Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

essential oil spray question.

Choice1080
@choice1080
13 years ago
5 posts

I'm new to the essential oil deal. But did some research on the site and elsewhere. I love the feeling and smell of the oils and wanted to create a "leave in spray" to use. I have spent 9years without ever using anything that would strengthen my hair (would only wash it with DHHQ shampoo which does nothing to help the hair or scalp other than clean). So anyway I was wondering if someone knows the effects of some of the oils to recommend a blend for me. What I'm looking for is a blend to spray on and leave untill next cleaning. I want to strengthen the hair from breaking (try to revitalize the hair a bit from 9years of abuse), stimulate/ refresh the scalp to encourage new hair growth, but also not make my hair too soft (my hair is naturally soft and wavy so I like to keep it a bit dryer to encourage the hair to dread quicker at the roots. Right now I made a mix of peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lemon juice, and water. But wanted to get some input from some people who actually know what they doing with the essential oils.

Thanks,

updated by @choice1080: 01/13/15 09:10:37PM
Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

I am writing up a page for the site on essential oils. It doesn't sound like you have any problems so I'll give you some info for general. I hope this helps. Clary Sage is good for the hair follicles. Lavender balances pH. Rosemary is a bit of a conditioner so not sure if you want or need this. Lemon is good. Lemon juice is drying to the hair. but lemon oil assists for scaly, itchy scalp. I think you have a nice blend already. If no problems, I think that you choose what smells good for you. Personally I sometimes use pure Witch Hazel as a carrier for the oils for a spray. Also, Sage is good for hair follicle by assisting with nutrients to the hair shaft. Eating foods with Sulfur as Sulfur maintains strength of hair. Hope this helps.

Choice1080
@choice1080
13 years ago
5 posts

Thanks so much! Another quick question. Are there any essential oils that are not good to leave in? I saw a lot of recommendations for oils to put on your hair then rinse out. But was unsure if some oils are not ok to just leave in.

Thanks again.

Arden Rayne said:

I am writing up a page for the site on essential oils. It doesn't sound like you have any problems so I'll give you some info for general. I hope this helps. Clary Sage is good for the hair follicles. Lavender balances pH. Rosemary is a bit of a conditioner so not sure if you want or need this. Lemon is good. Lemon juice is drying to the hair. but lemon oil assists for scaly, itchy scalp. I think you have a nice blend already. If no problems, I think that you choose what smells good for you. Personally I sometimes use pure Witch Hazel as a carrier for the oils for a spray. Also, Sage is good for hair follicle by assisting with nutrients to the hair shaft. Eating foods with Sulfur as Sulfur maintains strength of hair. Hope this helps.

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

Most are just fine. You could have a sensitivity but that is fairly rare. That is why I use therapeutic grade oils. I don't recommend aromatherapy grade oils as they contain chemicals and solvents. (Young Living oils or Mountain Rose Herbs) I will rinse with the oils (with water) but i don't completely wash it out.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

You don't want to leave in lemon juice and I don't recommend that it is routinely used. Yes, it is drying...it is a corrosive and can break the hair if used habitually. Also, I wouldn't recommend using Witch Hazel as a carrier...it is not an oil. Why wouldn't you want to use a carrier oil...as a carrier oil???? Witch hazel is an antiseptic. Keep in mind that essential oils are very helpful in improving the outer structure of the hair by softening and conditioning. Some oils are also medicinal and can aid in scalp health by helping to clear dandruff, itchiness, etc. What the oils can not do is increase strength or hair growth, as these actions take place in the follicle on a deeper level than the oils can reach or penetrate. Eating foods with sulphur will not benefit the sulphur bonds directly as suggested...the food eaten is not broken down to microscopic level that directly impacts the cystine bonds...although, a healthy diet is always beneficial to not only the hair, but our entire system.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form