Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

IM PREGNANT!!! but..

Cassie
@cassie
13 years ago
11 posts

I just found out a few days ago my hubby and I are expecting in May :) My hair is still to short to even tangle from the first go around with my dreads. How do people react when you have dreadlocks and have a child? I'm really not worried about self-esteem here but I don't want the negativity hurting our child. Regardless of society I'm still growing my hair and going all natural but I do want to be prepared so in 9 months when I have my actual baby and my baby dreadlocks I have a sense of what to expect...

updated by @cassie: 01/13/15 09:10:48PM
Jade
@jade
13 years ago
8 posts

I live in Louisiana. Super super conservative uptight. My husband and I have dreads, and my 7 year old daughter is starting hers. We get funny looks, and lots of questions, but it's really not bad at all. I expected it to be terrible. When my daughter expressed that she wanted them I sat her down and talked to her about the possibility of people judging her based on her hair, to which she expressed that 'mean people don't matter'. Don't ever let societies standards have and effect on you and your family. Love your baby, love your family, and people will see that. Plus you have a good 4 years before your child has any idea whats really going on, and when your child does start worrying, just explain it to them. Now is a good time to surround yourself with people who accept you for you no matter what, and your child will realize... eventually... and way earlier than other people... is that people who judge you based on your hair are simply not worth your time. Hope this was helpful and encouraging =) Good luck with your pregnancy!!!!

Cassie
@cassie
13 years ago
11 posts

Thank you! Yea im really nervous and excited and scared but i have great support and an awesome father for my child! Thank you for your advice. I can't wait for everything to fall into place! I'm sure your daughters dreads look so adorable!!!

Brandy :]
@brandy
13 years ago
106 posts

Im not a mother so cant give you any advice, but jade has it right :) and juast wanted to saycongratulations!

Cassie
@cassie
13 years ago
11 posts

Thank you!!! I kinda want to yell it to the world! I cant wait to hear the heart beat!

laura ewing
@laura-ewing
13 years ago
40 posts

Congrats!!!...I was 7 months pregnant when I decided to grow my dreads...my family wasn't happy about it and my husband is on the navy, so I wasn't sure about how people were going to react,but I did it and I am pretty happy about it!!....I am about to have my baby in a couple of weeks and my family is coming from Spain to be with me when my baby arrive. I cant wait to see their faces!!!

As long as you and your husband are happy about it everything is going to be fine,after all you have to live your own life,cuz if you are to worry about what people think, in the end you will realize that you lived other peoples life not yours and you will probably regret it!!

Take care and congratulations again!!

Cassie
@cassie
13 years ago
11 posts
congrats on your pregnancy too! wow that must be hard having your husband gone, i hope your delivery goes well!
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Congratulations! Enjoy the happiness of the moment, don't let worries about the future spoil it. Beyond that, I could say no more than what Jade has alreadysaid.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form