Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

SET IT... AND FORGET IT!

Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Now before you mods see this and want to move it into the general discussion category let me explain why I want to post this here in Dreadlock Maintenance.So I have been super busy lately...new site, new book, big convention coming, blah blah...anyway, before this period of intense work I was checking my hair every day. I would come down the stairs and look in the coat rack mirror to see what progress I was making.I was usually a little disappointed in the change or lack thereof.But for the past week or so, I have been way to busy for any of that. In fact, I almost forgot I even had hair. I either had it under wool or in a sleeve and just went on about my business.Today I was cleaning up around the cafe and I reached up to scratch my head (been about 5 days since my last wash, tonights the night lol) and low and behold I feel these rough rigid ropey things all over my head. Hmm these feel alot like dreadlocks!Since I just forgot all about them and did my thing they were able to do their thing and we both got a lot accomplished.To justify this as a maintnance post I would make a case that the best technique is to SET IT...AND FORGET IT! Doesnt matter how you set it; natural, backcomb, twist and rip, whatever, just try not to pay too much attention to them and let them do their thing. The more you inspect and count and obsess the longer it will seem to take and the more "flaws" you will find to worry about.I know that seems sort of counterproductive to the idea of this forum because all we do is talk about our hair all day lol. But this forum I think is more of a place where similar minded people can meet up and talk about anything. Very stimulating discussion. PLus when people come here and freak out about how can they save their dreads from looking original, we can tell them to relax and their hair is perfect for them and maybe instead of thinking about their hair all day they should talk to us about teepees, drums, unicycles and fruit. lol
updated by @didjeridurian: 01/13/15 08:27:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
grrrrrrrreat postthe reason mine seemed to dread magicaly fast (naturaly) was i was at a gathgeriing, in the wooods 200 miles from the nearest mirror having the time of my life so i dunno how long i was there..and yea for a few weeks i totaly forgot i had hair (and for several hours a body too..lol)dreads happen fast when you atret payin attention to tryin to dread..in fact all u gotta do is stop payin attention to preventing dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
this is awesome and totally true. As soon as I learned to let go and let my hair do my thing is when progress started happening. Awesome Possom!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i havent looked in a mirror in a year and 1/2 been wanting to take a picture of myself just to see what all these crazy congos look like now..lol

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
wow that seems like a long time! I'm gonna have to try that soaringeagle said:
i havent looked in a mirror in a year and 1/2 been wanting to take a picture of myself just to see what all these crazy congos look like now..lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
well....now that i think about it i may have glanced in 1 last winter oh waow i just realized theres a huge huge mirror right next to me that i never even noticed..lolhmm the congos look kinda coolnot as crazy as i thought Jo McClelland said:
wow that seems like a long time! I'm gonna have to try that

soaringeagle said:

--
Jayah O
@jayah-o
15 years ago
38 posts
"low and behold I feel these rough rigid ropey things all over my head. Hmm these feel alot like dreadlocks!" Does this mean you are going to post a new pic?.. *hint, hint*"PLus when people come here and freak out about how can they save their dreads from looking original, we can tell them to relax and their hair is perfect for them and maybe instead of thinking about their hair all day they should talk to us about teepees, drums, unicycles and fruit. lol" You forgot hula hoops! :)
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
yeah, you definitely notice the biggest changes once you stop fretting over every change
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
:))))))))))))))))))))))))if ne1 ever asks 'how do u get your hair like that' ill always tell um the same thingggjus stop worryin about ur hair.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
Seriously!! When I have to work all week, and have the house to clean, the cat box to scoop and meals to prepare for my family I totally forget that I have dreads. And sure enough after a few days of just letting them be, they need to be separated a bit, but all and all they're looking more and more like my own perfect set of dreads! Plus, the baking soda and sea salt wash is REALLY helping things along nicely!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form