/silky...and dreads wont stay...how do i deal w/ that??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stopping the wax isnt good enough u gotta remove it and how u deal with that is..let it they gotta become a big meszs to dread use sea salt spraays or soaks to dry the hair give it texture and get it knotty

they take time

they get frizzy loopy wild and crazy then tighten up and look good

backcombb falls oit alot but what u can do is add beads to a few

thn just let em dread

--
YUKON
@yukon
13 years ago
119 posts

makes sense bro....thanks for the help...thats y i came here

btw....how do you use baking soda to wash (dilute in water and rinse thru i would guess???)...and how much

also what's a good recommendation on the salt spray? (recipe)? ...ive made it before w/ sea salt dissolved into distilled/ro water w/ some lemon juice...seemed nice, but maybe over did it, or caked into wax...dunno

i washed shortly after that...and never wnt back

Cathy Givans
@cathy-givans
13 years ago
44 posts

soaring eagle is right. That wax is a lot of your problem. I don't know how to fix that because I never used it but I hear it's next to impossible to get that goop out of your dreads.Also,the backcombing/tnr methods do come out easy (backcombing is worse, IMO) but the bead idea is great and it isn't damaging like rubber bands and the like. For baking soda rinse, dilute 1 tbsp baking soda with 1 cup water. Dissolve it really well and then pour into hair. I put mine into an oldV05 bottle so that I could have more control over where the rinse ended up but you can use almost anything that has a spout on it. Just make sure you washthe containerreally, really well. Also, I would recommend mixing it up each use just because the water gets cold and that kinda stinks. Don't forget the ACV rinse though. Same instructions as the baking soda.

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
13 years ago
95 posts

Hey!

the wax is just conservation your hair. Under that layer your hair isn't able to move, so it

won't get any knots and you need the knots to become dreads...

Just look at the pics of other members in the first couple of month stages. All their hair is

a big mess to get as much knots as possible.

So to get your real dreading process going, you def have to get the wax out first! Check

the "saved my dreads" stories in the forum section. There you find several advices how

to remove the wax!

Wish you the best!

Josh6
@josh6
13 years ago
53 posts

Your hair looks a lot like mine, I would be interested to keep checking up on your progress if you remove the wax and start over. Dreads take time I learned the hard way too (not wax, twist and rip), start completely from scratch remove the wax and do it naturally. It's worth it even if you are extremely impatient like myself.

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

try using neutrogena anti-residue shampoo. it makes my hair really nappy, and if you use it a couple times, pretty frequently & close together, it might help get some wax out.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form