Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

shampoo and oil

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

Ok..I've been using, and will probably continue to use, 100% natural black soap on my hair/dreadies..but I keep my eye out for shampoos that would work..Stumbled upon a site, kind of expensive, but the stuff looks decent...here are three things i was looking at:

http://www.ethicalocean.com/product/shampoo-bar

http://www.ethicalocean.com/product/flame-forest-oil

http://www.ethicalocean.com/product/peppermint-tea-tree-shampoo

what do you guys think..?

[that second one i was looking at because i tend to have dandruff]

updated by @katie-kendall: 02/14/15 05:42:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id try to get heather or panterra to take a look

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

I liked this one:

The choice is yours. I would rather just make it myself. You are welcome to check out my oil. I sell it at cost so that everyone can utilize the beauty of ingredients that come from mother nature.

Nourish Dreadlock Oil

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

thank-you for you input..your oil looks awesome, i favorited it on etsy..i'm trying to manage the last of the money i have right now..was going to buy separate oils to add into my soap and rinses..your oil looks promising though..thanks again for the response..=]

Mary said:

I liked this one:

The choice is yours. I would rather just make it myself. You are welcome to check out my oil. I sell it at cost so that everyone can utilize the beauty of ingredients that come from mother nature.

Nourish Dreadlock Oil

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Whatever you do is your choice. I used to add some tea tree oil to peppermint flavored Dr Bronners. And when I could not afford that I used Dr. Woods Peppermint castille shampoo with the same ingredients(as Dr. Bronners peppermint soap) for like

8 dollars for a 32 ounce bottle.

I got it that cheap at a wholesale store in Queens, NY. You can find it for a few dollars more online:

Dr Woods Pure Peppermint Soap

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

the tea tree shampoo sounds nice. it hasSodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate andDisodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate which are both mild coconut derived cleansing agents. it does have aloe high on the list which i try to avoid because it makes my hair too soft. i'd be interested to see how well it works in hard water.

the shampoo bar might be good for someone with really mature dreadlocks. the shea butter could possibly leave residue though. also its a palm oil based soap and i try to stay away from palm oil products because ofdeforestation issues.

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

thank you so much! that was all really helpful..i have pretty hard water at my house, so i'm always trying to hear other peoples experiences with the same problem..but yeah, my dreads are far from mature..i'm only a month, maybe two, into letting them form on their own..and while they're much further along than i ever would have expected, they still have a long way to go...i'll most likely just stick with using my black soap and doing a baking soda rinse every now and then..

Heather said:

the tea tree shampoo sounds nice. it hasSodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate andDisodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate which are both mild coconut derived cleansing agents. it does have aloe high on the list which i try to avoid because it makes my hair too soft. i'd be interested to see how well it works in hard water.

the shampoo bar might be good for someone with really mature dreadlocks. the shea butter could possibly leave residue though. also its a palm oil based soap and i try to stay away from palm oil products because ofdeforestation issues.

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

ooo, that shampoo looks nice..i just worry if the vitamin e would make my hair too soft..? do you have a list of the other ingredients?

Mary said:

Whatever you do is your choice. I used to add some tea tree oil to peppermint flavored Dr Bronners. And when I could not afford that I used Dr. Woods Peppermint castille shampoo with the same ingredients(as Dr. Bronners peppermint soap) for like

I got it that cheap at a wholesale store in Queens, NY. You can find it for a few dollars more online:

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

dr. woods is a castile soap like bronners. if you have hard water than your probably not going to want to use it since you won't be able to completely rinse it out. vitamin e has sudsing capabilities so thats probably why that added it to the soap. large amounts of vitamin e are actually drying.

Katie Kendall said:

ooo, that shampoo looks nice..i just worry if the vitamin e would make my hair too soft..? do you have a list of the other ingredients?

Mary said:

Katie Kendall
@katie-kendall
13 years ago
43 posts

interesting and good to know, thanks again! ^-^

Heather said:

dr. woods is a castile soap like bronners. if you have hard water than your probably not going to want to use it since you won't be able to completely rinse it out. vitamin e has sudsing capabilities so thats probably why that added it to the soap. large amounts of vitamin e are actually drying.

Katie Kendall said:

Mary said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form