Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Head lice! Help!

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

My little cousin came over about two weeks ago, and long story short, i found ADULT lice in my brothers head. I've been itching, but I wash my hair every three days, and usually after a wash my head gets itchy due to sensitive skin, with the BS. I'm so paranoid I have lice, i do NOT want to comb my dreads out. It's only been 3 months starting again, but I'm so attached to them already. :( Is there a sure fire way i can get rid of them, or should i just comb out do a treatment and start over? :(

My mom tried to go through my dreads to look at my scalp, but i'm at such a frizzy stage, and have matted roots that i have to separate almost daily, and on top of that, she doesn't even really know what to look for. She can't tell the difference between nats, eggs, or dandruff, and it's hard to pull on what she finds, because my hair is so matted, you can't really just "slide" anything off, and I know eggs stick to the shaft.

updated by @nichole-currier: 02/14/15 10:04:36AM
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

Oh and I'm pregnant, so I'm looking for a safe way to get rid of them, which means if it means i have to comb out, and start over, just so i don't have to use strong chemicals to get them out, and can do a lighter treatment to be sure to get rid of them, sacrificing 3 months of my locking process, to keep harsh fumes away from my unborn son, is more important than using dangerous chemicals to get them out of my dreads. I know of Mayo in my hair, but i don't think it would be good enough because my hair is so thick, and matted, at my lovely, frizzy awkward stage <3 :(

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

I don't think covering my head with rubbing alcohol is safe while pregnant because of the fumes, using a small amount for something is one thing, but completely surrounding my head? :(, man this blows so hard. Thank you for the link though =\

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id ask a dr but the alcahols probly fine except breathing it so breathing through a hose is ok but ask a dr

another option is vasaline

but its a nasty option in dreads hard top get out

another option neem seed oil but again ask a dr

its a powwerful herb

teatree too

heat

dye

yes dying your dreads will kill em

1 of those antique type bonnet hair dryers for a good hour

sulpher powder

suposedly meat tenderizer followed by coke or pepsi

the meat tenderizer dissolves the exoskeleton the pepsy dissolves the eggs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

Do you think if i throw a safe dye on my head for the min. amount of time, wash, throw vinegar in my hair, wrap it, then blow dry with a reg blow dryer on high heat, it would work? I really don't want to put vasaline in my dreads (ick). Will the vinegar for 10 mins condition my 3 month dreads too much? I could imagine if it would be hard for me to breathe under rubbing alcohol, it wouldn't be good on the baby either =\. and i just washed my dreads last night, i've never tried washing two nights in a row, should they be okay? I know I have a ton of pain in the ass questions, but this is a pain in the ass problem haha.

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

If i can use a dye, i might try that, but I've heard of regular mouthwash (brown), mayo (which i don't want anywhere near my dreads) and vinegar, anyone have an opinion on which to try for a follow up, for how long, and how many days after? If i can't get rid of them, I'm sadly going to have to brush them out and start over, to do a mild treatment, that's safe for the baby, and to be sure i get rid of all of them, but I want this to be a must do, last resort thing. I literally cried just thinking about putting a hair brush through my hair :(

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i found this remedy online and it doesn't look like it would condition your hair at all. i would try this before resorting to brushing out your hair. also, i would find someone that knows what lice look like so they can check your scalp and see if you even need to worry.

Head Lice Shampoo

Small Amount
2 tablespoons Tea Tree Oil
6 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY)
2 ounces white vinegar

Medium Amount
2 ounces Tea Tree Oil
12.5 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY)
4 ounces white vinegar

Large Amount
4 ounces Tea Tree Oil
25 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY)
8 ounces white vinegar

Mix the three ingredients in a large squeeze bottle, such as an empty dish soap bottle. Use as regular shampoo, leave on for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Tea Tree Oil may cause some dandruff, but the bugs will be gone. May use every day, and bugs are usually gone within a week. Be VERY CAREFULL not to get in eyes or mouth.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

oh, and here's an herbal treatment that was recommended regularly by naturalwoman.

http://www.delacet.com/

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

I'll deff try that recipe, thank you, i really need to go out and get tea tree, I'm gonna dye my hair, follow up with that, then blow dry, and start adding tea tree along with the oils i already use to my BS wash, (which i should have done months ago anyway lol) I'll let everyone know how it goes with a follow up tomorrow, if anyone has anymore advice, it will be greatly appreciated.. It's impossible to find anything on here, or google, that has to do with pregnant dreaded lice infested women haha.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form